Eight Men Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eight Men Out Reviews

½ June 27, 2017
The story is interesting and the cast is good...but the direction and pacing are mind-numbingly terrible. Most people seemed to like it, but I just think there are better baseball movies than this one. This story should have been better given the history of it.
½ June 10, 2017
The Chicago White Sox, who are set to play the Cincinnati Reds in the World Series of 1919, are at odds with their team's owner, Charles Comiskey (Clifton James), who pays his players unsatisfactory wages despite the team's popularity. A group of professional gamblers offers the Sox's best athletes a fortune to throw the series, and the players agree. However, their reputations and careers are ruined when the dark secret, dubbed the "Black Sox Scandal," reaches the public consciousness.
April 24, 2017
This movie was alright. The Black Sox Scandal was the worst thing that ever happened in the history of baseball!
½ October 19, 2016
Despite some historical inaccuracies and moments of corniness, it remains one of the better sports movies out there. The danger with sports movies is that non fans may get bored with the subject matter easily.
½ May 8, 2016
Baseball fans will enjoy this more than non-baseball fans, but it's still a good all-around film. The rag time soundtrack is one of my favorites.
½ April 24, 2016
The music and the sets carry this truthful tale of how the Black Sox threw the 1919 World Series.
February 8, 2016
I think this film is more orientated to Baseball/sport fans, so maybe if you are not very much into it you might want to pass on it, if you are not a "sports person" you'll probabbly get bored. Nevertheless, altough it does drags a bit, especially in the final act, it does has an impressive cast and strong performances, also the real life story is pretty interesting and it is a tale well told. Since i am a baseball fan i definitively enjoyed this a lot, so i'm giving it 4/5.
½ March 3, 2015
3/2/2015: an ok movie. A great cast and a very interesting story, but it wasn't put together well. I would love to see this story redone.
½ November 8, 2014
Pretty good movi with a great cast!
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ August 2, 2014
Overall, Eight Men Out is a solid little flick. The acting is good and the direction is swell, though neither are extraordinary and are relatively straight forward. The story is also extremely interesting, especially as a baseball fan. The beginning is a little hectic and could have been handled better, but once it settles in, it really manages to be quite gripping and intriguing, even though I knew the outcome. The film is nothing extraordinary, but as a baseball movie, this one is certainly quite good and entertaining.
½ July 24, 2014
Not the best baseball film out there, but still a very good one.
Had not seen it since the late 80's.
July 1, 2014
One of my favorite baseball movies. So glad on Netflix this month!
½ June 26, 2014
One of the best baseball movies of all time.
June 7, 2014
Best sports movie I've ever seen. They perfectly describe the action of the 1919 thrown World Series, and not only that but have some of the most realistic acting performances I have ever seen. Even if I knew nothing about the aforementioned World Series, it would all be clear through such a great movie like Eight Men Out.
April 5, 2014
Good sports film. John Sayles directs this tale of the fixing of the 1919 World Series.
½ February 2, 2014
Makes you wonder if this could happen today. Players loathing cheap owners, throwing games, etc.
January 20, 2014
Good sports movie with a great cast and realistic 1919 setting that unfortunately suffers from too many moving pieces, convoluting what is otherwise a simplistic morality tale with true-story credibility.
September 22, 2013
Not up to the very high standards John Sayles usually meets. A routine and straight-forward historical drama lacking the bite and insight of his more powerful works. Good performances and production design, but unfortunately lacking depth.