The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox Reviews

May 9, 2016
You know what was wrong with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? Too many men. Yep. This comedy, engineered on the heels of that one, reimagines those turn of the century Western escapades with that formula in mind. And so Segal plays a con artist on the lam from some bandits he snookered, and Hawn plays a woman of ill repute who joins him. The idea is not terribly bad but the execution feels forced though the stars bend over backward to inject the thing with charm. Neither will ever mention this effort in conversation of their own accord although it becomes an interesting artifact of the times it was made.
½ September 23, 2014

"One day on, six days off."-Amanda Quaid AKA Bluebird Aka The Duchess (Goldie Hawn)

Funny banter, specially the smucko bit, but not as funny as it wants to be.

Ta, ta.
½ September 6, 2011
Cute looks can't save this film. It was pretty flimsy even for its time.
November 14, 2009
Decent western comedy.
½ October 11, 2009
Accidentally watched part of this on cable.
½ October 2, 2009
It's definitely a bit dated but I thought this movie was funny from start to finish. The movie opens with a dance hall scene laden with sexual innuendo which would have been a bit naughty and bawdy for back in the days. Goldie Hawn is simply delightful as a saloon entertainer/hooker who later pretends to be a Duchess in order to become a wealthy Mormon's seventh wife. Hey! It's better to work one night of the week rather than every night.

Segal is an unlucky womanizing cardsharp who keeps getting caught cheating but later absconds with $40,000 in stolen loot from a band of outlaws. Hawn and Segal work well together fighting and sparring all through the movie. Another hilarious character is BlackJack, George Segal's loyal well trained horse, his antics was too amusing for words.

Most memorable scenes for me includes the coded conversation supposedly in French in the stagecoach between the two adversaries and Goldie Hawn singing the very suggestive "Don't touch my plums" for the Mormon family that had him drooling lol. (I don't know if it is just me but if u stare long enough at the poster, Goldie's elbow looks like a bare breast!!!)

So if you like romantic western comedies, this one is not to be missed. The humor, though suggestive, is actually pretty smart.
March 5, 2009
Goldie Hawn is delightful in this western.
August 11, 2008
Very interesting although I would have preferred that they all die at the end.
July 14, 2008
A great old fashioned western; with typical hilarious scenes with Goldie and George Segal!
June 10, 2008
Witty and Sarcastic. Fast Paced , Sharp Tongued Wit from a Fiesty Woman especially given this is a 1976 film
April 24, 2008
sorro forgot the stars
March 15, 2008
Fun film. Zany little story that's funnier than it seems like it should be (NT)
½ September 2, 2007
Minor film, the odd pairing of George Segal and Goldie Hawn just doesn't quite work. There isn't a lot of chemistry between them. There are a few laughs along the way, and the theme song "Lemon Drops, Lollipops and Sunbeams" is downright dreadful.
August 21, 2007
i would like to see this one..
August 18, 2007
keep votre moutho absoluto buttoned up - geschmevis : )
July 26, 2007
a great movie i want to get
July 18, 2007
One Of My Top 3 Fav Movies Of All Time.
July 2, 2007
There's one scene in the middle of The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox--with Goldie Hawn and George Segal carrying on a foreign language conversation that stumbles across French, German, and Italian (with a little Yiddish thrown in)--that quali...
June 21, 2007
This is my all time favorite film. Cant believe is 30 years it was first made. Really funny and I think it would still stand the test of time