Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood Reviews

December 17, 2012
Not my cup of tea! Mutta kyllä Burtonille aina vähintään yksi tähti pitää antaa.
August 3, 2011
Simply a stunning adaptation that faithfully complements Thomas' play for many voices. It has a strong framework for his images & sounds to unfold as Sinclair takes all his cues from the play. It's a feast for both eyes and ears and never fails to entertain any audience I screen it for.
April 17, 2011
A brilliant visual adaptation, Thomas's characters come alive in this poetic film. Sinclair's take on the radio play, in probably the best film he's ever made, is effective and memorable, the use of two narrators a brilliant idea. Burton is brilliant as the narrator, his vocal cords very much like a storyteller and Peter O'Toole, in a role very much like the elephant man, portrays the tragedy of Captain Cat effectively. But the best aspect of the film is the use of welsh talent; unknown welsh actors given the chance to show their dramatic ability e.g. Dafydd Havard as Lord Cut Glass. These actors, many never to be seen again in the spotlight, display the range of their capabilities for the world to see. Having acted in a stage version of Under Milk Wood I can testify that Sinclair has made a faithful adaptation, which remains a testimony to the Welsh Poet's work!
RCCLBC
April 11, 2011
It is an ensemble piece for the most part, so don't expect an abundance of screen time from the three leads.
As much as I hate to say it (with a cast like this) this one's not really about the acting...It's more about the writing of Dylan Thomas and the quirky beauty of the Welsh seaside, brought to life here with his words and some wonderful imagery.
Not suitable for everyone's tastes I'll admit, but if you enjoy clever writing (and can understand sometimes thick Welsh accents) you are in for a treat.
jjnxn
½ March 19, 2010
Beautiful settings and a game cast are about the only things this has going for it. The kind of film that killed Liz and Dick's careers in the late 60's-early 70's.
½ December 6, 2009
not a film for everyone but the more you think on it, the more it's clear there's something brilliant going on here and that dylan's radio play CAN be adapted to film with success.
October 8, 2009
Dylan Thomas' words are evocative and clever, but Andrew Sinclair's images are frequently garish and silly, making "Under Milk Wood" a mostly unsuccessful experiment.
August 25, 2008
A fantastic cast in a poorly realised arty' movie. Pretentious, muddled, badly shot - avoid and read the play instead. Fishguard looks great though!
August 10, 2008
This movie is a fine example of when movies are considered to be art rather than entertainment. It is nicely shot but was still a disappointment to watch for me. I wanted to see Taylor and Burton and while Burton is in it quite frequently as the narrator Taylor only have about five minutes screen time and her only plot function is to fulfill a "to be looked at ness". :(
The movie lacks a clear narrative focus and is kind of a mess. It's too many characters in it to make sense and it's main focus is on everyday life in a Welsh village. There is no character depth and a lot of sequences doesn't make sense. I found it too ordinary and even boring to watch! :(
April 14, 2008
A beautiful cinematic translation of Dylan's famous play, with all the words intact and nothing done, as you might expect, to spoil it. Makes me want to move to Fishguard, where it was shot, and stay there forever.
My version comes with a 60-minute documentary about Dylan that would have been worth the cost of the dvd even without the movie.
½ February 23, 2008
Massively influential on my life when I saw it as a child, I still love everyday lives and eccentricity. Not a fantasticly shot film but great casting and it can't fail with such fascinating material. Bizarre, voluptuous and affectionate.
October 23, 2007
If ever there was a film that demonstrated how not to adapt a book to the screen, this is it. There's a lot to be said in general for remaining faithful to the source material, but if this film is anything to go by, "Under Milk Wood" is simply not meant for the big screen. The dreamlike imagery of the text becomes a slavish literal interpretation on screen. Most of the cast ham it up to excess, with only Peter O'Toole possibly emerging unscathed (even if the younger Captain Cat looks like he stepped out of the Village People). How such a renowned cast can go so far wrong is baffling. Richard Burton's narration is of course legendary, but his appearance on the screen often jars with the spoken word. The choice to make the First and Second Voices strangers wandering through the Llareggub is not altogether convincing.

The only positive aspects of this film that I can see are the location work, which when shot in a Welsh fishing village can hardly fail to impress, Burton's narration and the original text itself. Almost everything else is either superfluous, too literal or downright wrong. This adaptation adds nothing to Thomas' work, and only serves to show how great the original recording was.
½ September 19, 2007
Read this play do not see this movie unless you've read it first, then once you've read it you can laugh at how bad this move is. They should be ashamed of them selves, all the stars I have given this film are for writing if it wasn't for that it would get a half star.
August 9, 2007
Great when Richard Burton speaks but otherwise doesn't work as a film. Slightly pretentious 1970s mannered over acting. Basically boring.
June 17, 2007
Sorry, but the radio play is considerably better than this.
June 8, 2007
Read it, or listen to it. But if you prefer to have your 'Under Milk Wood' experience via the cinema, then by all means watch this. You may then go out and buy the book!!!
½ March 24, 2007
Its a poem made into a film, and its superb. Richard Burton was amazing.
February 26, 2007
I love the audio version with Richard Burton. I'm sure I'd love this.
February 15, 2007
Positive proof that culture is not dead. Poetic drama can be set to film and it can be done well! Not a movie for the sleepy philistine.
½ December 18, 2006
to begin at the begining