The Efficiency Expert Reviews

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 17, 2015

Anthony Hopkins is the titular character, hired to straighten the kinks in an industrial town mainstay going under down under. At the same time his own marriage is going south as well. Can he turn the shoe factory around, save the jobs of the curiously eccentric locals who depend on the economy the plant provides and keep his self-esteem intact? And what about those locals, eh, what breed of animal are they? The answers to these questions are what make this particular clock tick and its in viewing the working of it that pleasure is gained. Toni Collette, Russell Crowe and Ben Mendelsohn, name stars now, all contribute freshman efforts here, which is one reason to see this, but the overall redemptive tone of the work is satisfactory all on its own.

• Mar 28, 2014

The Efficiency Expert is a decent film. It is about an expert on productivity shows wacky workers in 1966 Australia how to run their moccasin factory like clockwork. Anthony Hopkins and Ben Mendelsohn give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. Mark Joffe did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.

• Melvin W Super Reviewer
    Feb 21, 2014

"An everyday story about loyalty, betrayal, lust and footwear." The Efficiency Expert is an extremely lame movie on most levels. It has a few things going for it, like Anthony Hopkins who is really good and Russell Crowe in a very early and small role. It's easy to see why I had never heard of this film before. It's pretty unlikable. The characters outside of Hopkins' are terrible, the story is a mess, and it's all rather dull, weird and for long periods, extremely boring. The only thing that keeps it going is Hopkins. Errol Wallace is an efficiency expert who goes into businesses that are failing and figures out what they need to do to start making money again. Most the time, that means downsizing. The main story is Wallace going to a Moccasin factory, where the owner is very loyal to his employees. Then there's little love stories going on and a side story with Wallace and his partner getting backlash for firings at another factory. The Efficiency Expert isn't worth the short hour and twenty nine minute runtime, unless you're like me and just want to see everything Anthony Hopkins has ever done. If you're not a completist, then this is definitely one to skip.

• Mar 28, 2013

Nice Aussie flick. Dennis Schwartz criticized it for being like the Ealing Studio Brit flicks of the 40s and 50s, but in my opinion that's a compliment. Like this movie, they were quiet, warm little pics about human values--goodness, helping your fellow man and the humor in living--feel good movies that were truly entertaining, and that's what films are supposed to do for us. Seeing very young stars Russell Crowe and Toni Collette was icing on the cake. And Anthony Hopkins is always worth seeing.

• Oct 11, 2012

Perhaps I am overrating this by a wee bit, but I was immediately won over by the movie's labour-conscious plot and, of course, Mr Hopkins, delivering yet another delightfully-subdued performance. One of the greatest complaints any movie can have is that it isn't long enough--I wanted to see so much more, even if the story is tied up quite nicely in a bow.

• Jul 13, 2012

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] An enjoyable film with a strong cast.

• Jan 12, 2012

Unheard of yet with Anthony hopkins and Russell Crowe (birthday present) and actually half decent

• Dec 11, 2011

full of clichà (C)s. Hopkins looks bored, Crowe's arrogance steals the show in his small role.

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Nov 06, 2011

Pretty lame for a film that had some top notch familiar faces in their earlier careers. Such a waste...but I guess that they had to start somewhere.

• Sep 09, 2011