Edge of Obedience Reviews

• May 21, 2019

Edge of Obedience is an excellent documentary about Ahmad Zakii Anwar, an artist who paints nudes in Malaysia, where it is a taboo. Director Jin-Theng Craven thoughtfully explores issues of artistic expression and religious freedoms in Anwar's home country of Malaysia. I find that there's far too many amazing and under-watched documentary films on Amazon, Netflix, and other platforms -- films like Edge of Obedience. With so much garbage reality television on now, it is refreshing to be able to find and watch intriguing and informative true stories like this one. I have a soft spot for anyone who is trying to overcome conservative societal limitations, so I deeply connected with the film. I highly recommend Edge of Obedience to anyone looking for a good documentary.

• Apr 14, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed Jin Craven's beautiful and captivating documentary Edge of Obedience. I had no prior knowledge of the artist Ahmad Zakii Anwar or the cultural and political history in Malaysia. I was passionately moved by Ahmad's spirit that kept him going and evolving despite living in a repressed culture. It was fascinating to get to know this artist. I found the film really powerful on a level that is hard to describe and I hope there are more documentaries to come from this filmmaker. A must see for sure. Beautiful film.

• Dec 15, 2018

Malaysian artist Ahmad Zakii Anwar is the wonderfully intriguing subject of this outstanding and deftly nuanced documentary from Jin-Theng Craven. The perfectly-titled Edge of Obedience is simply a must-see for anyone who stands in admiration of those courageous enough to engage knowingly and unapologetically in the forward-looking deconstruction of antiquated cultural taboos. Middle-aged and living in a world that doesn't enjoy the freedoms we so often neglect to appreciate in the west, Ahmad Zakii Anwar is a metaphorical punk rocker by any definition of western nomenclature. Painting nudes is his passion; it charges his creativity, and as an added bonus, it allows him to swim against the oppressive current represented by the entrenched institutions of power, tradition, and religion - all of which predictably find his art to be incendiary and intolerable. As a documentarian, Jin-Theng Craven is a storyteller operating at an elite level, and here she has empowered that cause by choosing a truly compelling character as her subject. Through Craven's mastery of craft, Ahmad Zakii Anwar soon transcends the role of mere artist to become a rare and necessary cultural catalyst for a society resistant to abandoning its long-established but decaying paradigms. Like a Muhammed Ali or even a Johnny Rotten, Anwar is a threat to the establishment, and his homeland is surely all the better for it.

• Sep 28, 2018

What an amazing documentary following the unbelievable journey of Ahmad Zakii Anwar. A beautiful artist discussing the development of his style in a country under Islamic control, which can definitely be a challenging place to express ones artistic ability with no boundaries. Well worth the watch and will definitely be watching again!

• Sep 25, 2018

A really interesting and engaging film in which the artist Zakii discusses the development of his style and subject matter in a country where Islamic control is tightening. Jin-Theg Craven beautifully manages a sensitive portrayal of a difficult topic. I really loved the film and the glimpses it gave me into life in Malaysia. I was frustrated a little through the film by the feeling that it didn't get to the meat of the matter however I thoroughly recommend seeing the film.

• Sep 17, 2018

An incredibly fascinating insight into the role religious hardliners can play in shaping the artistic and creative output of both an individual and country as a whole. The topic feels incredibly relevant in today's modern society, and Ahmad is certainly a character we could all learn from. Fascinating and brilliantly executed with some stunning visuals.