Echoes of the Rainbow (Sui yuet san tau) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Echoes of the Rainbow (Sui yuet san tau) Reviews

½ January 13, 2011
O filme retrata Hong Kong nos anos 60, como pode ser vista atravs dos olhos de uma criana. Curioso, impertinente e sempre correndo apuros, o garoto observa com perspiccia e humor a sociedade em constante mutao de Hong Kong.
A histria gira em torno da criana e sua famlia - um pai de classe operria, uma me despreocupada e um irmo mais velho sonhador. Atravs do primeiro romance do irmo mais velho, e encontros da famlia com amor, esperana, fracasso, morte e renascimento, viajamos de volta para um lugar chamado velha Hong Kong, num tempo que sempre lembraremos e num lugar que sempre chamaremos de lar.
½ January 10, 2011
2 cheesy hours watching someone die of leukemia in 1960s Hong Kong. Ends with tears and a double rainbow.
January 6, 2011
A drama film about a family in Hong Kong in the 1960s. Beautifully shot and touching.
December 28, 2010
A beautiful movie about family ties and brotherly love and a nostalgic piece about Hong Kong in the '50s, though a bit too sappy for my taste, and it was told in a classic manner, reflecting the '50s Hong Kong setting of the movie.

The story takes too long to establish the setting and characters, but that probably helped the stronger impact at the end.

This happens to be Hong Kong's official submission to the Oscars this year, and knowing the Academy through their history of nominations and awards, I could possibly predict a nomination for this movie.
December 27, 2010
步>步 1/2?
December 24, 2010
. . . is it my problem =_=
I really find it disappointing, really conventional and FLAT

The worst is seeing Evelyn and Aarif giving one of the most unbeliveably fake and clumsy performance as a pair of young couples - and Aarif won an award from the 29th HK Film Awards!?

HOW COME?! The kid is better in my opinion......

Do people speak that much English and modern slangs? It is not convincing even they want to make him the star student in DBS. I like Sandra though~
December 17, 2010
Nostalgic....and the young actors are superb.
December 16, 2010
1/2?? 1/4被? 1/4(TM) 1/4~ 1/4 1/4?? 1/4',...起 (C)?饭 1/4?? 1/4? (R)饭'... 1/4?妹起(TM) 1/2 1/4?? 1/4,> 3/4 3/4''西 1/2"? (R)??, 3/4 1/2--... 1/4 1/2毫- 3/4???", 1/2~大'? 1/2 1/2 (R) 1/4 1/2~" 1/2 1/2'(TM),
步 3/4 1/4步 1/2 1/4 1/2步 1/4 3/4步 1/4this is real life...

and the end,the greatest thief of all is time.....
December 11, 2010
The Laws live above their shop at one end of a quiet Hong Kong street. Mr. Law (Simon Yam) makes the shoes; his wife (Sandra Ng Kwan Yue) sells them. They have two sons. The younger, "Big Ears" (Buzz Chung), is about seven or eight years old and our narrator; he's a troublemaker in school and likes to nick things out of it. Older brother Desmond (Lee Chi-ting) is an excellent student and athlete at a private English-language school. He's seeing a nice girl, Flora (Evelyn Choi). Money-wise, the Laws don't have much, but they have a roof over their heads. A typhoon threatens that, but it's what they discover afterward that shakes them more.

The street that the Laws live on in Echoes of the Rainbow is a real place; it was actually marked for preservation rather than demolition after the film's success at the box office. What we're seeing in the movie, of course, is a bit of a fairy-tale version of the place, but Law isn't hiding that; he occasionally edits in snippets of home movies that show it as much more crowded and somewhat dingier. It's actually a nice effect, acknowledging that we're seeing the story nostalgically, from the perspective of young Big Ears, but also showing that the reality does not actually contradict his experiences.

The story is small-scaled, taking place against a backdrop of Hong Kong in the 1960s rather than placing the Laws at the front line of well-known local events, with the possible exception of the typhoon (from the amount of destruction, I hope that was an exceptional case, as opposed to what Hong Kong's residents have to go through several times each season!). The economy's not great, the local corruption makes it worse, and certain tensions are causing those who can get out to do so. It's focused, not obviously striving to make the point that the problems facing the Laws are parallels for the ones facing the whole colony, but showing a believable sample. There's something almost fitting about how Desmond's favorite song on the radio is played by the Monkees; the Laws aren't big-time enough to be represented by the Beatles.

They're humble, but good company, if imperfect people. Buzz Chung is completely natural on camera; if he has a natural tendency toward mugging, Law holds him in check. In fact, for all that he's presented as an innocent and unspoiled character, he cries a lot and does other things that remind the audience that kids, when not being cute and awesome, can really be kind of annoying. Lee Chi-ting's Desmond is much more idealized - good at everything, friendly, and humble, although he's good at playing that humility as something of an inferiority complex. Simon Yam won his first Best Actor award for the father, and it is a very nice performance from the ubiquitous actor. He's harried and cranky, the kind of father that doesn't say "I love you" easily or directly, but whose emotion is clearly visible in his actions.

There are lots of movies like "Echoes of the Rainbow", trying to balance gauzy nostalgia with more than a bit of tear-jerking melodrama. The viewer can see what it's doing as it's doing it, which will mark it as unsophisticated for some. It falls well short of tacky in that regard, though; a familiar story, but one told well.

滿人.."'" 3/4 1/2...

步> 步 1/2 1/4
>步 1/2步....
December 11, 2010
as a hong konger, must watch!
December 11, 2010
This almost 2hr movies definitely has a piece of potray in every1 life's. A very touching story, One of simon yam best performance as agreed by himself. Beautiful backdrop of sixties. Life as it use to be. Simple yet complicated.
½ October 30, 2010
Once every decade comes a movie so authentic it doesn't need a good plot to move you.
½ October 24, 2010
It's a very typical melodrama that makes you laugh and cry. Still, it was too pretentious for my taste to try to manipulate the audience's feelings. But the film production was still very fine, only if the filmmakers Mabel Cheung and Alex Law can return to the unpretentious greatness they did in their early works such as "An Autumn Tale."
½ October 24, 2010
A proper, decent, localised Hong Kong movie for ages. Taking all the advantages of recent hot discussion of cultural conservation & reminiscence of "old-Hong Kong" (by awkwardly filling contemporary slangs in every lines spoken doesn't mean it's real reminiscence however!), in addition to director's proclaimed semi-autobiography, it is still one soapie melodrama deep down in vein. Simon Yam is convincing by portraying a humble father-figure living in the '60s; Sandra Ng is good in certain important scenes but just alrightee in average. And, Buzz Chung (Big Ears, the younger son) absolutely deserves the Hong Kong Film Awards' Best New Performer recognition more than Aarif Lee (Desmond, the elder son).
½ October 16, 2010
Quite sappy, especially with the music, but it's a pleasant and enjoyable film.
October 9, 2010
The 'core values' of Hong Kong. Targeted as an award catching movie, and it successed.
½ September 12, 2010
½ September 10, 2010
All my friends watched the movie with me cried their eyes out.
September 5, 2010
A quite touching, lovingly shot and portrayed look at 60s Hong Kong. It's nice to finally see the film that shamed Hong Kong's Urban Renewal Authority into saving rather than bulldozing yet another one of our historical streets.