Each Dawn I Die - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Each Dawn I Die Reviews

May 22, 2015
hasn't aged perfectly but still enjoyable and with an underlying point
½ November 1, 2014
A great filibuster with James Cagney and George Raft--they play pretty well off of each other. One of the better of the gangster films nearing the end of Warner Brothers' 1930's cycle.
July 19, 2014
Each Dawn I Die is an excellent film. It is about reporter Frank Ross is found guilty of murder and is sent to jail. James Cagney and George Raft give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. William Keighley did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and mystery. Each Dawn I Die is a must see.
February 1, 2014
My favorite Cagney movie because George Raft is in it.
½ January 30, 2014
Good tough guy prison film-cum-investigative drama, but the two things don't sit that comfortably together. First half great, then gets very silly towards the end - but Cagney is as electric as ever.
½ January 14, 2013
Understated.

The teaming of James Cagney and George Raft proved to be an added attraction. James Cagney, who had been seen as a bad guy in most of his gangster oriented movies, plays a good guy here who ends up in jail for a crime he didn't commit.
Similar to "Fugitive from a Chain Gang", this is a 1930's Warner Brothers film with a conscience, taking aim at corrupt politicians and brutal prisons. The flaws in the film are not due to lack of effort or creativity, but simply because this is the way they used to make those types of films. James Cagney and George Raft use their talent and star appeal to draw you in and keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire movie. It isn't necessarily a film you'd go out of your way to see, but it's definitely worth watching if you get the opportunity.
January 7, 2013
This is really an unsung masterpiece of the 1930s gangster genre. Jimmy Cagney plays a reporter framed for murder after exposing corruption in local politics. He's sent to one of the nastiest prisons around. He meets and befriends career criminal George Raft and helps him escape, taking the brunt of the punishment for the escape on himself. This is a mean little genre flick which flies along with almost no filler. Cagney is on the top of his game here, snapping and snarling his way through several superb monologues ... one that even ends with him bursting into tears. The prison riot/jail break finale is one of the most violent sequences of the 1930s.
½ November 23, 2012
This movie is fantastic. George Raft and James Cagney both were amazingly marvelous.
August 18, 2012
Reportedly this was Joseph Stalin's favorite American movie. It's a fine gangster film with Cagney as a mam framed and sen to prison where he befriends real criminal George Raft. Raft and Cagney form an alliance to bust Raft out of jail so he can clear Cagney's name. The film starts out very strong, but is marred by a number of improbabilities leading up to the third act. It could have been the "Brute Force" if the 1930s, but somewhat devolves into a silly crime melodrama. Still, Cagney are great in their only pairing as leads and it the film is highly entertaining throughout. A must see for classic gangster film fans.
February 13, 2012
Cagney and Raft are great in this movie. Two men struggling with how enviroment and outside influnces can make you understand how everything is not totally black and white. Both men work as each others teachers showing that both nature and nurture have a way of effecting personality.
February 13, 2012
Another great Cagney role in a "good", not "great" movie. His character development is the best thing about this movie. This a pretty standard "I got framed. Went bad. Got redemption" movie. But I still enjoy watching it, mostly because I like a lot of movies from this era. If you're in the mood for this type of movie grab some popcorn, sit back, and enjoy. You may have trouble finding this movie. Once in a blue moon it's on TCM.
February 8, 2012
None of the plot points for this prison flick make a solitary lick of sense, but James Cagney is arresting as a crusading journalist who is framed and jailed by the very same corrupt district attorney he was about to expose. While incarcerated, Cagney predictably embroils the affairs of the guards and inmates. This old movie isn't a classic, but devotees of 1930's crime films will probably find something to like about it.
January 27, 2012
another WB prison pic
Critique Threatt
November 19, 2011
James Cagney is great and so is George Raft. It's a standard prison picture with Cagney trying to reclaim his innocence. The last act of the picture is basically a prison riot cop out followed by a happy ending.
June 29, 2011
Frank Ross: "I don't love life much, but I don't hate it enough to stick my head in front of a screw's bullet."
June 17, 2011
And the table was set...

This film marked the first for George Raft under the Warners' regime. Famous as a young song and dance man, Raft later became Paramount's answer to Cagney in their mobster film genre, but in the end, no one could compete with the Warner Bros. in that category. The film paired Cagney with his semi-rival and the two did well together on screen. Two song and dance actors in gritty gangster stereotype action makes for a great film. The story is well paced and keeps in stride, a well versed supporting ensemble to help.

Ironically, it was Raft who would later turn down 'High Sierra' and 'The Maltese Falcon', making way for another Cagney gangster co-star, Humphrey Bogart.
May 12, 2011
Cagney in a change plays a good guy. A newspaperman jailed wrongfully after being framed. Raft is the big boss in prison, and the two make an unlikely alliance that twists and turns trust everywhere, inside and outside the prison walls. 1939 was 'the greatest year in film' and this one is one of the more underrated Warner Gangster movies. Loved it.
jjnxn
July 9, 2010
If your a Cagney fan this is a must see, he's dynamic as ever. The script is just the standard Warners 30's prison pic but it's professionally done. Raft is stiff as ever and Jane Bryan overacts terribly but if you're a fan of the genre this is as good as any of them.
April 21, 2010
After watching Each Dawn I Die you're not really going to wonder why its not one of James Cagney's more well known movies but its well worth the watch. This time out Cagney plays a tough guy reporter who gets framed for murder while trying to expose a corrupt would be politician. Inside he meets a career criminal who helps him clear his name. The first two acts are pretty solid but somewhere in the last act it kind of craps out. Its not exactly The Shawshank Redemption and its not quite Brute Force but for fans of Cagney and George Raft watching won't be wasted time.
½ January 22, 2010
A fantastic "wrong man" story that kept me on the edge of my seat. Cagney and Raft were both top notch.