DuckTales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

DuckTales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp Reviews

March 29, 2017
I really enjoyed the DuckTales shows as a kid, and I know I saw this movie (we definitely had it on tape) but my memory of the movie were clearly mixed up with memories of some episode or two of the show. I rewatched this with my kid, and while it is nice light entertainment, it isn't going to blow anybody away. But it is fun for the kids and holds up pretty well, unlike some of the other cheaper (like this one) animated flicks from my childhood.
February 25, 2017
Ashley : This is Duck Tales the Movie it's great!
Bryan: I haven't seen this since I was a kid. I don't remember the plot.
A few minutes later...
Bryan: You mean to tell me that he takes his niece and nephews in search of treasure then he makes them (and a native) dig all the way down to open the ancient Egyptian tomb?
Ashley: Your damn right he does. He's Scrooge McF****n' Duck.
½ January 14, 2017
It's not your ordinary ducktales but now Disney turned it into a movie and it's not that bad. Ok ducktales movie that isn't as good as the tv show but at least gives a try, it's not bad and it's not the best, it's in the middle. I like the adventure that uncle scrooge and the ducks take and find a geni. To me this plot could fit in a 2 part episode but instead they turned it into a movie, it's very unnecessary but it's fine that Disney turned it into a movie, I don't think it's smart because I finally new about this movie after I watched ducktales and boom 2 years later I find out that there is a ducktales movie but hey let's see if the ducktales reboot well be better or do just as good as this movie. Who knows, time will tell when it airs.
½ December 28, 2016
Scrooge and the gang are in their first feature film, and they are looking for a long-lost treasure. They travel to the desert, and discover an ancient ruin that leads them to the treasure. What they do not know, is that an evil sorcerer Merlin is on their trail and also after the treasure.

Scrooge acquires the treasure and among it is a lamp. They get the treasure home, but the kids find out that the lamp is a special lamp that will bring out a genie. The kids each begin granting themselves wishes. When Merlin arrives, and starts to wreak havoc, the gang must get the lamp back and set everything back. Merlin is powerful and can shapeshift, and even grant himself infinite wishes with his talisman.

The Ducktales movie cuts to the chase too quickly. The film really could have used some background, history and setup to acquiring the treasure. The film starts off too quickly with the gang finding the treasure and misses out on the chance of the adventure and discovery. The rest of the movie gets a bit too repetitive with them trying to do stuff with the lamp in what is a short 1 hour and 15 film. The film is better off as a few episodes rather than a full-length feature film, and Scrooge and the gang deserve better. The film definitely will invoke a nostalgia factor if I had seen it when I was a kid, and would have enjoyed this movie much better. Fortunately, they took the premise of this plot, and made one of the greatest films in Aladdin.

-12.28.2016
October 13, 2016
This didn't even come close to being a theatrical release! Only felt like three episodes of the animated series crammed into one! I admire its ambition, but shoot, this could have been so much better!
September 8, 2016
A good funny film with action and adventure.
½ June 27, 2016
Well I guess it does kind of feel like an extended episode of the DuckTales tv show, but I think thats fine because each episode of the show felt like a mini movie anyway. As the movie goes, It's a a really fun adventure, the animation is nice, the characters are memorable, and I recommend checking it out, especially if your a fan of the show.
May 21, 2016
A re-watch as an adult will have you picking up on tiny jokes you may have missed as a kid.
May 1, 2016
I loved this film as a child and still find it cute now. It's the type of film all children will love with or without watching the cartoon series.
February 11, 2016
So these are my thoughts on Ducktales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp.

