Early Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Early Summer Reviews

½ May 29, 2011
Who could handle themes like the generation gap and shifts in values without a hint of cliche or insipid melodrama but Ozu?
May 22, 2011
Revisiting Ozu, as I do fairly frequently, is of course always a relief from current frenetic visual styles, as well as a bittersweet glimpse into a world quite gone - that of the traditional Japanese family. And this director's "less is more" approach to every facet of the business is always a vivid reminder of how vapid and self-congratulatory are the excessive gestures of, say, a Quentin Tarentino - whose work I will NOT be revisiting with any frequency at all.
April 27, 2011
It seems bland on the surface, but this is an engrossing movie about a family and their daughter's marriage.
April 3, 2011
Ozu looks (again) at family and marriage in postwar Japan, and the changing attitudes towards marriage, reflected in the changes that happen in the family in the film. Almost a tearjerker!
November 26, 2010
Ugh! Can we say tragic?! Can we say sad?! Can we say wonderful?! I loved this and I can't even put it into words how great it is! Just look at the family portrait- that's how perfect it is! I feel sad talking about it!

I LOVE Setsuko Hara!
July 23, 2010
June 2010 - I find it hard to imagine any better family drama, any movie that can show the clash of different generations in a family and in the context of modernization so honestly and effectively. The character of Noriko is so fantastically played by Setsuko Hara (as in all the Ozu movies of this period) and describes the mentality of women of her generation. Her older brother and his wife on the other hand show a different mind set of the same generation. Then we have the grand parents who are also in their silences and unique way of mourning for their killed son exemplary for people of their own generation. Finally we have the naughty and rebellious kids who are phenomenal and bring so much to the movie by adding humor and showing what the society should expect in the next generation.
June 1, 2010
Another classic Ozu dealing with family situations - this time it's the daughter who decides to marry a man who already has a kid. Social issues + family conflict = Japanese win!
March 17, 2010
another classic ozu film examining his usual set of themes: family, marriage, japanese tradition, etc. this one is set apart by setsuko haras performance as noriko. her smile makes the screen that much brighter with her playful nature and heartfelt allegiance to those she cares about. this one is a bit more upbeat than, say autumn afternoon, but it still has its bittersweet moments.
January 14, 2010
lots of pretty ladies.
November 18, 2009
If any one director is the master of simple plots, it would probably have to be Yasujiro Ozu. Though this is my least favorite film in the "Noriko trilogy" it still has a steady weight to it which makes it another worthy addition to the canon of one of cinema's most acclaimed masters.
½ November 7, 2009
Outstanding and dissecting look at a three-generation family and all that it entails. Ozu shows once again that he is the master of presenting the passage of time - how one's life is determined in major cyclical periods. The film is profoundly sad in tone, yet has a substantial playful and comical aspect, as well. A true masterpiece from one of the greatest directors.
½ August 12, 2009
Yasujiro Ozu is my favorite Japanese director, and this film is as representative of his work as any. Ozu's films are aesthetically simple, but deal with the complex and universal relationships of family. Early Summer is a great entry in his catalog.
June 7, 2009
Painfully beautiful, but somewhat dull-plotted Japanese 50's family drama from director Yasujiro Ozu, following a 28-year-old woman whose tight family is sent into worry as she starts looking to marry at such a late stage. Obviously not a story-line that can really hold two hours of film, but the cinematography is gorgeous and scarily meticulous, the characters are kind of charming, and it's overall worth seeing once if never again...
May 17, 2009
A seemingly simple but incredibly deep look at family and generations, from one of the masters of cinema.
½ May 13, 2009
Slow as I expected. Watched for film class.
½ March 20, 2009
Ozu's simplistic style kills me every time. Early summer was specially fantastic though, although devoid of pans and tilts, Ozu's serene tracking segments are always astounding. Also, the crane shot which reveals the beautiful Japanese ocean shoreline - the only crane sequence featured in Ozu's surviving films - triggers the desire to see more Ozu crane sequences, of course a grand majority of his films will never be recuperated.
The opening of Early Summer, featuring Setsuko Hara's slightly irritating smile and such merrymaking musical score, made me feel as if I was embarking on a two-hour voyage where I would witness the mundane tales of a perfect family - Usual for an Ozu film. I was wrong, in fact, I was diving into an abyss of reality, the reality that Ozu loved to color in his post-war work...The war's effect on the Japanese people (women who object the male prospects chosen by their families); The assimilation of western culture (drinking coca-cola; how about some tea or sake instead?); The arrogance of younger generations towards the elder (at every and any age level), which is also the leading motif of what is acclaimed to be his chef d'oeuvre: Tokyo Story. Its also important to know where Ozu stood in order to understand what message he attempted to convey (that is if you are not able to discern it from watching a couple of his films). He supported traditional standards and felt that society, as he and the Japanese knew it, began to collapse as the westerns stormed their nation with their liberal views. Hence the recurring theme of the widowed wife, or the mother losing a child, to make it short, the irremediable sundering of families.
