Dust - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dust Reviews

April 20, 2016
Dust is dreck. One of the worst written westerns of all time. Every character in the film is portrayed unrealistically. I hated the character of Edge. Every other line that came out of his mouth was a curse word. I mean, I have no bias against cursing, but cursing has to be merited in order for it to work as a line in a script. The script has Edge constantly saying "fuck", over and over again. Also, the violence is way over the top, and happens way too often in the film. It made no sense. Violence in films also needs to merited too, whether it is to shock or advance the story. This film is nothing but a long montage of characters getting hurt and cursing. It didn't take long for me to realize that I had enough.
March 5, 2016
Pay no attention to the negative reviews.
This is not a a paint by numbers Hollywood action movie where every little detail is spelled out for the audience. This is an expertly shot, smartly edited eastern western, with great action set pieces, bloody violence and a story that spans a century.
A movie that Quentin Tarantino can only dream of making!
February 3, 2016
Another one bites the dust.
November 17, 2015
Wonderful acting by Joseph Fiennes.
December 28, 2012
GREAT FILM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ November 7, 2012
A painful story about a painful history. Interesting movie all a round.
April 19, 2012
I dont care to watch.
½ November 14, 2010
An interesting twist on the turn-of-the-century-gunslinger genrĂ (C), unfortunately made somewhat confusing by a hospital bedside storytelling technique.
June 28, 2010
This movie was funded by British lottery money, backing a film with Macedonian origins. The end result is a highly original production, that reminded me at times of Jodorowsky's 'El Toppo', apart from that 'Dust' is quite incomparable. The narration jumps backwards and forwards, through generations and is narrated by a mature lady, who is also the central character. One of the most thought provoking pictures in recent times.
April 8, 2010
A bizarre piece of poetry where the reality ascended to myth and metaphor, and realism to surrealism. Like all other Manchevski films, 'Dust to Dust, Ash to Ash' is not a film made for the mass audience. Highly recommended, though I personally like his 'before the rain' more.
April 4, 2010
OUR Milcho Manchevski!!!:)
June 28, 2009
Fantastic movie! Music is great, the plot is fabulous!
½ March 29, 2009
How disappointing. A good premise for a western is completely ruined by making it a mess of a story within a story, both of which are not very good. The framing story is boring and cliched with terrible acting. The story within the story had potential but was ruined by terrible pacing, unclear plot points, and some very strange/stupid choices (read: a victorious band of Turkish soldiers celebrating with "Straight Outta Compton" playing). I like Joseph Fiennes (who is barely in this at all) and David "Faramir" Wenham, but both of them really struggle with their American accents here and neither one are really very good, although I think that can be chalked up to the writing more than their talents.

For a MUCH better movie in the same vein as this, go see "The Fall".
½ February 11, 2009
This is a very misunderstood movie and quite wonderful. It is not as good as Manchevski's brilliant "Before the Rain" but is an intelligent movie, made for intelligent viewers. Manchevski does not adhere to the laws of physics and his movies use time brilliantly. The result is quite lyrical.
December 5, 2008
never seen it but i bet its good
½ December 5, 2008
Rather strange, and altogether too violent. I enjoyed it, though, overall. There were some really hilarious moments in there, too.
December 5, 2008
Essentially, the story is of a burglar (Lester) who breaks into a house of an old woman (Murphy) in New York and she tells him the story of American cowboys (Fiennes and Wenham) in the Ottoman Empire in Macedonia and their tangled fraternal love/hatred when confronted with a beautiful woman. It's a story that dips in and out of narrative timelines. David Wenham and Joseph Fiennes play two cowboy brothers that wind up in Macedonia, fighting on different sides in a bloody conflict between the Macedonian natives and the oppressive Ottomans. Luke fights on the Ottoman side because they pay in gold, Elijah on the Macedonian because they are the right side. There are many bloody scenes here and it is one thing that I don't like with this film. The overall carnage gets too exhausting, simply put. And there is no real thrill in it either, except for the villains getting killed. The parallel stories intertwining aren't nearly as effective here as in "Before the rain". The plot with the black burglar and the old woman is weak and ineffective. Only the dramatic relationship between Luke (Wenham)and Elijah (Fiennes) and their rivalry over the beautiful and headstrong Lilith (unknown but solid actress) is what makes this film interesting and worthwhile. Wenham gives a really powerful performance here and even overshadows both Fiennes and the rest of the cast. Well worth watching.
November 28, 2008
Storytelling at it's worst.
September 23, 2008
one of those rare pearls of filmmaking, if there wasn't so much mindless bloodshed and slaughter brought on screen to make it more exciting. a real man's film!