The Drowning Pool - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Drowning Pool Reviews

May 19, 2016
Ecrit par Walter Hill et réalisé par Scott Rosenberg (deux noms qu'on associe avec une certaine qualité, habituellement), The Drowning Pool n'a pas vraiment d'intrigue centrée mais possède beaucoup de style et une atmosphère assez pesante dans un bayou typique de Louisiane. Si Paul Newman domine encore les débats, force est de constater qu'ils sont particulièrement peu intéressant cette fois-ci et que cette lutte de pouvoir entre un magnat du pétrole et l'ex du personnage principal n'a rien de passionnant. Hormis une bonne scène dans un appartement inondé, The Drowning Pool n'apporte rien de nouveau au genre, malgré un score remarquable.
April 11, 2015
good private eye pic like the one played by frank sanatra in 'tony rome"
½ January 25, 2015
An unremarkable private eye film, but it has a few top rate scenes and it does not stumble too badly.
½ February 10, 2014
The pacing isn't as good as the original, which is a shame.
Still, it's a good story.
½ July 15, 2013
"Drowning Pool" es el regreso de Lew Harper, un cinico y astuto detective privado interpretado a la perfeccion por Paul Newman. Aunque esta especie de secuela fue destrozada por la critica en su epoca, vista hoy es un trabajo entretenido, con mucha clase y giros interesantes. Recomendada para los amantes del genero detectivesco.
½ March 16, 2013
The Drowning Pool (1975) -- [5.0] -- Paul Newman returns as private eye Lew Harper, hired by an ex-flame to solve a blackmail case involving adultery and oil-rich land. As with the previous "Harper" film, the stakes are never high enough and no one's quite worth caring about. The film is good for one suspenseful set piece involving a flooding room (hence the title?), but it's a pretty sleepy movie otherwise. If you love Newman, he might be enough carry you over the finish line. Joanne Woodward is very good as the ex-flame and Murray Hamilton is memorable as a nasty oil baron. Young Melanie Griffith pops up as Woodward's nymphet daughter.
August 30, 2012
I chose to go see this with one guy over going to see Joan Jett and the BlackHearts with another guy... DUMB MOVE!!!!!
½ April 7, 2012
Excellent mid-seventies noir
December 31, 2011
This is a great little movie. Now I'll have to take a look at the 1966 movie HARPER.
½ August 19, 2011
Watched this a few nights ago. Must have been Joanne Woodward night!
This is a wonderful detective/drama with an amazing cast. Seeing some of the old school actors and actresses is alway enjoyable. Seeing Melanie Griffith at what appears to be late teen early twenty something was kind of a shock to me! Makes me feel olde :). Worth watching. Especially with 200 channels and nothing else worth wathcning!
August 14, 2011
good stuff and interesting sequel to "Harper"
August 2, 2011
New Orleans is a great backdrop, but this is not as interesting as the first. I'm not sure if its the shift from the 60s filmed on sets to the 70s filmed on locations, a different director, a different writer or my lack of conviction for Joanne Woodward, but this just falls flat. Also the homophobic humor wears thin from HARPER to this film.
January 20, 2011
½ December 27, 2010
THE DROWNING POOL (1975)
½ September 7, 2010
Good, old-fashioned detective thriller. They don't make them like this any more.
½ August 12, 2010
secuela de Harper, malona
January 31, 2010
An excellent sequel to Harper. It takes everything great from the first film without being repetitive. Paul Newman delivered a great performance as did a young Melanie Griffith. The story was extremely intriguing and entertaining, while also having a light hearted, comedic tone. Stuart Rosenberg made a film that isn't just fluff, it's extremely well made. If you enjoyed the first, I can't see you not liking this.
December 26, 2009
Good, but nothing extraordinary, and considering the cast, I would have expected more. It?s well made, a little to slow in parts, but generally satisfying.
December 26, 2009