East Side Sushi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

East Side Sushi Reviews

½ March 13, 2018
Great feel good movie.
March 7, 2018
eNJOYABLE STORYTELLING. FINE ACTING AND PLAUSIBLE SITUATIONS, WHAT HAPPENS WHEN CULTURES MIX
February 2, 2018
This film initially attempts to paint the strong latina female lead as someone completely uneducated in the japanese culture. It appears to struggle with the massive influence that japanese culture has garnered over the past 20 years. At a later point in the film we are met with the same struggle to paint an adult japanese man, living in Los Angeles as having no knowledge of Mexican culture. Both attempts were poorly executed and I am left unable to suspend my disbelief.
½ January 15, 2018
An uncomplicated and predictable foody movie of which a sizeable portion shows food preparation. And yet it is such a good watch.
½ December 31, 2017
Lovely Film! Good script, well acted, well edited. A feel good film.
November 12, 2017
Heartwarming underdog story; celebrates American multiculturalism. A little corny, predictable writing, but sweet and well acted.
October 26, 2017
A great story. It's great to see a multi-cultural cast in such a great movie!
October 20, 2017
The movie started OK. But quickly deteriorated to a kid? movie.
½ October 8, 2017
???? ?????. ???? ??? ????? ?? ???? 30 ???. ?? ?????.
August 3, 2017
Diana Elizabeth Torres is amazing in East Side Sushi. A star in the making. Highly recommend the film.
July 1, 2017
Watch it. Really like the indie feel and flow to the film.
May 27, 2017
Young Latina woman enters the world of sushi.
May 8, 2017
At last!!! A wholesome, humble movie!
½ April 29, 2017
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. The characters were dull, the "competition" looked like a bad re-imagining of the original iron chef show, and dialogue made it difficult to watch without cringing. I honestly can't believe that the critics who rated this "film" were watching the same movie I was. Please don't believe the 4&5 star reviews...
½ November 21, 2016
Had no idea what it was about and was plesently surprised.

Many reviews nailed it:

Great movie without violence or CGI or sex

Inspiring

Breaks though ethnic and gender barriers

As a Mexican - American, it was refreshing to see a success story that did not involve drugs or illegal activities. Just a good down to earth, inspiring believable story.
November 11, 2016
I'm sorry but this movie was terrible. A champions of sushi tournament and they make a california roll and win $20,000? A traditional japanese chef that disobeys his beliefs and owner and allows her to make sushi in the closet? Lol. She gets chosen for the tournament just by making 2 or 3 things? A very traditional japanese chef...after seeing her almost win a crappy tournament of 3 or 4 people....changes heart and hires get as a sushi chef? Come on! If this movie was made back in 1960's...then I'll be like...okay...I understand...people don't know much about this....but to put out a movie like this in 2016....I'm at disbelief.
October 20, 2016
Good movie! My only gripe is the stress of authenticity about sushi and then they make california rolls lol. Other than that, very cute movie
October 7, 2016
Great feel good movie. Has it all. Does a lot but doesn't overreach. Love characters because they're real people. Not over dramatic.