The Egyptian Reviews

• Oct 03, 2018

saw this film on youtube. what a great film. quo vadis, the egyption, ben hur, ten commandments... these are all good films. i wonder why THIS film did not get all the credits which it rightly deserved.

• Jan 27, 2016

There are worse things than marriage. Sinuhe was an orphaned boy that was fortunate enough to receive an education and ultimately becomes the pharaoh's primary physician. It happens to be the pharaoh was Sinuhe's best friend growing up. They encounter numerous situations in working together, one that even may lead to the demise of the pharaoh. Best friends rule Egypt the best they can. "Soon the vultures and the jackals will make a poor meal of what is left of me." Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, The Breaking Point, Bright Leaf, and Dodge City, delivers The Egyptian. The storyline for this was a bit stale at times but contains fascinating scenarios and characters. The acting is fairly solid and the cast includes Jean Simmons, Gene Tierney, Victor Mature, John Carradine, Michael Wilding, and Henry Daniell. "Observe the mercy and wisdom of my master." I recently came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it since Michael Curtiz is one of my all time favorite directors. This may have been my least favorite project of his. It was still good in that I loved the characters, and some of the sub plots were well done, but the overall film was a bit more slow than I had hoped. Overall, I only recommend this to fans of the classics. "In the end, the sand conquers all." Grade: C+

• Nov 23, 2015

It is unique that this story is told from a doctors perspective in the fact that a doctor tends to interact with all sorts of kind of life. Therefore all aspects of life are seen in this film. It covers themes such as Egyptian religion, love, deception, greed, power, poverty, The physician is stupid in this film for handing over all his valuable possessions eventually even his own fathers land to a Babylon women who promises nothing and is greedy. It also presents different occupations within Egypt and ancient world such as slaves, servants, princes, Pharos, physicians, military leaders, those who barry the dead, cheese makers and more. This story presents rags from riches stories and back again. Disgusting things such as medical problems concerning Operations or fight scenes in this film are often presented not in detail but are suggested through shadows and sound effects, seen from the distance, or hidden behind objects. Land of Hittites with iron weapons that prove stronger than Egyptians cooper weapons. Mary had been in love with the physician resist her love till 3/4 of the film through. Mary is shot by the military by arrow for standing up for her Egyptain Gods. This films costumes, lighting, sets, and rich colors are all amazing. The cheese maker turns to work for the army after saving Pharaoh disguised as an ordinary bystander praying to the Egyptian sun god Ra from attacking lion, eventually promoted to head of the Egyptian military. Poisoned Pharaoh to become Pharaoh himself. He goes from best friend to physician, betrays his lover, and whiling to commit treason to preserve Egypt. The physician is told that he is the half brother to the pharaoh. He was left in a baby basket floated down the Nile River and adopted by a poor family. The servant to the doctor eventually bribes the soldiers with everything not to be killed. The Egyptian military kills all those who believe in the Egyptian Gods for they believe they are responsible for tough times. The problem I had with the film was how long the film is. It is like 2 hours and 30 minutes long. It could have been split up into two films rather than one long movie. The Pharaoh is purposely poisoned by drink to avoid a slow and painful death. The military leader is to become new Pharaoh. Only the sand will survive. The film is told from the Physician sent into excel.

• Apr 30, 2014

The Egyptian is a decent film. It is about Sinuhe who becomes a brilliant physician and with his friend Horemheb is appointed to the service of the new Pharaoh. Victor Mature and Jean Simmons give good performances. The screenplay is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Michael Curtiz did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.

• Apr 02, 2014

Not a patch on the novel, while also being irritating and too long. There should have been far more Peter Ustinov, too.

• Mar 01, 2014

good sprawling historical sword n sandal pic from the director of 'casablanca".

good sprawling historical sword n sandal pic from the director of 'casablanca".

• Nov 03, 2013

Critics didn't like it, but I liked it. Sinuhe starts out so full of hope, and gradually he realises he must be wise in order to live in his world. And the music was great.

• Mar 05, 2013

The conundrum with this film is that I cannot really say anything against it, but at the same time I cannot really praise anything in it either. Not often do I see a film that fits the description of average this well. Or perhaps I have misspoken. There are things in this film that I think have been done well, and there are things that I think could have been done better. But none of the film's flaws are that meaningful, but neither are its strengths. That being said, do I think that the film is worth watching? Well, yes. There are better film, there are even better films about Ancient Egypt, but it's still rare to see a film such as this that seems to capture the feel of that particular era so well. The stage settings and the costumes of course have that mid-century Hollywood feel to them, but the time of the pharaohs has still been replicated beautifully in this film. I also liked the plot, which deals with many differing subjects such as poverty, class systems, the meaning of religion, war versus peace, yet manages to tell an interesting, if a bit rambling story and not drown us in characters. On the other hand the actual characters we get aren't anything special. They're not bad, and their actors aren't either, but I still couldn't form any meaningful connection with them. Some were better than the others, such as Nefer (Bella Darvi), a seductive rich woman, or Kaptah (Peter Ustinov), the servant of the main character, while some were worse, but as a whole I've seen these archetypes done way better. And that's this movie. Nothing special, but still worth watching if you have the time and you like the genre.

• Nov 17, 2012

An Ancient Saga as Wide as the CinemaScope Screen--A Superb, interesting, and well acted Movie!!

• May 13, 2012

One of my favorite old school movies with one of my favorite quotes of all time: I, Sinuhe the Egyptian, write this. In my place of exile on the shores of the Red Sea. There is no more desolate spot on earth. Soon the jackals and the vultures will make a poor meal of what is left of me. No monument will mark my resting place. I will leave only this, the story of my life. I have lived fully and deeply. I have tasted passion, crime and even murder. It is for you to judge me. You must weigh the good against the evil, the passion against the tenderness, the crime against the charity, the pleasure against the pain. For I began life as I am ending it, alone.