Drums Along the Mohawk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drums Along the Mohawk Reviews

dietmountaindew
May 31, 2010
full of stereotypes, especially the description of indians as ape-like barbarians or christianity-converted dim-witts. i watched it just because i was curious how claudette colbert looks in color movies, and her costumes are sorta plain without the genius touch of paramout's travis banton, not doing colbert justice. henry fonda feels lacklusterly awkward with his un-becoming pig-tail. the reason i could be able to abscent-mindedly finish viewing it is its striking photography of inland wilderness, and how soothingly wide the blue sky is rendered along with limitlessly grand pastures, cliffy hills and the massive forests of tall pines(who knows what kind of tree is that..)..it manifests the aloof charm of primitive inland america despite the people in it weren't (portrayed) half as charming as its breath-taking landscapes. i would certainly watch it again to doze off while gazing at those striking views of celluloid nature.
½ March 21, 2010
<3 Henry Fonda... on est complètement perturbé par le point de vue de Ford en se disant même que les indiens sont les méchants...
January 5, 2010
At once rebels AND imperialists. Don't feel sorry for anyone who needs a fort, fortress, castle, or palace. In any case, Fonda and Colbert here are so cloying and mewling that I only maintained interest in the faint hope of seeing them both scalped by Mohawks. I blame the story, not John Ford.
½ November 28, 2009
Another great movie by John Ford, and another great movie from 1939. How he made this, and Stagecoach, and Young Mr. Lincoln in the same year is amazing, as is the fact that so few films have been made about the American Revolution.
November 18, 2009
Great film about the early midwest.
September 18, 2009
Claudette Colbert and Henry Fonda make a beautiful couple on the screen.
John Carradine is very good.
A solid and impressive work from Ford. A must see for western lovers as well as early settlers cinema.
This is a story of people who built America.
August 14, 2009
Better then you expect.
½ June 23, 2009
Classic Eastern movie, I say Eastern instead of Western because the story happens in New York State during the American Revolution war, although in those days this part of the state where this story occurs, the Mohawk Valley, was considered 'West', so to call this film a Western wouldn't be completely false, although it reminded me more of a high quality Daniel Boon episode, than a true Western.

So, this Frontier 'Western' film starring Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert is not only an educational experience, but it's entertaining at the same time, and considering this film is quite old, it did not drag. The pace is nice and steady, with enough drama and wonderful performances to keep even jaded movie fans interested.

This is a John Ford film, so you can't go wrong here, this film has a high degree of craftsmanship and mastery, it's a wonderful depiction of those uncertain times when men and women going westward had to be courageous, and very resourceful to survive.

This is a testament of the American people during the revolution, their relentless courage and their eventual victory and independence.

A beautiful story of courage, Love, freedom and hope.
½ May 24, 2009
Watched this for the first time tonight. There are so few quality movies about the American Revolution it was nice to see on that didn't totally stink(a la The Patriot)...

Typically good John Ford movie...
Dracula787
½ May 16, 2009
I?ve always had a love hate relationship with John Ford, love the filmmaking hate the politics. One of the most notable periods of Fords career was the period from 1939 to 1940 when he released four movies, three of them classics. The classics were Stagecoach, Young Mr. Lincoln, and The Grapes of Wrath, then there was Drums Along the Mohawk which is said to be quite good, but not up to the level of the other three in the winning streak. I felt compelled to check it out, and I?m probably going to concur with popular opinion. This was Ford?s first color film, and it has that really beautiful look of other late-thirties color flicks. I also liked that the film was a look at the American Revolution?s western front fighting against Native Americans allied with the British, not a section of history that?s examined very often. Aside from those two interesting aspects, the film is mostly lacking. The characters were boring, and the film?s view of Native Americans seemed unsavory even by Western standards.
½ May 7, 2009
John Ford's first color film is quite good. One of about 3 really good to great films he made in 1939. Henry Fonda is great and so is the rest of the cast.
shesdownbytheriver
March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
February 17, 2009
Admittedly not Ford's best, not even his best in 1939 but Drums Along the Mohawk is still one of the better movies about the American Revolution and it contains some of Ford's most beautiful compositions.
February 11, 2009
The first Henry Fonda movie I haven't liked.
½ December 19, 2008
Amazing performances by everyone. Typical Ford story about ordinary people. Incredible details in everything concerned.
December 17, 2008
Fun film about a Newlywed couple who move to the frontier of upstate New York during the American Revolution. While they are there they have problems with the weather, Indians, and the damn British! This is Ford's 1st color film and it looks great. It was all shot on location in Utah and it is one of the best looking films of its time. There is a chase scene where 3 Indians are chasing Fonda through the plains and wilderness that is intense and gorgeous.
½ December 10, 2008
Great period piece from John Ford.
September 13, 2008
watchable only for the amusingly terrible representation of natives
September 2, 2008
good stuff great story and cast
August 16, 2008
I have come to realize that John Ford is the greatest director of American films to have ever walked the earth. He seems to have mastered the art of storytelling completely and focused on varying periods of American history. It??s interesting that he was able to bring to life so many different chapters of American history and yet his passion lay closer to Ireland and The Quiet Man. It only proves once again that one can be simultaneously proud of one??s ancestral lands and country, even if they are separated by an ocean. I am similarly drawn to England, Wales, and Germany even though I am also obviously an American. It??s incredible this is Ford??s first Technicolor effort as it looks incredible, but then again he did have Mrs. Kalmus in the lab (sense the sarcasm, but she did make it look beautiful usually). The chase scene towards the end looks spectacular. It is certainly a far cry from more modern interpretations of the color palette associated with frontier areas though. I can??t say I??m a big Colbert fan, but Fonda turns in another stellar performance and has the eyes to go along with it. I can??t immediately recall a revolutionary war film that compares to this in quality. It??s interesting how relevant aspects of it could be to the current conflicts America is involved in, but the film certainly was not about COIN for Ford. He definitely knows how to end a film though.