Edge of Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Edge of Darkness Reviews

½ August 21, 2017
Interesting action thriller with dark subtexts, great work from Gibson as the lead.
August 15, 2017
Edge of Darkness is a conspiracy thriller that just feels...odd. I can't really describe the feeling when I watch this film, I neither love it or hate it...I just feel really mixed. Like it just exists. Coming hot off of Casino Royale, Martin Campbell revisits the BBC series and turns it into a feature film that incorporates shadowy organisations, conspiracies and vengeance. A good conspiracy leaves you on the edge of your seat, this does not...but it's actually rather mature and intelligent. Sure, remove the improbable ending and slow beginning, and what we are left with is a very mysterious plot that I'm certain probably does happen in reality with big governmental organisations (less extreme of course, I'm looking at you Apple!). Whilst our lead character is playing the detective role and following the bread crumbs so to speak, he is also a father mourning the tragic death of his daughter which definitely brings in some much needed emotion and motive. Crazy Mel Gibson, who hadn't had a lead role since Signs, plays the Boston detective who...can hear the voice of his deceased daughter and engage in conversations with her...maybe he is crazy after all. To be fair, he was pretty decent and was able to hold my attention. Ray Winstone was strange casting and didn't really work for me, who plays a shady agent with his own motives. Danny Huston though, always a good choice although slightly underused. Martin Campbell's directing style felt like it was made for TV, nothing snazzy or spectacular...just functional. Perhaps a well intentioned choice to keep it in the roots of the TV series. Two scenes though, absolutely magnificent or what I like to call "Oh My God" moments. One involves the detective's daughter and the other a collision with a car. Literally happened out of nowhere and caught me off guard, excellent editing! But still...I feel "meh" even thinking about the film. It's finely crafted, and utterly watchable if you had nothing to do on a Sunday afternoon. I just don't think I'll ever fully appreciate it. Worth a watch.
June 24, 2017
One of the better films of this decade
½ June 11, 2017
Given little time to connect with Mel Gibson's characters daughter in this movie you feel robbed of a stronger sense of loss when she (spoiler alert) dies. Martin Campbell seems a little wasted here as any competent director of film (or tv for that matter) could have directed this.

The story is fine but somehow much less interesting than it ought to be in it's presentation. Not a bad movie but it just never truly comes alive until the the last 20 minutes.
April 10, 2017
I think this got mixed reviews was because critics didn't want to be the one to give Mel a good critique on something that was one of his first movies after it appeared he'd blown up his career. Frontier the very beginning you are taken by surprise and the movie doesn't let you go from there on. Each supporting player was chosen perfectly for the role they played. the film takes it time to slowly uncover the truth behind what happens in the very first scene. would recommend this to anyone that remembers and loves Mel's action/cop/psychological thrillers.
March 2, 2017
Enjoyed this a lot more on the revisit.

I never seen the BBC mini series so can't compare them both.

Gibson is in fine form and is ruthless as he hunts for his daughters killers.

A superb ending.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ November 5, 2016
Gibson is a badass and this movie was amazing.
½ August 7, 2016
Even though it has a really good performance by Mel Gibson, it is incredibly slow and Ray Winstone's character had nothing to do and could have ben left out.
May 28, 2016
I am not certain why this film garnered such mixed reviews, it is exactly what it is supposed to be, a fast moving action thriller, although this has an intellect too. Mel Gibson did a great job at holding all the characters together. And all the actors are well casted and due a great job. Seen this 3 times and will watch it again at some point. If you haven't seen it, then watch it, you will not be disappointed.
April 26, 2016
really enjoyed this movie no it's not oscar worthy but this is a good story well told and Mel was awesome all the supporting actors were fantastic too looking forward to seeing Blood Father in my opinion movies like this that slip through the cracks are the best most of what's in theaters isn't worth watching just super hero movies
April 16, 2016
It begins with lots of promise and some of the scenes are truly thrilling but it feels bloated with a lack of action and a unenthralling plot bogged down by exposition and poor pacing.

D+
April 14, 2016
82%
Saw this on 15/4/16
It doesn't try to be Mel Gibson's Taken, doesn't let the action do the talking, but instead flows slowly and rather sensibly. Despite the somewhat formulaic set up, the film has enough affectionate moments and the key actors Mel Gibson and Ray Winstone shine. Edge of Darkness seems to be a more realistic depiction of a 'father who loves daughter so much' scenario molded in an action-thriller format.
March 25, 2016
What a movie Mel Gibson really brought a strong performance and you bought him in this role. As sad anger father looking for pace even if it takes him to a dark place. I strongly encourage you to watch this film if your looking for dark, intense thriller and if your just a movie fan in general you'll like this Edge of Darkness.
March 20, 2016
As daring as it is forgettable. Mel Gibson returns in form as his typical wild card type of character in a familiar but perfectly passable thriller with bouts of very graphic violence.
February 12, 2016
Hear this one way be a remake, but honestly I couldn't help but enjoy it. Mel Gibson does a great job playing the role of a distressed cop and dad of a murdered daughter who was right in from of him, who has nothing to lose and a killer to take down. Something we have seen before for sure, but this one is enjoyable and fun to watch. Mel's good, but is a little lacking on the emotion, which may be intended but not from what I can gather. The story is standard police content, the search, breaking a couple of laws, some action, and their personalities. The big corporations that he's against pose a unusually large threat than just gangs and murderers. The action takes a turn for the most bloody right off the bat when the daughter is shot at point blank range right at their doorstep, and Mel taking down the big corporations employe who was trying to run over the girl that was giving him inside information with a car was awesome too. But the real best part was the ending, where Mel's slays his daughters killer and the big companies boss in the most fashionable and awesome way possible, then seeing him walking out of the hospital holding his daughters hand implying him dying of his wounds was great. Has some good actors as well as Mel, who all do well, although there's nothing extraordinary. Overall good movie, very entertaining watch, some awesome action scenes, satisfying executions of bad guys, and good script. Would watch again for sure.
Null
½ February 8, 2016
Good but not great. Edge of Darkness is pretty cliche and boring at times. But Mel Gibson's performance, well written dialogue and story is enough to be keep you engrossed.
½ February 6, 2016
Once the interesting mystery is revealed, Edge of Darkness starts teetering on the edge and becomes quite laughable despite Mel Gibson's exceptional performance
January 12, 2016
What a strange and varied portfolio of films Martin Campbell has under his belt. I've not always been a fan but good news is, I thought Edge of Darkness was great! Interesting to see him revisiting and remaking his 80's BBC miniseries into a film, a great move (although Green Lantern was an odd follow up decision). Mel Gibson is brilliant in the lead role and Ray Winstone is great in his supporting role. The beginning of the film totally took me by surprise and I was thrilled throughout - I think this film is somewhat overlooked, it is way above average for it's genres, especially of late.
November 17, 2015