Dry Summer (Susuz yaz) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dry Summer (Susuz yaz) Reviews

September 3, 2014
Winner of Silver Bear at 1964 Berlianle
March 27, 2014
A movie ahead of its time, mixing Marxist ideology, sexual tension and vengeance into a tense piece that leaves you all wide-eyed as to its outcome. The immaculate direction, with the lusty brother and his nervous sister-in-law played out with such drama and verve with the camera panning and angled just right to maximize the fear we feel as to its outcome in the end. A really powerful film with as much theatrics with its final display itself.
½ January 21, 2014
A good movie that ends up having some great twists and turns. It's interesting in that the movie follows the antagonist around. The construction of the story seems a bit rough. The acting is fairly good and the cinematography is nice. I would never have watched this movie if I knew they were going to kill a dog. The scene of them doing so seems to randomly come out of nowhere, so there's no foreshadowing of the event. They really kill the dog, too - no movie trickery or special effects. I wish I could unsee/unhear that...
ElCochran90
July 10, 2011
The concept can be maximized to any country fighting for basic riches and supplies over another country, just like Bush and his barbaric war over oil. Moreover, the next international war will most certainly be for water. Susuz Yaz is a phenomenal masterpiece of Turkish cinema that treats the population's respect towards the traditions within family hierarchies even in the most irresponsible and unjust circumstances. You will rarely meet a lead character so hateful and repulsive.

99/100
½ June 12, 2011
Wasn't expecting to find this on here and I don't have anything to say
½ April 5, 2010
necati cumalının bir hikayesidir. metin erksanın 1964 yılı yapımıdır. 1974 yılında yılmaz duru tarafından da çekilmi?tir.hülya koçyi?it hanımefendinin 15 ya?ında oynadı?ı izmirin bademler köyünde çekilmi? altın ayı ödüllü film.
½ December 9, 2009
A dark drama about the covetous nature of man and the self-righteous abuse of power that ensues whenever it is acted on. Osman, the antagonist, instigates every conflict with his lustfulness and kiniving. Each plot point pivots on his next atrocious deed. The do-gooders are persuaded to abide by his wickedness for one reason or another, making for a very frustrating but affective viewing experience. The story is maybe a minimalistic allegory for capitalism, using water as the driving symbol and the source of some intrigueing imagery. The acting isn't superb, but in several scenes, the shifting of status is illustrated by very well-executed blocking. The movement is accompanied by some rather fantastic camera work, and with the quick editing, the film moves rapidly. Other than some monotonous action sequences, Dry Summer is very riveting and certainly dense.
August 26, 2009
A good but hard portrait of rural Turkey, that remembers other portraits of rural Spain of Italy. Brutalty and confrontation of interests drive characters to the final tragedy. Maybe the best Turkish movie of all times.
July 25, 2009
A Turkish farmer antagonises his neighbours and his younger brother by trying to monopolise the local water supply during a period of drought. I was a little disappointed with this. The argument over water rights, which takes up the first half of the movie, is (if you'll pardon the pun) shallow, repetitive and boring. There is some drama in the second half, but it pivots on such a colossal piece of gullibility that it's impossible to take seriously. As far as I'm concerned, anybody who confesses to a crime he didn't commit, trots docilely off to clink to serve his time and leaves the real culprit to "look after" his beautiful young wife, that sap deserves everything he gets, with interest. The film is very attractively photographed and has a good score. BE WARNED though: it does contain some senseless and unpleasant animal cruelty.
May 20, 2009
COMPUTER SCREEN. Hermosa a la vista y conmovedora, aunque su narrativa es algo rstica. / Beautiful to look at and moving, but its narrative is somewhat rustic.
May 16, 2009
Apparently I'm the fifth person on Facebook to rate this film. It's a remarkable film. It's one part Bergman's 'Virgin Spring,' and one part P.T.Anderson's 'There WIll Be Blood.'
It's theme, it's message of unrestrained passion and it's ability to corrupt humanity, is done here with more ethos and clarity than any film I've seen. This film will assuredly haunt my thoughts, in a good way, for many years to come.