Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon Reviews

• Sep 17, 2018

Thought it was a great movie about the group writers and comedians that I grew up on.

• Feb 16, 2018

Pretty cool story to such a massive movie franchise and the basis of SNL in the 80s

• Feb 13, 2018

Excellent exploration into the world of National Lampoon, Henry Beard, and of course Doug Kenney. A nearly perfect and completely hypnotic documentary on an exciting chapter in the evolution of American pop culture.

• Jan 23, 2018

wanted more clips, more detail more critique and much more political context

wanted more clips, more detail more critique and much more political context

• Apr 22, 2017

Something I didn't know much about. Insightful.

Something I didn't know much about. Insightful.

• Feb 20, 2017

Comedy history lesson.

Comedy history lesson.

• Feb 05, 2017

Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. As expected.

Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. As expected.

• Feb 02, 2017

This documentary about the rise and fall of the "National Lampoon" magazine and it's spin-offs on stage, radio, and screen...the people involved, and it's influence and impact on the comedy world. It is well made and entertaining, and you can definitely see the influence this brand had on the comedy world. From SNL to the raunchy comedy films of the 80s, this Magazine practically launched a comedic genre. I sort of wish the downfall of the magazine and the dilution of the brand, as now it seems like any stupid direct-to-video comedy crap gets the National Lampoon logo slapped on it...you know, how did that happen? But for the rise and the very beginnings of the fall, or at least the tail end of the glory years, this is a fine documentary.

• Jan 30, 2017

The root of all evil (modern American humor).

The root of all evil (modern American humor).

• Jan 23, 2017

For fans of National Lampoon, 'Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon" will be a welcome stroll down memory lane. For those who know nothing about the brilliance of the Lampoon franchise this will have no effect unless you are a fan of satire in all it's glory. There aren't as many laughs here as I had expected, but this is a fine documentary on many levels. Final Score 7.0/10