The Eagle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eagle Reviews

June 8, 2015
Such a good silent movie! Rudolph Valentino is really good in this!
July 14, 2014
OK movie, the guy really did jump on to some moving horses, because actors weren't all poofs back then. Or something. I'm not sure.
February 3, 2013
Russian cossack officer Dubrovsky is promptly branded a deserter after he refuses the attentions of the czarina. On the eve of his dismissal, he receives a letter from his father telling him to plead the same czarina for help after a neightbour stole his estate. After his father dies on the day of his return, he swears revenge on the man who stole his fortune - unfortunately he also falls for his enemy's daughter. A great period drama which is now renowned for being one of the best vehicles for arguably Hollywood's first true cinematic male sex symbol. In this film, in fact, Valentino oozes charisma, portraying what seems to be an alternative Robin Hood period drama adventures that also seems to be, in structure, the perfect example of the type of Valentino adventurous melodrama of the time. Romantic, exciting and quirky, this is very entertaining silent cinema with some nice charming visual touches by director Clarence Brown.
April 18, 2012
An average romantic adventure movie, but if you're a fan of Valentino, check it out.
November 20, 2011
Looks decent, but not great. Still, I'll check it out.
September 20, 2011
It's . . .okay. It's hard not to compare it with all the other Robin Hood-esque films, and I think it comes up wanting in that instance.
June 19, 2011
never really watch silent films but this one looked quite nice
½ September 14, 2009
Another Rudolph Valentino classic..<3
½ October 30, 2008
It was ok in some parts, it had some funny moments, overall boring.
August 28, 2008
Valentino is captivating in this! Natural, stylish and sexy, all at the same time. THIS is the film he should be remembered by.
August 28, 2008
Clarence Brown manages to get an amazingly 'modern' performance from Valentino. He's so laid back, funny and god-damned SEXY! There are other Valentino movies worth watching but this one you simply HAVE to see!
August 28, 2008
rudolph valentino is sex incarnate.
½ August 28, 2008
I was fortunate enough to see the new restored print of this film tonight, accompanied by a live performance of the Alloy Orchestra's score. "The Eagle" is my introduction to the great Rudolph Valentino, and, I must say, he lives up to his legend as the romantic god of the silent era. The film is pretty standard romantic drama silent fare: a Russian soldier (Valentino) defects to avenge the death of his father, gains a heroic reputation and a nickname to go with it, ends up falling for the villain's daughter. It's worth seeing for Valentino, of course, but also for several interesting photographic choices, a marvelous supporting cast and the Alloy Orchestra's new score (hoping that an updated DVD release will make that score available).
August 28, 2008
i would like to see this
March 6, 2008
The first Valentino film I have seen in full and very enjoyable it was too. Its easy to see why Valentino's popularity continues to this day; he's sort of a metrosexual before his time.
November 16, 2007
Superb classic silent film, what a great cast. Rudolph Valentino is at his best. Good story with a great pace. The sets are excellent and the cinematography is good.
½ June 12, 2007
A wonderful picture in which Valentino gets to play a really decent fellow and has improved from the eye-bulging days. You never had it so good.
September 29, 2006
One of my favorite Valentino flicks.