Edge of Seventeen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Edge of Seventeen Reviews

½ February 20, 2016
Extremely well made,with a very appropriate style,this movie deals very well with the struggle of finding yourself and coming in terms with it.A coming-of-age,coming out movie with its heart in the right place.A very good performance from Stafford managed to make it feel fresh.
½ May 28, 2015
campy but fun. Great music!
May 4, 2014
A young gay guy comes to terms with his sexuality...all in the mid 80's.....loved it..great soundtrack and not one of those corny scripts to kill it on arrival....
½ February 27, 2014
It takes a little while for it to get going and to get into the characters, but Edge of Seventeen provides a surprisingly engaging tale of discovering and experimenting with one's own sexuality in the era of the AIDS epidemic, and it is more about the protagonist's own personal issues and feelings when identifying with himself rather than outside conflicts. It has a lot of focus, and the relatively unknown Chris Stafford really makes us feel frustrated with him. The 80's backdrop gives the film a great sense of identity as well, and evokes a sense of nostalgia. Despite the low production values, it actually adds to the nostalgia factor even more. Lea DeLaria gives a great performance as well.
February 17, 2013
Totally love this movie
January 5, 2013
I feel this is one of the most relatable coming out films I've seen.
August 26, 2012
Awesome soundtrack , took me back in time to my teen years . Story mirrored my coming out phase .
June 13, 2012
one of my favorite movies <333
June 8, 2012
Want to see it again.
April 18, 2012
amazing movie like its really what a 17 year old gay guy would go through
March 14, 2012
The guy that plays the main character, Eric, is just so unbelievably endearing in his thoroughly honest portrayal of struggling with his feelings. The friend, Maggie, is also portayed with amazing honesty, and sometimes the lesbian friend steals the show. Beautifully acted. I want my own Eric to take home to mum.
½ December 29, 2011
Edge of Seventeen is a heart-felt film that deals honestly with the "coming-out" process that millions of teens have had to bear through the years. A shining example of how to emphatically deal with gay/lesbian issues without cheapening them the way other gay dramas have done before.
½ September 25, 2011
This movie perfectly captured a more realistic coming out story. Unlike most gay dramas, were everything turns out perfect in the end, you see the truth behind what some people have to go through when coming out. Although the ending was abrupt and leaving questions unanswered, it was still an overall great movie.
September 23, 2011
Aside from it's abrupt ending and the stupid (yet natural) mistakes the protagonists have made, there isn't a lot of problem with this honest coming of age film. Honestly, I even feel bad for them.
July 8, 2011
Ohio teen flies out of the closet.
June 5, 2011
Want to see it again.
April 1, 2011
Again, the synopsis reflects my life.
March 12, 2011
Unusual in that it doesn't get bogged down with AIDs or coming out or abuse...which is partly why I like it better than most other gay films.
½ February 11, 2011
This about a 17 yr old having his first date with a boy.
½ December 19, 2010
Finally saw this and was glad I did. Talk about memory lane!!! Yes it's a "coming out" movie but I think more than that, they got the 80s down pat!