Ed and His Dead Mother - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ed and His Dead Mother Reviews

August 6, 2016
Steve Buscemi lives with his uncle Ned Beatty since his mother died a year prior. He's still very upset about her death, and meets someone who represents a company which can bring her back to life. His mom starts to behave oddly, and soon realizes he'll have to keep paying the company for injections to keep her acting correctly. Steve starts to get romantically involved with a woman, though his mother is very disapproving. In some ways similar to Dead Alive, but nowhere as good.
½ August 11, 2014
(First and only viewing - 9/15/2008)
November 19, 2012
Funny tongue-in-cheek movie, but perhaps it would have made a better episode of Tates From The Crypt,than a full length movie. Good cast.
December 17, 2011
Disturbingly weird. I want to own this movie!
½ September 15, 2011
I thought it was a mix between FIDO and a weak version of DEAD ALIVE. I usually love this type of film but was dissapointed.
August 27, 2011
Really could have used some over-the-top gore sequences, which would have propelled it to maybe a 4-star film, rather than those out-of-place fades to black. Buscemi is charming (great as always) and the other acting is funny, but the film feels lacking in a lot of places. Despite this I am glad to finally have seen it, and its a worthwhile black comedy nonetheless.
½ May 22, 2011
Ed And His Dead Mother was a different type of zombie flick but it just wasn't as funny as I thought it was gonna be.Most of the funny moments came from Ned Beatty as the perverted uncle.Other than that, It's Not something I'd watch again
February 11, 2011
It's better to be the hammer than the nail

Ed owns a hardware store in a small town. He has a nice house, a nice job, and a fairly nice life. Ed owes everything he has to his mother who passed away about a year ago. Unfortunately, he hasn't got over the death of his mother. One inauspicious day an apparent con man arrives on his door step and offers to bring his mother back to life for a nominal fee. Ed initially jumps at the chance to bring his mother back to life, but once he sees her in her new living form, he may decide that he made the wrong decision.

"You cut your mother's head off. It kind of follows that you killed her."

Jonathan Wacks, director of Sirens, 21 Jump Street, Mystery Date, and Going to Extremes, delivers Ed and his Dead Mother. The storyline for this picture is a solid blend of comedy and horror and reminded me of a twist between Pet Semetery, The Frighteners, and Idle Hands. The script and settings were well selected and the acting was marvelous. The cast includes Steve Buscemi, Eric Christmas, Ned Beatty, Rance Howard, and John Glover.

"You poor fucks must be hungry."

Ed and his Mother is a film my wife found. We have been following Buscemi films a little more closely since we enjoyed the Boardwalk Empire series so much. This film was marvelous and I was surprised that I had never heard of this gem. This film contains brilliant comedic content with a mixture of a zombie/gremlins feel. I do strongly recommend giving this film a shot.

"Your mother is in the refrigerator."

Grade: B
½ January 23, 2011
This is a crazy movie about a middle aged man who lost his mother. He is in great grief so he makes a deal with a salesman to resurrect his mother. But there is a problem, the mother turns out quite different than they expected. This movie was very weird and very funny.
½ December 13, 2010
Steve Buscemi (hair a-hangin') is Ed, who brings his mother back from death via techniques of Happy People Ltd.. And then everything right goes wrong. Quirky story played by good actors.
½ December 12, 2010
This movie is pretty one demensional and the joke gets old. Steve Buscemi does a great job of carrying it though.
November 28, 2010
"A family reunion with some minor complications"

½ November 2, 2010
Raucously off-beat black comedy with horriffic overtones starring wormy-and-squirmy Steve Buscemi as Hardware-Store owner Ed, mourning the loss of his recently-deceased mother. He goes to some desperate lengths to bring back Dear Old Mom, with exceedingly frightful-&-disturbing results. Featuring a great supporting cast, most notably plump Oompa-Loompa Miriam Margloyes as Mother, and the delightful-& delicious Sam Jenkins as the smoldering femme fatale/girlfriend. Wonderfully weird and wacky.
October 12, 2010
I lived in Manning Iowa where this movie is set; I met only one person there who would acknowledge it and he was the Chief of Police and he put his hand on his gun when I brought it up. 'Nuf said?
January 21, 2010
Interesting concept, interesting movie. Gotta love Steve Buscemi.
August 15, 2009
What a hidden treasure! I had never heard of it before either. Of course Steve Buscemi was the main reason attracting me to it but he wasnt the only person who "made" the movie .
Miriam Margolyes was amazing in this role. I think the best Ive ever seen her in.
It was very nice to also catch a glimpse at a young Uncle Rico.There were some pretty rad quotes throgh out the movie.

"That's when I take a stand. That's when I'm counted as a man! That's when I throw my balls up over my shoulder and charge into the fire!
June 18, 2009
Positively hillarious.
½ May 16, 2009
A particularly goofy but enjoyable film.
½ November 21, 2008
Could have been better, but entertaining!
½ September 15, 2008
I have no idea how this film slipped under my radar, but it was definitely right up my alley. Granted it has it's share of indy sloppiness and goofy scenes, but this is a dark/horror/comedy fun house that will give you the good ol' fashioned willy-giggles. A young Buscemi is wonderful and strange (imagine that), and Ned Beatty is just perfect as usual. Throw in a mad clowned grandma and some volumptuous nudity and you have yourself a film worth the trip to the mailbox.