Duck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Duck Reviews

March 20, 2011
This seemed like a quirky enough premise to perhaps be worthwhile. It was not. It gets a full star because of the duck. Otherwise, why are these humans in this movie? Many of them seem to have successful lives as actors or dermatologists. What were they thinking?

This movie tries to be a great many things and fails terribly at all of them. A commentary on aging in America? Scratch. A commentary on homelessness? Scratch. A commentary on the artificiality of social milieus and the possibility of transcending them if one can just give up attachment or recognition of them? Scratch.

Arthur makes repeated references to WWII, leading one to believe that he was there - except that he was born in 1933, and I doubt he was there at the age of 11. A man who appears to have lived a normal life by the world's standards - albeit one lined with tragedy - transitions to being the homeless guardian and friend of a duck with little or no apparent angst, bitterness, or even self-awareness.

The story relies on trite stereotypes but doesn't even bother to do anything with them. There are plenty of moments where it's clear we're supposed to just be gasping with sudden insight and appreciation - the film does everything except flash a blinking "GASP APPRECIATIVELY!" or "CHUCKLE SYMPATHETICALLY" sign in the corner of the screen. I sort of wish it had - it would have provided something better to watch. This film has no point, no resolution, and no characters that we can truly empathize or connect with in any way.

Except perhaps the duck. And I felt *bad* for him that he didn't have a better agent.
½ February 15, 2011
Great concept, but incredibly boring. The script isn't good, although Philip Baker Hall does great with a horrible role. The duck is a pretty good actor. There is no reason for so much of the movie to be in red. It isn't often when you can point out bad editing, but here the editing is really off.
November 6, 2010
Great movie about the relationships people can have with there pets, and how pets can give so much to humans. The strong bond between Arthur and his duck Joe was touching and real.
½ July 30, 2010
Good idea, sweet, fun parts, but it just seemed to drag on and on and on; and it was only 90 minutes. Good movie to see, thoughtful and thought provoking, just the the greatest if you're looking for something exciting.
½ August 29, 2009
A very sad movie, it was kind of slow in some parts.
August 22, 2009
Very simple story yet so charming and touching. It also said a lot about the plight of homelessness and old age.
August 6, 2009
The movie started strong and then dragged on for what seemed like hours. Excluding a few good scenes, such as Hall's talks with Amy Hill, the bulk of this movie was merely an extended view of one man trying to maintain his dignity while caring for an nontraditional pet. While it is easy to lose interest in this film, Hall did an amazing job.
July 30, 2009
A good, simple film. The plot isn't "gripping" or "heart-pounding", and you can tell that some of the minor supporting actors haven't been "classically trained" but, it's an independent film. I'd recommend it to anyone who has the attention span greater than that of a tree frog.
½ July 28, 2009
Only people like me rent movies about the adventures of old men and their pet ducks and there's probably a reason for that. They aren't so great. When I read the back of the box, I thought it sounded really unique and charming. There were some moments that were charming and others that were actually comical. However, a person can only take so many minutes of a man talking to a duck. And that's coming from someone who adores ducks.

I think the main issue was that I should have felt sorry for an old man who was suddenly homeless and whose family had all died. But I didn't. And that is the fault of the movie, not me. Even bad movies are able to pull at the heart strings. In fact, many use cheap tricks to do just that because they've got absolutely nothing else to offer. This movie didn't even do that.

So, a movie that had potential to be touching and full of adventure was only midly entertaining with, what seemed like, a lot of dead air. Disappointing indeed.
July 8, 2009
This was kind of sweet and odd.
July 4, 2009
This was really, really random. I thought the beginning was really good, where the audience sees how the protagonist comes to a certain depressing situation, and being with the duck as it grows up at first is also charming. However, past that, it seems that the situations are a little bit too random and disconnected. I feel like there could have been more to such an interesting premise.
May 26, 2009
I loved the simplicity and pacing of the film. Well acted, sensitively directed and pleasant cinematography. It can be a bit slow moving, but overall it works.
May 24, 2009
Modern retirement in the USA....
April 8, 2009
I am sure that this movie will be more useful in some years, as portraying the reality of the social and enviromental policies in the USA, during the George Bush´s administration. It is a pretty nice movie with nothing else but a monologue and just few actors that complement the world view and the refexions of a man who has lost everything.
March 27, 2009
this movie felt a little too empty at certain parts - and not the thoughtful empty, just the empty empty.

anyways, I'm kind of a sucker for animals in movies, and Joe was cool ass duck.
March 25, 2009
How great is this? Seriously. I gotta see this.
March 15, 2009
A rather odd film. Pretty good. Very peculiar.
February 20, 2009
To even rate this film on a 5-star scale is to ensnare it with comparisons to other, lesser titles. Arthur and Joe deserve better!
February 17, 2009
My hubby thought I was a bit crazy to rent this, but it is just a simple, well done story. No swearing, no gore, no violence, just a sweet hrsart felt movie. That Karl did end up enjoying. I thought it well done and bit sad at times, but o enjoyed it quite a bit.
½ January 30, 2009
was hoping this flick would speak to me, all i heard was quack...2.5 stars.