The Earthling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Earthling Reviews

March 31, 2016
Very much an Australian Film that just came and went in the cinemas which is shame since it was an exceptional film.

The story of a US man wanted to hike the Blue Mountains NSW for the last days of his life & stumbles across this young boy who tragically lost both his parents to accident hours before being found.

The beauty of the film is the relationship they develop the old man teaches all he can to the boy & the boy encourages him & gives him hope. It's a tender & touching film that boasts some stunning shots of NSW Bushland also.
November 13, 2012
I didn't like it as much as WALKABOUT, but worth a watch.
June 2, 2011
I can't believe anyone would give this movie a bad rating. Very poignant, breath taking scenery, and wonderful message! A must see!
September 26, 2010
This is one of those movies that flew under the radair but is more than worth the time to watch. A young boy is lost in the Asutraulain out back after his parents die in an accident. He is found by an old man that is trying to make it to his family homestead before he dies of cancer. The old man doen't want to be saddled with the boy but can't just leave the boy to die in the wilderness. The old man has to teach the boy to survive and live off the land before he dies. A very young Ricky Shroder does an outstanding performance along side William Holden, who always gives his best. The senery is outstanding, and the acting is great. This is the last film by William Holden who died not too long after making the movie.
June 6, 2010
A real tear jerker about a man coming to the end of his life and a boy just starting his. William Holden puts in a gritty performance while young Ricky Schroder tugs at the strings of even the hardest hearts.
December 21, 2009
Excellent film that embodied the stoic hardness of the WW2 generation hand-off to the boomers.
December 21, 2009
if you want a good cry, this depressing movie with a great ending is worth a watch. William Holden plays his role in such an amazing manner while a very young Rick Shroder pulls off the character in such a way that you have to ask why he didn't do more. Must see.
½ June 11, 2009
Unbelievably fraudulent and incompetent film-making.
A real stinker from beginning to end.
June 3, 2009
An interesting and offbeat wilderness odyssey.
½ April 15, 2009
The fragility of youth and age set amidst a glorious landscape. William Holden is at his very best. Rick Schroder adds a remarkable performance for one so young.
½ February 25, 2009
Thats one of my favourite movies of all time. I watched it as a kid in 1985 and the scene following what happens to Shawn after he losses his parents is still fresh in my mind! Awesome Awesome movie!
February 4, 2009
wow..what a movie..what a concept. love it still.
January 11, 2009
Good and unique story line. Fantastic scenery. Makes me want to visit Australia.
Classic William Holden.
December 2, 2008
William Holden's last movie before he dies. This is a great coming-of-age-in-the-wilderness story as he teaches a young orpahn how to survive before Holden's impending death. Touching.
½ October 24, 2008
Rick has always been a talented actor, one of my favorites. I'll watch anything he's in.
½ August 30, 2008
Por que no esta en Dvd?, recuerdo de infancia.
PD: Mejor conocida en los video clubs de barrio ochenteros como "Solo contra el mundo"... ni loco me subiria a una casa rodante, quede traumado.
July 11, 2008
Anybody Know if this is available on DVD? I only have an old VHS
January 27, 2008
The most underrated yet important movies of our time. Very worth watching.
½ December 16, 2007
Apart from the cliche, laughable, foriegn portrayl of the Australian bush - I promise you, you will never see THAT many Aussie critters all at once in the bush - the story is solid - fantasiful in places, but solid - and entertaining.

A very young - not to mention adorable Rick Schroder (NYPD) - as a child is worth a look.

William Holden as the grumpy saviour of the lost little boy works well.

There's a lot of fluff here, but still makes a good ol' Aussie outback yarn.
September 20, 2007
If I could give it more stars I would.