Eastern Promises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eastern Promises Reviews

½ November 21, 2016
"Okay now I'm gonna cut off his fingers and remove his teeth. You might want to leave the room."
½ November 9, 2016
Simple story, tragic Russian accents and a terrible over-acted performance from Vincent Cassel. The much hyped Sauna-scene was very cool, but couldnt save this one....I expected a lot more from this flick!
October 15, 2016
Well done and intense but it all adds up to a big "so what".
October 10, 2016
While having some credibility issues and some ostentatious aspects, Eastern Promises stays above water by taking the best from an incredible Viggo Mortensen and surprises with its thoughtfulness and emotional depth.
October 4, 2016
Eastern Promises is a refreshingly calm, well shot, unconventional gangster thriller with (for Cronenberg standards) little, but explicit, raw violence (with one scene in particular involving a naked Viggo Mortensen being one of the best and most visceral fight scenes put to film), a quietly effective score and great performances, especially by Mortensen. Its intriguing discussion of classic Cronenbergian themes- body, identity and community- within a character-driven story is only hindered by the comparatively uninteresting story-part surrounding Anna and a few other writing flaws, especially in its final 30 seconds.
½ September 24, 2016
Great crime drama that deals with some serious issues and some really great performances and a wonderful script. Cronenberg is 100% one of the best directors around
½ September 22, 2016
A very new-age Godfather-ish vibe to it. Viggo Mortensen pulls off the role with plenty of grace and manages to pull you into the story instantly. The levels of brutality make this unsuitable for the faint-hearted, but a good movie nonetheless if you're capable of powering through the gore scenes.
½ September 13, 2016
A really boring and unsettling movie, I didn't like at all.
½ August 27, 2016
Viggo Mortensen truly shines in this crime drama that is both gritty and compelling, and very well-directed.
½ August 22, 2016
More a showcase for Viggo Mortensen's amazing performance than anything else, Eastern Promises is an overall mediocre gangster story. Packed with one-dimensional characters and perhaps too dialogue-rich for the genre, Eastern Promises relies on Viggo Mortensten to stay entertaining.
August 17, 2016
Excellent movie, great story and great execution, believable heroes and villains in that they are not invincible.
August 16, 2016
One of Viggo Mortenson's finest and most convincing performances
August 14, 2016
Viggo Mortensen is stern and calculated, reflecting the calm of a man who knows he's in charge of the situation, while not overdoing it. Naomi Watts is also great for her part, while the other castmates are OK but do not excel. A good movie that kept me engaged but not something i'd want to revisit, a solid 8/10.
July 24, 2016
A bit convoluted but enjoyable
½ July 22, 2016
David Cronenberg is one of my favorite directors, even though I would really only rank one of his movies (Cosmopolis) as a favorite of mine.

David clearly had something on his mind that he wants to talk about for each of his films, but they end up getting bogged down by poor plot structuring almost every time.

The parts of Eastern Promises that are great, are really great. The realistic portrayal of lifetime criminals, the shocking violence, every single time Viggo Mortinsenis on screen, are all fantastic, but are bogged down down by a lack of momentum and a climax that comes too early in the film.

Great movie if you are able to look past those structural issues.
July 17, 2016
Yo no puedo creer que nunca antes había visto esta película.
La manera en la que Viggo Mortensen le pone el cuerpo (literalmente) a Nikolai me dejó muda.
½ July 17, 2016
Really good Russian mafia film. Very underrated
½ June 4, 2016
Dark and bloody. I enjoyed the plot even if it was somewhat predictable. But I always enjoy Viggo Mortensen in anything.
May 28, 2016
Count me as one who found this very slow and constantly waiting for the psychological drama to stimulate. It had all the required ingredients to make something beautiful, yet the whole does not even add up to the sum it's parts. Viggo Mortensen's performance was noteworthy, so that is a plus. But the talented Naomi Watts wasn't employed in a fashion that brought out the best in her. Overall this movie is quite overrated and not the psychological drama it's made out to be.
May 22, 2016
"Eastern Promises" is an expert blend of brutal violence and tender morality, and features a stellar performance from Viggo Mortensen.