Dungeons & Dragons - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dungeons & Dragons Reviews

½ November 3, 2017
This film is so bad it is automatically a classic some of j irons best work
August 21, 2017
This movie gets a bit better when you realize it's a labor of love. It is apparently set in the actual setting created by the writer/director for his college D&D games. You don't really ever get to find out how much of his campaign made it in here--like were hyphens a race when he ran his games? Were the characters based on his old player characters? Were beholders domesticated guard beasts in his games? With the pop-out eyestalks even? Seen in this light the movie still isn't any good, but at least it gives me some positive regard for the creator's efforts.
June 28, 2017
Entretiene, pero mataron al negro, y al final no entendํ lo de la piedra roja.
June 17, 2017
Not the greatest fantasy movie, but, not too bad either
½ April 29, 2017
From the very opening credits you can see this has poor special effects and is directed by someone without a distinct eye. I struggled to sit through this mess of ham-fisted acting and amateurish filmmaking. I'm shocked this had a 45 million budget as it does not show anywhere. The special effects are really poor, extremely poor and frustrating. I'm at a loss of how this hit cinemas when you clearly see no one cared for the film. 29/04/2017.
April 21, 2017
There was an effort.
April 16, 2017
If i grew up playing the game I might have been more offended by this film, but as it is, it is so badly acted, over-the-top, and silly, that it can be a guilty pleasure at best.
½ April 9, 2017
This movie is kind of dumb, certainly very silly with bad acting, but still somehow enjoyable.
April 2, 2017
Dungeouns and Dragons (2000)

1d6 of 5d6 dice rolls

So the 80s saw a revival of Sword and Sorcery and fantasy films, I wouldn't call it a renaissance but there was quite a few of decent ones made. Move into the 90s and something went terribly wrong.
(if you don't belive me google 90s fantasy films, Groundhogs day makes the list)

Anyways tabletop games kinda sorta made a comeback with the release of D&D 3rd edition but to the public it didn't matter much though because it was the early 2000s, and you were expected to be under fifteen to enjoy comics, fantasy or any sort of role-playing game. I was a tried and true nerd and when they announced that a new fantasy film based on my favorite table top game was coming out I was sold.

Thus became Dungeouns and Dragons, a film so awful it would set the genre back for years until the saving grace of Peter Jackson in 2004.

So the empress of generic fantasy land (looks and sounds like the girl from The never Ending Story) wants everyone to be equal but evil Jeremy Irons and his blue lipped, bald headed lackey wants the Mages guild to dominate everyone with a magical staff that controls Red Dragons even though the empress already has a staff that controls brown dragons.

Yep thats the plot, Jeremy Irons demonstrates the best over acting of his career, he's truly terrible in this and its almost a treat to watch the Lolita alumni sink so low, this is hilariously matched by the debate scenes between him and the empress who is woefully under acting. You will laugh, its that bad.

Let me get on to the protagonists of the film. The cast of charchters include, a pretty 90s girl who is the, I wanna be more than a bookworm mage and a pretty 90s boy, the I want to be more than a thief. Oh and Marlon Wayne's is in this as the goofy sidekick and he is the worst most annoying charchter and he is a huge factor in the everlasting stink of this film.

****Spoilers********

He dies and this is the most satisfying moment of the entire film, something that should be terrible, brings so much joy to your heart. There's also a drunk dwarf and a sexy black elf with boob plate armor but they litteraly don't do much the entire movie.

Some people look back fondly on this film in a nostalgic way but to me its a reminder of how dark the times were for the perception of genre. There was no effort or love put into this film, it was simply a product manufactured to cater to a quick cash grab and insults the very source material it's based on.
½ December 2, 2016
This movie is pretty much universally hated. While I understand why, due to the bad acting and horrible story line. However, part of me still finds enjoyment out of how bad it is. I can't really recommend it, but I also can't hate it as much as everyone else. That being said...I am happy that a more serious reboot is happening.
September 2, 2016
So bad it is great!!!
August 23, 2016
I love this movie. It's a little campy but it's a great fantasy story and I love to think "dexterity/charisma check!" while watching it.
½ August 17, 2016
I'm not sure what edition this film is based on because I sure as hell haven't played any edition of DnD that sucked this bad.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Thought it was pretty good, Never played the games so don't know how much it's like the games but it's entertaining but corny.
June 16, 2016
The only thing that keeps this movie from a 0/5, is the fact that it is so extremely awful, it gets entertaining at times. But holy crap, what a pice of garbage move this is. From the costumes, to the effects to the acting, just everything is bad bad bad. Watch this drunk with some friends and that's all.
½ January 29, 2016
The script appears to have been written by somebody who thinks Jar Jar Binks was "a fan-tastic idea!" Nobody over the age of 9 should bother watching this.
½ December 30, 2015
before the Time that we had Movies with boring Exposition and Talking like Jupiter Ascending and Last Airbender... we had movies like this... This movie is so Hilariously bad that is Completely Entertaining
December 15, 2015
It's terrible, but a good kind of terrible. One of those "So bad it's hilarious" cases. You'll probably enjoy it in that perspective.
December 12, 2015
I loved it. No, it's not a good movie, but it's entertaining, light, and child-appropriate.
½ September 11, 2015
Terrible acting, especially Marlon Wayans. Jeremy Irons should be ashamed.
Tom Baker is the one highlight in the movie.