The Education of Little Tree - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Education of Little Tree Reviews

March 1, 2016
One of my favorites that rests in my video library to share when i can.
October 30, 2013
Way too real. parents grew up in this environment... made grandpa cry because his life was like Little Tree's.
January 13, 2013
Soul searching, manhood , cultural & inspiring.
December 19, 2012
Wants to be more profound than it is.
May 28, 2012
What could have been a good movie has the worst examples of bad Southern dialect I've seen in a long time.
March 15, 2012
This film is enjoyable family fare, and offers an educational look at a young Native American boy growing up in the 1930s. I enjoyed the leisurely pace of the film, and the beautiful cinematography which captures the lushness of the Smokies. Joseph Ashton's endearing performance as Little Tree drew me in, as did the performances of James Cromwell and Tantoo Cardinal, who portray his grandparents. There are many touching moments in the film, and unexpected laughs as well.
January 6, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. You will find yourself engrossed in this heartwarming tale of a orphaned child who goes to live with his grandparents.
June 14, 2011
Long and boring movie.
January 4, 2011
As a descendant of the Cherokee myself, I had more than a passing interest in this movie. In the movie, when the Cherokee man tells Little Tree about the Trail of Tears, he told the story with such passion that I was in tears myself. This is a great movie that deserves to be seen. Joseph Ashton is perfect in the role of Little Tree.
½ July 4, 2010
Jarang sekali film yang mengangkat tema tentang orang Indian, bahkan hampir tidak ada lagi yang pernah saya tonton seingat yang saya bisa. Film ini lebih seperti film keluarga yang mengangkat nilai-nilai yang dipahami orang Indian dengan perspektif anak kecil. Seperti The Boy in Stripped Pyjamas, si Little Tree akan dibingungkan dengan 'perbedaan-perbedaan' antara orang kulit putih dan Indian. Yang berkesan dalam film ini adalah bagaimana usaha pemerintah 'meng-orang kulit putih-kan' Little Tree. Sebagai film keluarga, jangan harapkan konflik yang kelam, serius, atau tragis. Bagaimana orang Indian menjunjung tinggi alam dan keluargalah yang akan anda dapatkan.
May 2, 2010
Earnest but evocative, and in moments touching, chronicle of the turbulent childhood of a Cherokee orphan during the Depression. Yet, the film spends too much time around the moonshine still and hypocritical local church at the cost of other, more interesting lessons.
½ January 23, 2010
A realistic movie that has some good performances and the beautiful backdrop of Tennessee's Blue Ridge Mountains.
½ October 23, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
July 4, 2009
It's a good family movie.
March 18, 2009
An orphaned boy in 1935 goes to live in the hills of Tennessee with his grandfather and native American grandmother. There he is educated on his Cherokee heritage as well as on the importance of family roots. This is a beautiful film and one that offers great performances as well as a touching story. Not for very young children, but fine for family viewing for chidren 10-12 and up. A memorable film.
February 7, 2009
Beautiful Canadian made movie about American history. Cinematography is excellent. Story is great. With the recent TVA disasters, it really makes you mad at how we treated mountain people, white and Indian, and how we are now treating our mountains and streams. A very touching film that should have received more recognition. I can't believe this was made over a decade ago and I've never heard about it.
February 5, 2009
Lovely family film. Very touching.
But be aware that the author of the book it is based on is surrounded by controversy, and the book itself, though touching, is simplistic and full of stereotypes.
Still, as a family movie, the film it is a lovely one.
½ December 29, 2008
I liked this movie once upon a time, but upon second viewing, years later, I realized something--the film is overtly racist against whites. Case and point: The grandfather says to the boy early in the film: "Only the white man takes what he wants." White men have many wrongs to answer for, but so does every other people group.
½ November 23, 2008
Simple, genuine, sweet, and moving story. Solid performances by young Joseph Ashton, James Cromwell, and Graham Greene. Beautifully shot and scored. A very pleasant surprise.
November 15, 2008
a sweet and poignant movie