East Side Sushi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

East Side Sushi Reviews

½ November 21, 2016
Had no idea what it was about and was plesently surprised.

Many reviews nailed it:

Great movie without violence or CGI or sex

Inspiring

Breaks though ethnic and gender barriers

As a Mexican - American, it was refreshing to see a success story that did not involve drugs or illegal activities. Just a good down to earth, inspiring believable story.
November 11, 2016
I'm sorry but this movie was terrible. A champions of sushi tournament and they make a california roll and win $20,000? A traditional japanese chef that disobeys his beliefs and owner and allows her to make sushi in the closet? Lol. She gets chosen for the tournament just by making 2 or 3 things? A very traditional japanese chef...after seeing her almost win a crappy tournament of 3 or 4 people....changes heart and hires get as a sushi chef? Come on! If this movie was made back in 1960's...then I'll be like...okay...I understand...people don't know much about this....but to put out a movie like this in 2016....I'm at disbelief.
October 20, 2016
Good movie! My only gripe is the stress of authenticity about sushi and then they make california rolls lol. Other than that, very cute movie
October 7, 2016
Great feel good movie. Has it all. Does a lot but doesn't overreach. Love characters because they're real people. Not over dramatic.
½ September 13, 2016
Set in East Oakland, a feel-good story of a young woman determined to make a better life for herself and her family, and unwilling to submit to gender/ethnic restrictions in the world of restaurants and foodies.
September 4, 2016
Excellent, uplifting movie. Very well acted, excellent cinematography.
½ August 30, 2016
8/30/16 Netflix DVD

What a great little movie. Shows if you have a really good story who can make a movie without violence, profanity, sex or CG enhancement. This is a story of chasing a dream, lifting yourself up, perseverance and the love of a family and support of friends. What a great and entertaining movie.
½ August 16, 2016
times #3 of writing this review!!!
August 15, 2016
i liked this indy rom-com gr8 cast good story
August 4, 2016
Terrific film. Great characters, terrific lead actress, a good story with a lot to say. Very enjoyable and a definite good time.
½ July 4, 2016
A delightful film...simply put, we watched it on Independence Day, 2016, and relished in this touching reminder of the diversity that makes the U.S.A. what it is. The ensemble cast is superb.
½ July 4, 2016
My girlfriend and I agree. This was one of the worst movies we have ever seen. I have absolutely no clue why this has been given such has ratings!!! The great reviews here convinced us to rent it and I have never been more highly disappointed! I'm beginning to doubt the validity of Rotten Tomatoe ratings and if they have been paid off. This movie was miserable to watch!
July 1, 2016
I'm ready for some sushi! Heartfelt and fun...
June 24, 2016
This movie was sooooo good!!! Touching and inspiring feel good story. Truly a MUST SEE!! '? 1/2'?? 1/2
June 14, 2016
Wow Excellent Movie ???????? Good Story Line!
June 13, 2016
We loved this movie! Thx for the recommendation, Vanessa!
June 13, 2016
Let's start with you can watch this with your kids and not have to cover their eyes and ears for half the movie! With the exception of one scene (a robbery), there is no violence. Instead this is an uplifting movie about grit and determination. What's not to love about someone who has a dream and a passion and follows it? Watched it with my 13 YO and she loved it. I loved it so much, I am adding it to the home theater collection!

Highly recommend, especially if you liked "Hundred Foot Journey".
½ June 10, 2016
Great movie and great chemistry between the two lead actors.