The Eighth Day (Le Huitième Jour) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eighth Day (Le Huitième Jour) Reviews

January 1, 2011
Con el perdon de quien me la recomendo y los amantes del cine europeo (en este caso belga-frances) que pelicula mas aburrida. La termine viendo en velocidad x2 porque no aguante lo desesperante de la trama, con escenas largas y repetitivas.

Un joven con sindrome Down (Georges) y otro que vive una vida artificial de positivismo y el triunfo, cuando en el aspecto personal es un fracasado (Harry). Al final Georges da a Harry una muestra de las cosas importantes de la vida (como toda pelicula... aburrime).

El inicio comienza como ya he visto otras peliculas... con escenas rapidas narrando cosas pequenas que no nos fijamos, pero de ahi el guion cae... me cae mal el hecho de aguantar a alguien testarudo y desesperante (con o sin sindrome Down, cuando no todos son asi). En cuanto a la produccion, pues como toda pelicula europea es de calidad, sin contar con recursos "artificales" creados en computadora, si no mas bien una direccion de arte que logra sacar lo mejor de la pelicula.

En fin, ABURRIDA... para verla y decir "Si, la vi" esta bien... pero seguro no la recomiendo...
December 1, 2010
it´s just an incredible history, absolutely is one of my favorites movies, & i really love the music, ... -Luis Mariano-
"Yo tuve un ruiseñor que llego a suspirar para que quiero amor si nadie me va amar..."
August 25, 2010
nominated for best foreign film at the golden globes
ElCochran90
½ May 20, 2010
France's response to Rain Man is a forced and manipulative "feel-good" soap opera. Yeah, I support people with Down syndrome but this forced drama is developed in unecessary areas. The concept of "intertwined destinies" does not work and we are left with a sour taste in the mouth. The more you think about it in the future after seeing it, the more boring it will seem to you. We already have Hollywood for this mediocre efforts.

54/100
½ April 27, 2010
This film takes inner beauty and the strength of narration to another level. The relationship of Harry and Georges is at all times complicated yet powerful and realistic. Both characters are so similar but their individual dispositions are so different that we donâ??t really see the similarities until the end. Georges is portrayed as a competent individual that is still just as emotionally damaged and abandoned as Harry has been by his family. The longer the movie goes on, the more we realize how much Georges really comprehends his situation and how his subtle quirks echo the true emotions buried within him. At times heartwarming, at other times very comedic, it is, always, a brilliant movie with raw characters that you unknowingly invest much of your hopes and feelings on. The ending is very subtly foreshadowed and remains the best example on how well thought out this movie was in terms on how it wanted to present itself. It handles emotional scenes with a weight and sensibility that is rarely found in a perfect mixture, but does so continuously throughout the film. The characters are all at once troubled yet charming, secretly idealistic, and empathic to other people. The theme of loneliness is dealt with calmly as it slowly and naturally seeps forward from the plot and character interaction. Few movies are as humbling as The Eighth Day, or have such an obvious emotional impact.
½ March 3, 2010
this movie is very touching.
January 22, 2010
This is a fantastic movie, and by far my favorite Belgian movie. It has many laugh and weep moments, and the story is in a way EPIC believe me or not.
ScoopOnline
December 22, 2009
Very touching Movie. Tissue required to watch this Movie.
½ October 21, 2009
So you'll expect what's going to happen and sometimes it seems too much but all of the things that can be precieved as negative are outwieghed by the immense project that was undertaken. The character of Georges is perfectly acted and the legend Auteuil is forgiven for being the hated Uglion in Jean de Flourette and Manon du Source. It will make you laugh and cry and will leave you feeling grateful that the character of Georges was ever concieved.
October 3, 2009
Great actors .. both of them actually were magnificent ... a wild director who really fascinated me visually ... but the film had a really slow rhythm for such a simple topic... which really bugged me and yea lots of cliches .. however Its a must see film ... at least once.
August 16, 2009
A movie that touches my heart. A good picture is worth all the words. This film has the most poetic scene ever dreamed of about people with Down's syndrome. And I won't spoil it by telling you. You'll want to see it yourself.
June 28, 2009
Bittersweet, yet fantastic. Great directing & leading performance by Pascal Duquenne with Down's Syndrome.
May 13, 2009
how can all the actors be all the directors of a film?
April 10, 2009
My baby, my daughter
April 2, 2009
Good one, a lot of drama, its a movie with a mix of emotions found when you meet a different person who changes your life and you change his!
about an unexpected and funny friendship
½ February 13, 2009
Maigcal! phenomenal! A veRRRy good movie. Y'know, good subject. Good story. true life...don't forget the eeenddd..
January 31, 2009
Awesome! Jaco van Dormael is a magician, this movie is pure magic. A very touching film with great performances, breath taking landscapes and brilliant cinematography. Strongly recommended to everyone...
January 22, 2009
i was expecting more from this one....
January 12, 2009
Un des rares films qui m'a marqué au point de régulièrement vouloir le revoir... Juste une simple histoire...
November 18, 2008
One of the best movies I've ever watched!!!