The Tomb (2008)

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

The Tomb Videos

The Tomb Photos

Movie Info

Wes Bentley, Eric Roberts, and Michael Madsen headline first-time feature filmmaker Michael Straininger's story of a successful writer and scholar who falls under the spell of a bewitching seductress on an obsessive quest for immortality. Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's acclaimed short story of the same name, Ligeia tells the story of Jonathan Merrick (Bentley), a respected academic engaged to the beautiful Rowena (Kaitlin Doubleday), but unable to resist the advances of ravishing siren Ligeia (Sofya Skya). Ligeia suffers from a terminal illness, and in order to cheat death she extracts the souls of others. After tricking Jonathan into supporting her ghoulish endeavor, Ligeia gradually draws him into her mysterious world of darkness. Forsaking his beloved Rowena, Jonathan joins Ligeia in her lavish manor at the edge of the Black Sea. There, Ligeia's amaranthine presence slowly erodes the fragile psyche of her prisoner Jonathan, forever cursed to be the victim of his own undying lust.
Rating:
R (for some sexual content, language, violence and brief drug use)
Genre:

as Ligeia
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for The Tomb

All Critics (1)

There are some good horror moments (especially when Ligeia is doing her black-magic voodoo by administering absinthe and trapping souls in her secret dungeon), but mostly the movie is talk, talk, sex, talk, talk.

Full Review… | July 3, 2010

Quote not available.

Full Review… | April 24, 2012
Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review Database

Audience Reviews for The Tomb

½

(**): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon13.gif[/img] Not really scary and rather slow-moving (the film feels more like 3 hours than 90 minutes). Fair at best.

TTT C
TTT C

"We will never have to pay that price. We can live forever." I don't know why I watch movies like these. They're clearly going to be awful. All the reviews I read further reinforced the fact that it was going to be awful. But, I still felt compelled to see it, anyway. And yep, it was awful. The problems were myriad. The scares and horror aspect of The Tomb were surpassed by most of The Goosebumps books I read as a kid. The story was silly and bland. The attempt to appeal to the audience with sex fell flat with scenes that would hardly earn a PG-13 rating and had no chemistry between the participants. The absolute worst things about The Tomb, though were the acting and the script. The entire cast was uniformly wretched, especially Wes Bentley and Sofya Skya. Sofya is certainly a very beautiful woman, but she would be wise to reconsider this whole "actress" thing. And Bentley came close to achieving the feat of making me never want to see another movie that he's in, ever. As for the script, describing it as "amateur" would be an insult to everyone who has ever been an amateur at anything in the history of the world. The dialogue is abysmal, and I can't imagine that anyone spent more than a few hours writing this. I don't know what kind of dire financial situations are responsible for Eric Roberts and Michael Madsen being in this dreck, but I'm willing to offer money out of my own pockets to help them never have to be in anything this terrible, again. The only possible entertainment to be gained from The Tomb is from making fun of it. It's hilariously bad, but still too boring for me to recommend even for a laugh with your friends.

Lewis C.
Lewis C.

½

This is not an all together bad movie, but the plot was a bit scattered and hard to understand. It must have been hard to stretch an 8 page short story into a feature length movie so I am blaming the lack of plot on that. It would have been nice if it could have stayed true to original idea of Poe's story and for that I can't forgive this movie.

Heather Metzger
Heather Metzger

The Tomb Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Tomb on our Movie forum!

News & Features