Eyes Wide Open (Einaym Pkuhot) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eyes Wide Open (Einaym Pkuhot) Reviews

June 20, 2017
A profoundly sullen and pensive dramatisation of the hypocrisy of hegemonic masculinity and its frailty in a strictly Orthodox Jewish community.
November 28, 2016
A simple, powerful and intense Israeli drama about desire versus religious faith in Jerusalem, presenting an extremely engaging forbidden love story between two orthodox Jewish men whose profound feelings for each other grow incredibly real.
November 9, 2014
This films says a lot when it says nothing at all.
September 7, 2014
Historia con profundo sentido. Un dialogo entre la naturaleza humana, el amor y el fundamentalismo religioso que aún existe en este siglo.
½ March 8, 2014
A powerful film about how the society can kill an individual. It's about unacceptable love in a strictly religious community without a happy ending. What made it especially interesting was Israel and the traditions and rituals. I'm not saying I understood everything, but it was a pleasure to watch it, culturally speaking as well.
November 27, 2013
La version Judia de Broke Back Mountain. Una increible historia, la prueba del amor en contra de la religion y las costumbres milenaria. Atrevida y rompedora.
June 18, 2013
fantastic, beautifully shot, and magnificently underplayed story of homosexual love in Jerusalem. Aaron is living a entirely repressed life of duty, duty to God, duty to community, duty to family when he takes in a student and they fall hopelessly in love. At first Aaron says "well,we'll just overcome it" as god has given him the test, but his resolve soon slips and the attraction turns physical. the lack of dialogue in the film is never noticeable as the scenes are so well painted with Jewish life, Jewish customs and the horribly depressing day to day sights of the Jerusalem corner they are living in. when the dialogue does come it's never unimportant and the crescendo for me, and where I broke down was when Aaron snaps and shouts at the Rabbi, "I was DEAD before I met him!" which really sums it up--and of course (being a writer of gay romance and fiction set in historical times) I knew it was all going to end badly, and I'm afraid it does. anyone with an interest in gay themes should watch this--and then again, everyone should watch it because it's masterful.
April 23, 2013
Honest, sincere and well-acted.
March 29, 2013
Very good flick... loved how main character thought out all his decisions... and music was great also!
½ January 21, 2013
Eyes Wide Open is my official introduction to Israeli cinema and I must say it's a weak start. While the film which is a directorial debut is well organized, it's to pessimistic. I felt like I was a watching a holocaust movie for Gods sake. The opening scene showed two depressing men in a gloomy raining setting, the whole film continued like that. It was a drama queen, and not a particularly entertaining one. As a drama it tried to hard to make the audience depressed, and based on the critical reception it worked, I didn't suck into it though.
December 22, 2012
ok, bit long winded.
½ December 1, 2012
La sociedad es algo que condiciona la forma de amar y a quienes amamos, una película que nos permite adentrarnos en las formas de amar de la comunidad judía ortodoxa
August 30, 2012
intriguing watch. not forgetting revealing too, in more ways than one.
July 14, 2012
Don't watch it if you're feeling a little blue...
July 9, 2012
Una historia fuerte, muy bien actuada, muy creíble.
Que difícil que puede llegar a ser la vida.
Cuantos condicionamientos que nos son autoimpuestos.
Mucho amor y drama.
Muy recomendable para ver otra cultura, para entender la vida de los religiosos ortodoxos.
½ July 7, 2012
Great story and character development
July 5, 2012
Don't understand why people think this is a good movie. It is interesting from the point of view of exploring life in an Orthodox community, but its take on gay married men and their conflicts is about 20 years out of date. While people like that assuredly exist, the tortured gay married man is nothing new or groundbreaking. The rabbi was the most interesting and nuanced. And the ending was such a cliche that it could have been found in a TV soap opera.
April 30, 2012
The plot description seemed really gimmicky to me when I read it. I was wrong, a very powerful and engaging film. Depressing though.
April 21, 2012
I always knew how strictly homosexuality was treated in Orthodox Jewish communities, but boy, this is not what I imagined. Ostracism and community bias and beliefs like "homosexuality is a curse and it endangers our children." Beliefs that have you shaking your head in anger.And here you have this movie that boldly portrays that nothing can get in the way of love - the more you try to stop it, the more intense it becomes. The theme of the movie truly swept me off my feet and I didn't notice things like performances and direction and script. It all felt so real and that's what I'm taking from this movie. It's fearless and it has an impact factor. I personally think that homosexuality and religion can never walk side-to-side unbiased, and this movie shows just why. My favorite movie of 2010 so far. No budgets, no fuss, no big names. And that's where the beauty of real cinema lies.
April 6, 2012
Fantastic film along the lines of Brokeback Mountain. Religion sucks sometimes.