Duplex - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Duplex Reviews

½ October 25, 2014
Buena dosis de humor directo pero no demasiado tonto.
October 12, 2014
Imagine you and your loved one finally find your new lovely dream-liked nest. But it's a duplex with the cranky old lady still live upstair and insist not to move. The film is FUN, LAUGHABLE, FRANK and, sometimes, STUPID. But I love it. Especially the scene when the Mrs. Connelly plays the clapping hands competition with the couple. Love it. Recommended.
½ August 1, 2014
You know, I could deal with the mean-spiritedness of this "comedy" if the two main characters weren't so goddamn fucking stupid. Like, insanely dumb. Unbelievably moronic. There's no way in any reality that anyone could be so imbecilic, and it kills any humor to be found in Duplex.
July 28, 2014
It is Eileen Essell who makes it a real pleasure to watch this mildly entertaining comedy that, despite its share of funny moments here and there and a good twist in the end, has not much else to offer in terms of narrative and gets less and less funny after halfway through.
July 24, 2014
"Duplex" is an hour and a half tour I wish I never took. Awful
½ June 20, 2014
Extremely entertaining and very funny
½ May 29, 2014
I really thought this movie was underrated... this was really, really funny in my estimation.
May 20, 2014
I love Devito and I love his movies, but this is by far his worst in the directors chair. Long, cruel and for the most part, boring.
May 10, 2014
all jokes are delivered flat as If the doctor declared a loved one had died
May 1, 2014
Directed by Danny DeVito, who is a master of directing black comedies like Throw Momma from the Train (1987), The War of the Roses (1989) and Death to Smoochy (2002). This one was written by Simpson's writer Larry Doyle (Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003)). It's a very unlikeable comedy, but that's the point of the film, but it's mean-spirited nature unfortunately does work against it. Young married couple Alex Rose (Ben Stiller) and Nancy Kendricks (Drew Barrymore) are looking for a perfect place to live, and they find an apartment in Brooklyn, however they find they'll be sharing the property with Mrs. Connelly (Mrs. Connelly), an elderly Irish lady who lives in a flat upstairs. Alex and Nancy don't think this'll be a problem, but once they move in, they find that she watches her TV at full volume at night and she has brass band recitals too, plus she puts on Alex to do little jobs, when Alex is trying to write a novel. Alex and Nancy eventually decide to try and kill Mrs. Connelly, but that proves to be near-impossible. If this had been made by Ealing in the 1950's, you would have had a masterpiece on your hands, but something is lost in this film, whether something got lost in translation between script and screen, something is off kilter. The tone of this one is all over the place, and DeVito can't get it right despite good intentions.
April 22, 2014
Hilarious. Drew Barrymore and Ben Stiller are great together. Dealing with an annoying old tenant that begins to make there life a living hell. Great flick.
½ April 11, 2014
Surprising DeVito project that ultimately falls flat. Has some amusing moments so the journey's okay.
April 6, 2014
Oh how I'd love to strangle that old bitch.
½ March 27, 2014
Why won't the old lady just die already!?! It's interesting but at the same time is predictable.
½ March 15, 2014
Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore move into a duplex and have an upstairs neighbor from hell. She is old and ends up leaving the tv on blaring late at night as well as other things. They try and install the clapper for her so they can control it from theiir apartment, but she learns how to use it and then it becomes useless. So then they try to set her up to be killed, but that fails too. This should have been good, but instead, it just never worked. Not really that funny and doesn't do anything memorable for the genre. Doesn't help the two main characters aren't very interesting.
½ March 7, 2014
Duplex is a dark comedy that keeps the audience to the edge of the seat while laughing out loud. It is that good. Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore make an odd couple, but they play their roles well. Plus, the ending has a twist too.
½ February 24, 2014
A highly annoying "black comedy" that's not black enough (there's no edge to its nastiness) or funny enough (it's virtually laugh free).
blkbomb
½ February 20, 2014
"Alex and Nancy finally found their dream home... And then they moved in."

Duplex is a film that baffles me, much like another Danny Devito dark comedy, Death to Smoochy. He has a way with dark humor and I loved it in War of the Roses. In Duplex, it doesn't quite work all that well though. I love the premise, but it was just missing something. The old lady is a really good character, but I don't think she's used as well as she could have been. This could have been amazing.

Alex and Nancy are a happily married couple. Alex is a writer, who is currently working on his second novel. Nancy is a journalist. They find their dream home, which happens to be a Duplex. One problem though, there's an old woman living on the second floor. Alex and Nancy think she's going to die soon, so they grab the place, believing she is a sweet old woman. A lot of back and forth goes on and it turns into just another escalating bullshit driven comedy, which is sad, because I enjoyed a lot of the details put into the story, just not the character interactions.

All in all, Duplex is nothing more than an average comedy. Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore play pretty much their same film personas. I happen to like them both, but for people who aren't fans of theirs, this is definitely not one to watch. It wasn't a complete waste of time for me. It had spells that were really entertaining and hilarious, but they were too few and far between.
½ February 16, 2014
The worst movie starred by Stiller, in my opinion. I'm surprised it was directed by Danny DeVito. A waste of time.