Edge of Darkness Reviews

• Jan 04, 2021

Could have been an excellent thriller, if the writer did not treat its audience as idiots. Lots of loopholes, as many senerios not answered. Example : why did'nt Craven ask in the autopsy why his daughter was vomiting and nose bleed. The acting very good, but story fell short......very short.

• Oct 17, 2020

Excellent acting, great movie!

Excellent acting, great movie!

• Aug 11, 2020

An incredible comeback for Mel Gibson that features great suspense, a fantastic mystery story, and shows that he still has it in him.

• Jul 21, 2020

I saw this movie just wanting to watch Mel Gibson, later I found out that the movie was a remake of an old BBC TV movie. I saw that movie too and while both have merit, I got to say I enjoy this movie better. Mel Gibson plays Tom Craven, a tough but honest Boston cop who enjoys a visit from his daughter Emma. All appears fine until his daughter gets so ill that he has to take her to the hospital but before they can leave a shooter shouts out their names and kills Emma. Believing it to be an act of revenge by someone he arrested, his department does all it can to help their fellow man on the force get justice for his daughter. But Craven believes otherwise as he recalls his daughter wanting to tell him something important. This leads to Craven looking into what his daughter, a nuclear researcher, was doing at a decommissioned nuclear weapons plant called Northmoor. Eventually, he meets a mysterious government agent named Jedburgh who provides him with information. Learning about an incident that led to several people being killed but even more that it had something to do with an activist group out to find out about the goings-on in Northmoor given its ties to the United States Government. All this leads to revelations of nefarious crimes committed by Northmoor all the while Craven does all he can to expose and gain revenge on those that killed his daughter. I got to say it is always a pleasure seeing Mel Gibson do what he does best. The story was good, I had no idea it was a remake, but I eventually saw the original and like this better. Maybe because of the better budget, renown cast, set in America, and its far less political than the original but also because it moves faster. A great movie.

• Jun 13, 2020

Filmmaker Martin Campbell had a rough couple years in 2010-11. "Green Lantern" being the obvious low-point of his whole career, tackling a popular superhero property with a troubled production and fizzled out of with such poor reception. His assured skills as a director were just shallowed up by this sorrowfully misguided blockbuster smothered in painfully cartoonish CGI effects. "Edge of Darkness" came out the year before and didn't muster too much hype at all, despite acclaimed actor Mel Gibson making a comeback after an eight year hiatus from the limelight due to his off-screen tirades. This movie is not bad by most means but just decidedly flat and standard fare for this type of sub-genre. It is a slow-burn without a tangible sense of build-up or atmosphere; a thriller with a lack of thrills. Thankfully, Mel Gibson anchors this movie with a taut, convincing lead performance. Campbell helms the film competently enough with a handful of action bits, some well-executed dialogue scenes and a few jolting surprises. - 6/10 (C+)

• Jun 10, 2020

Mel Gibson is the right actor for this broken but determined character

Mel Gibson is the right actor for this broken but determined character

• Apr 28, 2020

Edge of Darkness isn't bad, but it isn't particularly memorable. It doesn't help it has a title similar to Star Trek either. Mel Gibson... blah blah blah avenges his daughter. Some decent scenes, Mel does his acting thing. Nothing spectacular.

• Feb 09, 2020

Sullen, slow, and stupid. It’s a long way from the entertainment of Lethal Weapon. The plot is predictable, but the sudden explosions and cheap attempts to frighten the viewer area hint of desperate writing. The entire “my beautiful daughter” effort fails. One moment we’re supposed to believe she’s the apple of his eye, all the while failing to explain why he knows little of her life. What has happened to Hollywood?

• Jan 14, 2020

This is bad. Really bad. Brutally uncompelling backstory. The motive for a revenge movie needs to be less disturbing. And the actual revenge part of the story needs to be interesting. Edge of Darkness is nothing like Payback.

• Sep 29, 2019

Edge of Darkness, is a worthy action thriller but overall it's dull storyline and lack of thrills does not hit a big target.