I previously mentioned Setsuko Hara's irritating smile. It is not my intention to suggest that she has no talent, or that I find her performances to be irritating. However, after going through six hours of her just smiling I have realized two things: one, the constant smiling can really become annoying after the first hour, and two, people are not wrong when they refer to her as one of the world's all-time greatest performers. There is a reason why she was Ozu's biggest star. Her smile tells a different story every time: in late spring we see a naive girl too optimistic for the world, thus arriving at a rather unfortunate and traditional denouement; in Tokyo Story, a widow whose altruistic demeanor disabled her from sincerely expressing her sadness to her in-laws who adopted her as a member of their family although she did not rear any children; and ultimately in early summer, a woman with concerning behavior towards marriage, who suddenly must face the decision of her family concerning her marriage to a man she has not even met. Not only do we see her smile for two hours in this one, there are a lot more realistic sequences involving sad conversations and hardcore weeping, present from the second fourth of the film, unlike other Ozu films where such sequences about the sorrow of her character are non-existent until a few minutes before the credits roll.
Ozu's specially large cast in this film makes it the more intriguing. I have been used to the multitude of characters he likes to feature but this time the distribution was much more balanced across a much larger cast. We learn more about the overall background of all of the families and have a better chance of analyzing all the themes he wants to expose. Also, when a grand part of the ensemble cast is conformed by some of the greatest performers from Japanese, and world cinema, from every age level, what erupts is an incredible plot which only a talented and celebrated Auteur such as Yasujiru Ozu is able to compose so equivalently - in terms of screen time, and character significance.
I love Ozu's simplicity, and his very low 3-feet-above-ground shots. His interior sequences are just overwhelming. also the scenes with the oldest family members alone, so harmonious. The children walking along the coast, and the flagpole challenged by the strong wind...ultimately, the ending, probably my favorite Ozu ending, although they all have been extremely amazing, and to some extent sad.
½ March 14, 2009
Ozu was perfecting his unique style by the time he made this one. Like 'Late Spring' two years before this is a story with very similar characters, the sam actors, about the same subjects and with the same portrayal of events.
Yet this exaggeration of similarity is one of Ozu's main points: there are a dozen Norikos in every city, town and village all over Japan, all in similar, awkward situations. As a result we see 'Late Spring's family structure shift sideways so now Noriko is surrounded by members pressuring her into marrying, as opposed to the inevitable rejection from her father in the last film.
In 1951 the American occupation of Japan ended and an economic depression resulted, making life rugged again for its inhabitants. But also from this time we now see the influence of equality and emancipation the Western powers had brought, and Noriko's story this time is one of independent choice and motive. Though her fmailay obsesses over her marrying before she gets 'too old', Noriko selects for herself her own husband, based on her own wants and desires. Though the sexual politics of 'Early Summer' had a very long way to go at the time this was seen as a huge step forward from a dictatorial past.
For Western audiences, they'll find that this, like 'Late Spring', has virtually no action at all and almost completely takes place in living rooms, offices and cafes, rarely moving outside the house and home. It's very talky, and the camerawork is intensely measured and intimately placed, capturing each and every vocal and physical nuance. These are stories about human emotions conjured from relationships, how people subtly change and alter, or how they don't, in the face of such permanent issues as marriage. Some may call it extremely boring, but it's not about thrills or even entertainment. Ozu's movies carry a refreshingly honest profundity about life without any histrionics. Like Satyajit Ray's later 'Apu' trilogy these films generate a colossal weight in terms of looking at the real meaning behind humanity and how we all interact with each other. It's this humble transition from the intimate to the universal that makes Ozu such a brilliant director and how his characters and situations are so versatile and mercurial, shifting between problems and contexts and yet retaining much of their intention and meaning.
With an attractive cast providing an impressive amount of class, none more so than the eternally beautiful Setsuko Hara, 'Early Summer' is as gentle, lyrical and expecting as its title. A movie to lay back and enjoy time with.
February 27, 2009
I can't get enough of Ozu's movies. They're all practically the same. Simple stories of family relations, filmed in an aesthetically pleasing way that is not flashy. This movie is no exception to his usual work. It is because his movies are so simplistic that I am able to connect with them and grasp who the characters are. They are not overdeveloped or dramatized like modern day dramas. Ozu realized that ordinary people with ordinary struggles as times change is enough. That said, I would only recommend Early Summer for die hard Ozu followers. It is essentially the same as Late Spring, which is a superior movie, though the approach is different and there are more outside characters involved. Tokyo Story will still remain his masterpiece in my mind, and A Story of Floating Weeds is another fantastic piece of cinema from this master. I would recommend seeing those before bothering with this one.
February 25, 2009
The loveliest movie that I can think of, I bow to the way Ozu can frame beauty and to the wonderful Ms. Hara's smile.
shesdownbytheriver
January 10, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested.