Easier with Practice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Easier with Practice Reviews

May 14, 2011
With no idea what to expect, or even what it was really about, I found this movie drawing me in. It's honest, poignant, and lovely.
May 2, 2011
too bad the main char is wasted
ending saves. cute indie music. cute brother.
the girls in the movie suck => autobiographical (no understanding)
½ April 23, 2011
This movie is based on a men's mag (2006 GQ) article. "It is a slow-burner: a study in loneliness and alienation, whose unexpected ending and ambiguous aftermath require us to reassess all that has gone before."- Guardian. sum it all.
March 11, 2011
A great companion piece to Catfish, a very naturally acted film. I should have guessed the ending, but it still surprised me! Riveting, very sad and it perfectly encapsulated how being isolated and disengaged feels, recommended watching, but I think it would work best (ironically) when watched and your own.
March 1, 2011
weird romantic drama excellent
½ February 26, 2011
Interesting counter point to 'Catfish', exploring similar territory about loneliness, identity and our need to connect. Builds in a similar way to the eventual meeting which wrongfooted me and then has the conviction to hold out for a truthful ending.
½ February 14, 2011
very strange, a little disturbing and shocking - but I kinda liked it a lot.
January 26, 2011
What could have been a film that exploits a potentially salacious premise for artificially comedic or edgy effect, feels instead like an honest and truthful dissection of the sometimes-strange way modern relationships can work.
½ January 23, 2011
Where Catfish fell into themes of giving up aspects of your life, Easier With Practice boasts a fine cast and an impelling story about sexual attraction and romantic isolation.
½ January 19, 2011
really good film, rough and tender at the same time. It's so insightful into our vulnerability even in this digital times ...
½ January 10, 2011
A little slow to get going but it gets better and better until a brilliant finale. A highly underrated film where the whole team have done a superb job!
January 7, 2011
The characters in this movie are never explained. The reasons for the way they are and how they behave are not given. Accordingly, one has little empathy for their troubles. This movie is full of concepts: alienation, virtual relationships, in-communication. The problem is that without real characters these ideas end up being a bit of an intelectual gimmick.
December 16, 2010
Very much a return to a pre-mumblecore idea of the American indie - a moment when a degree of polish in performance and presentation, some evidence of prior planning, could be worn as a badge of honour... It has its limitations: the more sedentary second half threatens to become clogged with (not always so titillating) talk, and the final-reel twist needed a little more finesse (or simply recasting) to work entirely satisfactorily; it remains a short story in itself, as keen on duping the audience as it does its lead, and you may emerge mildly grumpy for that. Still, long stretches of it sit very comfortably alongside "In Search of a Midnight Kiss" (and possibly even "The Social Network") in taking our collective romantic pulse, and wondering why it is we do the things we do with the technologies we've suddenly got at our disposal.
December 6, 2010
MK: Better than expected
½ November 29, 2010
Amazing indie film that'll most likely get over-looked this year. Dealt with the issues of extreme social awkwardness and loneliness very well whilst also being very well shot and acted. Soundtrack kicked ass too (Broken Social Scene *and* Grizzly Bear? Fuck yeah!).
October 20, 2010
I never thought that a film about phone sex could be so excellent, funny, sentimental, and unpredictable.
October 17, 2010
Nicely acted naturalistic indie film that ends with an unexpected twist.
October 14, 2010
A very drawn out, but well written, story, topped with an intense and emotional performance by Brian Geraghty, Easier with Practice will force you into awkward situations that will have you walking out of the room. Kyle Patrick Alvarez's script and directing style really brings Davy and his life to the screen quite well. A very good film indeed.
September 10, 2010
Author Davy is an awkward soul with little social capacities, yet what the viewer walks away with is his utter humanity and his ability to understand and cope with someone who has wronged him. The film is slowly paced but this allows the audience to fully grasp Davy's shyness and lack of social graces. After watching the film, I think we could all aspire to share Davy's compassionate inclinations.
½ July 27, 2010
As rich as a great short story and as sensitive, assured and revelatory as modern movies are allowed to be. The film hits not one false note, effectively balancing a simple premise that's anything but. Geraghty and Byrd are stellar. This is a great film.