Eat the Rich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eat the Rich Reviews

April 26, 2013
Sometimes you leave a film 25 years and then you go back and realise its a brutal black comedy which attacks the more unsavoury parts of Thatchers Britain in the late 80s.
Following on from the low key and funny The Supergrass, the Comic strip team lead by Peter Richardson go for the jugular with this anarchic and sometimes very funny comedy about those with and how those without plot their downfall.
Alex is a frustrated waiter in a resturant called BASTARDS which caters for the horribly rich and just plain horrible.
When Alex is sacked he is left homeless and then devises a plan to wreak revenge with the aid of Ron ,Jimmy and Fiona who all have there own reasons for getting there own back on the BASTARDS clentele.
To add to that story a ruthless Commander Fortune played with ease and sinister charm by Crossroads stalwart Ronald Allen and his henchman Spider played by Lemmy!!!! are determined to bring down Home Sec Nosh played by long term stunt man Nosher Powell.
Nosh is an uncouth hard drinking womaniser who is only one crude step away from becoming PM.
Most of the humour involves drinking, swearing, cannibalism and lashings of Motorhead on the soundtrack.
Director Peter Richardson pulls out all the stops here as he attacks the system in place at the time and allows Nosher to stamp on private parts and wee in Buckingham palace grounds.
Its also good fun looking out for celebrity cameos from Paul McCartney,Bill Wyman,Sandie Shaw and Jools Holland.
It might not be subtle and i guess thats half the films point but its also very strange that this film didnt turn up in the Comic Strip boxset released a few years ago.
A film of its time then but with plenty of delicious dark humour amid the more obvious gags .
½ February 24, 2012
A pretty good flick, especially after they start serving up the rich snobs.
December 27, 2011
It's only Rock'n'Roll, but I like it !
½ July 3, 2011
Typical Dark British Comedy based around the obsession of class
February 1, 2011
From Comic Strip co-creator Peter Richardson and his co-writer Pete Richens, this is a black comedy on celebrity life and the British government of the 1980's. Made during the 3rd Series of the Comic Strip, it's actually a very good film, and should have made them famous, but it flopped, which is a shame, as it's still relevent now. It has waiter Alex (Alan Pellay) getting sacked from his job after being pushed around by the upper classes, now homeless, he witnesses a terrorist attack on an embassy, so does a raid on a dole office and goes on the lam with Ron (Ron Tarr). Meanwhile, Home Secretary Nosher Powell (Nosher Powell as himself), is a lager lout who has a no-nonsense way of dealing with trouble, however Commander Fortune (Ronald Allen) and Spider (Lemmy) want to derail Nosher's campaign of becoming Prime Minister, they find a brilliant idea of bringing him down when Alex and Ron open a restaurant called Eat The Rich, that's serving up some very "rich" food, minced up in the kitchen. It's a very good satire on class and celebrity, with the Comic Strip team, including Ade Edmondson, Rik Mayall, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Nigel Planer and Robbie Coltrane making cameos, and so does Paul McCartney, Jools Holland and Bill Wyman. One in need of a rediscovery, good soundtrack by Motörhead though.
½ December 10, 2010
as lemmy said: "a wonderful little tale of politics and cannibalism." :)
½ July 2, 2010
Funny, in a crude, British sort of way.
February 26, 2010
Excellent concept. Vey funny. The last two lines in the movie are profound...
January 4, 2010
Some great BritRocker cameos in this...will Fiona deliver her baby OK?
½ January 2, 2010
I've been waiting since high school to watch this movie and I really have to say that this movie is horrible. The only thing I liked about it was the soundtrack otherwise this was a complete waste of time.
November 14, 2009
This movie was hilarious! It may not appeal to the public at large but those with a wacky sense of humour will love it. The plot is a bit lame but the ideas is appealing to the anarchist in those of us so inclined. I like the insane plodding of the characters that most in modern society will not relate to or even sympatise with. this is not the 60s unfortunately. I love the insane ending..
November 6, 2009
Genius casting! (Lemmy as MP's gofer; Pogues as terrorists) Brilliant soundtrack! (Motorhead - mostly from "Orgasmatron", my favourite Lp by them) Hilarious plot! Well directed! Hard to find Ch.4 'Comic Strip' team classic - highly recommended!
September 27, 2009
A cult classic & long time fav. Still luv Alex & Nosh.
August 3, 2009
Interesting look at 80's Britain and the divide between the haves and have-nots. A transsexual waiter named Alex is fired from a restaurant catering to the very rich with its obnoxious customers. With a homeless tramp, and two others, Alex decides to wage revolution against the rich, with a little help from a Russian spy and his cohort (Lemmy from Motorhead).

It's got attitude with the music from Motorhead, and Nosher Powell, as the obnoxious bullying Home Secretary who wants to be prime minister, is a villain to be hated. Lots of guests cameos abound, e.g. Miranda Richardson, Paul McCartney, Bill Wyman, and Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid from Harry Potter).
½ July 24, 2009
Definitely one of the weirdest movies I've seen. Lemmy plays an illegal arms dealer, and gets away with it, it's not too far away from his natural character. The movie has a kind of an anarchist-revolutionary anti-politician plot.
Musical score by Motorhead.
Worth seeing out of curiosity, and Lemmy of course!!
February 12, 2009
I have no idea why this isnt praised among the best British films of all time. Honest in its approach to subject matter means there is no pretentiousness to it and the wired scenery and camera work puts you in mind of the stranger Gilliam stuff. It's like "the cook the thief his wife and her lover" but actually entreating. If there's anything that annoyed me about it it's some of the poor acting but that gives it a neo realist feel and hammers the working classes of the character home. And what a sound track! I'm a huge motorhead fan but anyway but the sound does fit as a mob mentality fast paste fuck you sound which was a thousand times better than some boring classical arrangement would. Lemmy played his part well too, so did Shane McGowan, even old Paul McCartney cameos in there. Brilliant visionary important film.
December 20, 2008
Hahaha. Too much to comment on. I love that Paul McCartney was in this also.
October 23, 2008
You probably have to be English to really get all the jokes in this movie, but its a great look at people on the extremes of the socio-economic divide. Fun and crazy over the top characters. Kinda like a british 80's fight club in a way lol.
October 5, 2008
The best fucking movie I have ever seen.