Dungeons & Dragons - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dungeons & Dragons Reviews

½ September 17, 2014
One of the worst movies ever. Terrible on all levels, and even worse it rips off so many classics in the absolute worst possible way.
September 5, 2014
25%
An insult to fans of the series, Dungeons & Dragons is a laughably bad fantasy knock off.
July 13, 2014
It's well worth to watch. Also it came out the year I was born, Yes I admit that it was stupid and the worst of all the movies I've watched but I actually loved it. Also can you even understand what Jeremy Irons is even saying?
June 5, 2014
Oh, it's so bad. So so sooo bad. Definitely worth seeing to laugh at though.
May 31, 2014
I'm not a fan of the Dungeons & Dragons franchise, but it doesn't matter, because I know a bad movie when I see one, and this has got to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The plot is composed principally of old D&D clichés, and the story structure is sub-par. The characters are incredibly flat, and Marlon Wayans' character seems to be blatantly racist, though mainly because he acts just like any other character played by Marlon Wayans, which by itself is out of place in something like Dungeons & Dungeons. For something that cost $45 million to make, the special effects, costumes, and props all look really cheap and unappealing, which is extremely problematic in a film where the premise revolves around magic. The action scenes are choreographed in such a way that they just feel tacked on, especially when they try to use the film's bad special effects to spice things up. I wouldn't recommend this film even for the most hardened D&D fan. Stay away from this movie at all times.
May 19, 2014
I am not sure what hellish dervish rode me to watch this film. Maybe it was because I was ill and longing for some childish fantasy romp in the vain of The Neverending Story or The Princess Bride. Yet, what I got was a big mess with awful actors, some of which almost made me throw up and not because I had a stomach bug, but because they were just so bloody awful, first and foremost Marlon Wayans who plays his "role" as a mixture of Axel Foley and Jack Sparrow, taking the worst of each character and bringing the reverse pinnalce of the art of acting to new lows. The story is not all that bad ... it opts to make some lowlife thieves the unlikely heroes of the story and Jeremy Irons even makes for a funny villain, even though I felt like he is not taking his role serious at all, yet, who could he ? The CGI is below-par and so are the sets and costumes. Also, considering this is set in the D&D roleplaying setting, there are next to none similarities and direct palpable influences on the film taken from the source material (with one or two nice exceptions). All in all, a terrible fantasy film and that is coming from someone who adores fantasy films.
½ April 28, 2014
You know a film isn't going to be very good when you see Marlon Wayans is in it. He's just silly. I enjoyed this to some extent but it did look very dated. Was it based on the cartoon? I'm not sure.
April 26, 2014
1933's King Kong Is My Ninth Favorite Film Of All Time.
April 23, 2014
That was a fun movie. Not like the animated series I grew up with, but it was still entertaining. I'm not into role-playing games, though.
April 23, 2014
½ April 19, 2014
Do not waste your time on this trash.
½ April 17, 2014
Full revised review coming soon
February 14, 2014
Terribly writen, acted, and directed, Dungeons and Dragons is so bad you can't help but laugh at it.
December 28, 2013
really cool movie .you wont like it very much unless you like the genre.
½ December 9, 2013
I loved watching this film as a child and I hope to watch it again some day soon!
November 24, 2013
Hmmmm what to think of this little gem, I saw this at the cinema on release (yes) and at the time I kinda liked it for some reason, now upon a rewatch I can't see why I thought that.

I guess at the time the effects were a little more impressive than today's standards of course plus there wasn't the huge amount of fantasy films that there are these days so this was quite a special little event. Looking back now it really is a terrible film, the acting from everyone is just abysmal and full O' cheese. Irons goes beyond taking the piss really with his rather queer hissing, cackling and facial expressions whilst his second in command played by Bruce Payne is just the campiest guy I've seen for ages...oh and he has blue lipstick on too.

The film revolves around the cliched to max partnership of Wayans (doing his best Eddie Murphy impression) and Whalin trying to be heroic and cool. The pair are just awful together and completely lacking any sense of comedic timing, there is of course a lot of attempted humour throughout but it all falls flat on its face hard.

There really is nothing to recommend here other than to laugh at, the effects are the worse CGI you will have seen for a major release (even though its an old film yes I know), tonnes of obvious bluescreen and even the costumes, makeup jobs and props all look cheap and tacky.

I still can't understand why Irons would agree to this, ditto Richard O' Brien ('The Rocky Horror Picture Show' and quite the cult name here in the UK). I suppose its because his scenes were a homage to the classic 'Crystal Maze' he once hosted, almost a homage to him really, the guy is legend but this brings him down.

The film was indeed mauled upon release but at the time (twas much younger back then) I gave it some leeway, it kinda reminded me of the 'Mortal Kombat' film and how, even though it was weak, it still had a glimmer of quality. But now I simply cannot allow that leeway anymore, the film may be enjoyed by younger kids but basically its crap.
½ November 19, 2013
As a massive fan of the role-playing game, I understood a few more in-references in the film than most...and it's unbelievably entertaining as a bad movie, akin to such as The Room and many Schwarzenegger "classics". Dungeons & Dragons the movie is one of those times when nothing is ever done right, and it's all in the name of a glorious hilarity.
November 14, 2013
This movie is one of the worst things I've ever seen. But, I gave it one star because it is endlessly entertaining in how dumb and schlocky it is. Also, this is Jeremy Irons greatest role ever. It destroyed so many careers.
½ October 29, 2013
Dungeons & Dragons might have been good had it not been for the poor special effects, cruddy cinematography and unrealistic set and costume designs. The actors involved all went way over-the-top with their performances which doesn't help D&D's cause.