Edison, the Man Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made!

The best inspiring movie ever made!

• Jan 30, 2016

A solid follow-up to Young Tom Edison, although I still prefer the first movie. Spencer Tracy takes on the role of the Wizard of Menlo Park, and he does a fine job. It's an inspirational film dedicated to one of the greatest American inventors of all time. (First and only viewing - 3/2/2016)

• Sep 25, 2015

Starts with him as an old man being honored and interviewed. The film comprises of a flashback that shows what led to him lighting up New York City with electricity. Edison reveals in an interview that he does not cary a watch. I found that interesting as well. This film covers the struggles Edison faced to invent the lightbulb and up to lighting up New York City and some of the other inventions that came through his associate workers such as recording sound. What I did not know before this film was that Edison's first invention was not the lightbulb or that so many doubted Edison's ability to make the lightbulb before he found a way to make it work for long periods of time. I did not know that he tried making the lightbulb at first without something to confine it. I also did not realize what helped sustain the lights energy was a lack of oxygen and more of vacuum or another gas prior to see this film. I always thought it was just to protect anyone from getting shocked by electricity be accident. At the end Edison as an older man gives a speech where he has concerns over Has science gone too far to construct mans own destruction balance. Is it Man's own destiny. Could man have constructed it's own destruction by the technological innovations it has come by? I found it kind of ironic that the end of the film would end with questioning his or human inventions to think such a good thing was so bad.

• Mar 16, 2014

Edison, the Man is an amazing film. It is about 82 year old inventor and entrepreneur Thomas Alva Edison who is honored in 1929 and he reflects back on his sixty year career of scientific achievement. Spencer Tracy and Rita Johnson give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Clarence Brown did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Edison, the Man is a must see.

• Jul 26, 2012

Such a great film about one of the smartest men who ever lived.

Such a great film about one of the smartest men who ever lived.

• Jul 21, 2012

tracy is great in this A pic bio-pic

tracy is great in this A pic bio-pic

• Jul 18, 2012

An interesting well made very in accurate portrayal of one of history's greatest inventors Thomas Edison. This film shows him in a highly glorified light & although a talented man this film failed to show the strongholds he put up to keep his patents. Spencer Tracey was fantastic as Tom Edison & although its a little bias on its own it is an interesting film. It goes in detail the battle physically & mentally that Edison went through to create the light bulb. A classic Hollywood Biopic that is well worth a watch.

• Jul 05, 2011

Inspirational in that he had to try try again before he got it right.He never gave up, a lesson we can all afford to learn during these hard times.

• Oct 18, 2009

Very "Hollywoodized" biography of Thomas Edison, a follow up to "Young Tom Edison". Spencer Tracy is, as always, great. He is one of those few actors who gives a fine performance, no matter what material he has to work with. This film entertains and is very worth watching.

• Sep 02, 2008

ah tcm...how i love thee. always bringing me such great actors and films. cukor always makes such great films. i really enjoyed this film...and spencer tracy...that man was unstopable.