Eight Men Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eight Men Out Reviews

½ October 19, 2016
Despite some historical inaccuracies and moments of corniness, it remains one of the better sports movies out there. The danger with sports movies is that non fans may get bored with the subject matter easily.
½ May 8, 2016
Baseball fans will enjoy this more than non-baseball fans, but it's still a good all-around film. The rag time soundtrack is one of my favorites.
½ April 24, 2016
The music and the sets carry this truthful tale of how the Black Sox threw the 1919 World Series.
February 8, 2016
I think this film is more orientated to Baseball/sport fans, so maybe if you are not very much into it you might want to pass on it, if you are not a "sports person" you'll probabbly get bored. Nevertheless, altough it does drags a bit, especially in the final act, it does has an impressive cast and strong performances, also the real life story is pretty interesting and it is a tale well told. Since i am a baseball fan i definitively enjoyed this a lot, so i'm giving it 4/5.
½ March 3, 2015
3/2/2015: an ok movie. A great cast and a very interesting story, but it wasn't put together well. I would love to see this story redone.
½ November 8, 2014
Pretty good movi with a great cast!
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ August 2, 2014
Overall, Eight Men Out is a solid little flick. The acting is good and the direction is swell, though neither are extraordinary and are relatively straight forward. The story is also extremely interesting, especially as a baseball fan. The beginning is a little hectic and could have been handled better, but once it settles in, it really manages to be quite gripping and intriguing, even though I knew the outcome. The film is nothing extraordinary, but as a baseball movie, this one is certainly quite good and entertaining.
½ July 24, 2014
Not the best baseball film out there, but still a very good one.
Had not seen it since the late 80's.
July 1, 2014
One of my favorite baseball movies. So glad on Netflix this month!
½ June 26, 2014
One of the best baseball movies of all time.
June 7, 2014
Best sports movie I've ever seen. They perfectly describe the action of the 1919 thrown World Series, and not only that but have some of the most realistic acting performances I have ever seen. Even if I knew nothing about the aforementioned World Series, it would all be clear through such a great movie like Eight Men Out.
April 5, 2014
Good sports film. John Sayles directs this tale of the fixing of the 1919 World Series.
½ February 2, 2014
Makes you wonder if this could happen today. Players loathing cheap owners, throwing games, etc.
January 20, 2014
Good sports movie with a great cast and realistic 1919 setting that unfortunately suffers from too many moving pieces, convoluting what is otherwise a simplistic morality tale with true-story credibility.
September 22, 2013
Not up to the very high standards John Sayles usually meets. A routine and straight-forward historical drama lacking the bite and insight of his more powerful works. Good performances and production design, but unfortunately lacking depth.
September 5, 2013
great movie w/plenty of stars in the movie!!!
August 9, 2013
Mediocre movie at best just because the baseball is so bad. But it does tell the story of a very important historical event in America's past time.

Cusack as a ball player!? Forget about it! I'm just not convinced. Charlie Sheen either. That is a major strike against the movie. Also a strike is the way the players act on the field. For one, it's just non-stop chatter. Maybe it was that way in 1919. I suspect it was not. It's definitely not that way today once you get past the first grade. But the bigger flaw is how the players let the viewer know they're about to make an intentional error. The writers need a former great in the press box to highlight potential fixed plays. But the viewer gets treated like a four-year-old. Watch this! the players say to one another with a glimpse and nod, etc. I doubt they ever did that and was there no check on the errors. Did they have to blow every play? Just kinda silly. Of course it wouldn't have gone down that way.

But the neat thing is the history. Did Shoeless Joe really take money? The league decided he did and he never played again. Same with Buck Weaver (Cusack). He had the series of his career, but he too was banned for betting on the games. The movie does not portray it that way at all and I only learned of Weaver's suspension when watching the Ken Burns documentary.

Anyway, now Field of Dreams makes a little more sense. But this is a pretty fluffy movie about a topic that's not very fluffy.
June 27, 2013
One of the best baseball movies ever...
June 26, 2013
As someone who did plenty of school reports on the 1919 Chicago Black Sox Scandal, Eight Men Out (based on the book by the same name) is historically accurate and is a must see for any baseball fan. Although it might not be ideal for someone who doesn't like baseball, or sports for that matter, the story is engaging, fresh, and intriguing for it being a true story. With famous actors such as John Cusack, Charlie Sheen, D. B. Sweeney, David Strathairn, Christopher Lloyd and John Mahoney, what would be looked at as a near documentary can be watched easier as a featured film. The acting is done well, the time period is constructed nicely and the fact that it is about a conspiracy just adds another layer that doesn't make you yawn. Be prepared however because there are A LOT of names, characters and ball players in this movie, so it will call for careful attention to keep everything straight. I know plenty of people have never heard of the Black Sox, and neither had I until my uncle gave me the book as a young teenager. I have always enjoyed watching this film and anyone who enjoys the history of baseball should see this.

8/10 Stars - Sure it's not a blockbuster, but it's well made, true, and about a conspiracy in baseball history that I spent my youth researching.