This is a childhood favorite of mine for a while, but looking back at it, I can say it does feel like an extended episode of the classic TV show. It does have fun moments, though.
This film's story is pretty good for a TV episode multi-parter, but for a feature film in cinemas, it did need a little more work since it does lack in certain areas.
I liked the villain of Merlock, but I think he could have been a bit more fierce, not be so much of a chew-toy in several parts of the film, and gotten more screentime and more varied dialogue. For a character played by Christopher Lloyd, who also played Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I think it's criminally bad how underused he was on this film's script.
I think some parts of the film were slow; it does start to pick up in the second half and gets to a good climax when Merlock finally gets the lamp. The climax, however, I think was a bit too short. It's a good climax, but it needed to be a bit longer. The big deal here is that your base movie screenplay has three acts in it. For this film, the dig and discovery of the genie is Act 1, the nephews and then Scrooge keeping the genie would be Act 2, and Scrooge losing the lamp along with his entire fortune and having to infiltrate the money bin to get it all back is basically Act 3. After Merlock obtains the lamp and turns the money bin into a floating castle, he then wishes Scrooge out of it and into a freefall. I would have written the climax to where Launchpad, who disappears completely when the money bin raid starts, manages to catch Scrooge, and then we have Merlock using that "unlimited wish" rule as we go on a floating castle raid and then a skyfalling final encounter. It could have been a bit longer or arranged a little bit better.
All this said, it, for some reason, sticks with me when the movie ends and the credits roll. I don't know why. I'm not sure there was a good enough reason and/or a good enough story backing the film to where it should be playing in theaters rather than on TV screens like a normal Ducktales adventure. The writing threshold on the silver screen is a major step in magnitude up from a television or web video series; you need to be on your A-game. This is a decent film, maybe a bit of a classic, but it didn't feel entirely like a movie.
I still enjoyed it, though. Definitely would have spent money on this over Problem Child, and I'm disappointed that this film's script and box office didn't take off, since that meant I never got my Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers movie. This was also one of two underperforming animated films from Disney that year that ended animated action films; the other was The Rescuers Down Under later that year.
What a shame. I enjoyed the ride while it lasted, but better screenwriting might have done the magic.
½ January 16, 2016
Duck Tales is awesome, and they made a movie. Its like a long normal episode. Most movies based off TVs shows fall flat. But this one worked. Fun and plenty of adventure.
½ January 5, 2016
I've never seen the DuckTales TV series, but it was still easy to watch this movie. It felt like a TV episode that stretched on for too long, but it was alright.
November 10, 2015
One of my favorite movies as a kid. This brings back so many memories
½ November 4, 2015
This movie is a blast from the past. I watched this movie many times in my childhood, and it doesn't hold up. Its basically an inferior earlier version of Aladdin, but its still entertaining for children. I never watch the television series but I loved the movie as a kid.
½ June 27, 2015
Disney really does have an extensive collection, this better then I expected
March 13, 2015
Great! I was expecting a little more but for I got, it's not half bad. Is it an Idiana Jones rip-off? Yea. Is it a betrayal to the Carl Barks/ Don Rosa comics? Probably. But I like it anyhow.
½ March 7, 2015
If you were a kid in the early 90's, there was hardly ever a better time to watch TV better than when The Disney Afternoon shows came along: The Adventures of the Gummi Bears, Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, and Darkwing Duck, among others. But no show that came out during that timeframe was more successful and more popular than DuckTales. Watching the weekly adventures of the "richest duck in the world" Scrooge McDuck; his nephews Huey, Dewey, and Lewey; and Launchpad Mcquack, Scrooge's pilot, didn't get any better. It was a terrific show, one that holds up quite well today. At the height of DuckTales' popularity, Disney decided to make a movie about Scrooge's adventures entitled DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp. What's interesting about the backstory of this movie is that it was a project that wasn't done in-house. It was farmed out to Disney's French satellite company Walt Disney Television Animation (which later became DisneyToon Studios). It's obvious from some of the aspects of the animation that it wasn't done by the same folks that did the TV show. A lot of the facial expressions, and to some degree, the quality of the animation itself, seems less polished and unrefined. Not that it mattered all that much to young people at the time, but looking back on it years later, it certainly stands out. What also stands out is the lack of main characters from the TV show in the movie. Launchpad, for instance, takes part in the beginning of the movie and disappears for the rest of it. Even with all the characters in Duckburg that had been previously seen on the show, the producers of the film felt that going with a completely new villain with hardly any of the show's supporting characters was the way to go. Again, young minds don't really care about this type of thing, but as an adult, I kept wondering where characters like Gyro, Bubba, and Fenton (Gizmoduck) were at. Even the show's villains, Glomgold, the Beagle Boys, and Magica de Spell, are nowhere to be seen. This isn't a complaint really, but it's just odd that none of these characters had a place in the movie's story. Then again, you have to look at it another way and realize that this wasn't intended to be the only movie that Disney made based on the series. The show ran for four seasons before ending and going into syndication, and it lost some of its popularity along the way. Because of this, future plans for further movie adventures of DuckTales were cancelled. It's a shame too because this isn't exactly one of their finest adventures. But with the recent announcement of a revival series, I wouldn't say that it was in impossibility for there to be a new movie down the road sometime. It's certainly not a bad idea.
January 24, 2015
A fantastic Disney television cartoon in movie-film length. Scrooge McDuck and his great-nephews Huey, Duey and Louie, travel the world on an adventure prusing a magic lamp for its inhabitant, a genie who grants wishes. Everything that was good about the TV show is present, with a bigger budget for the bigger story. Very well done.
December 13, 2014
A film that was clearly intended to illustrate the difference between power and responsibility.
½ September 10, 2014