Eklavya - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eklavya Reviews

July 5, 2008
Would have been a wonderful movie, but it got really bizarre about fifteen minutes before the end.

Also, Raima Sen can't act for beans.
And I don't know when Saif Ali Khan learned, but good for him.
(I bet Vidya Balan had something to do with it).
½ June 29, 2008
the worst movie ever seen by me!!!
June 28, 2008
Okay, so you're thinking "OMG! Bollywood is all song and dance and fluff, right?" WRONG! Well, almost wrong. Sure 80% percent of it is song, dance, and fluff; but who doesn't enjoy a little fluff? However, this movie was anything but fluff. It's a strong plot, in a beautiful setting, has awesome cinematography, and is Bollywood at its best! If you are interested in foreign films, bollywood films, or in seing a brill movie, then see this one. It's a great story on traditions, customs, and what happens when people let those rules dictate their lives. Great movie, five stars.
June 17, 2008
Eklavya is an example of a movie that suffers because of wrong marketing. The promos and synopses emphasize on the "unveiling of secrets" -- i.e. a high-voltage suspense --, but the audience guesses the secret in about the first fifteen minutes of the movie. Eklavya is an intense drama -- a slow simmering fire of repressed emotions.
The underlying theme of duty vs free will, of tradition vs reason, is masterfully crafted by the director in the crumbling aristocracy, the (mis)understanding of faith, the class divisions. While it is clear which side the director intends to be on, we weren't badgered with preachy messages. Perhaps it is because the actual story takes background to the character interactions, to the somewhat parable-like metaphors running around the movie.
The characters, as complex as their natures, were really breathed to life by the amazing performances. Amitabh Bachchan, Saif Ali Khan, Sanjay Dutt, Jimmy Shergill and Boman Irani, all made it truly worth your while.
The sets were made of awesome. But surpassing that was the cinematography. The "train" sequences, or the scene where Eklavya comes to kill Uday were such artpieces.
I LOVED the fact that there weren't any unnecessary song-and-dance routine in the movie. Despite that, the score by Shantanu Moitra, heard mainly in the background, is superb. It can give many of the hollywood OSTs a run for their money.
I thought what ruined the entire movie was its typical cheesy Bollywood ending. The confrontation scene between Eklavya and Harsh lacked the necessary strength and conviction to make us understand Eklavya's decision.After detailing the characters and their internal conflicts so well, I felt like VVC just wanted to rush into a happy ending.
May 27, 2008
beautiful cinematography, beautiful scenery. great cast but i expected more out of it
May 26, 2008
This film was beautifully filmed, well acted, and well worth the time to view. It was thought provoking and just beautiful.
½ May 21, 2008
Slow and boring for the most part. The twist and the very end are neat.
May 19, 2008
A subtle exhibition of suppressed emotions that eventually lead to an outburst. Tear jerking expressions and soul stirring music..... a must watch
½ May 13, 2008
Must for every cinegoer.
May 4, 2008
big let down. i was so bored.
½ March 29, 2008
wow...i thought it'd be boring but it's awesum - like modern and history mixed...SAIF IS SOOOOOOOO SWEET!
March 13, 2008
Good movie, but shouldn't have been done into oscars
½ March 3, 2008
i love the music and the delicate rythem of feelings and emotions. Amitabh is an actor above all expectations. The story is a little confusing at the beginning, but at the end everything makes sence.
½ February 29, 2008
Bullshit movie. I quit watching after 15 min.
January 28, 2008
One of the best from bollywood. Ever.
January 21, 2008
I really wasn't expecting this, it's quiet unconventional for a mainstream bollywood movie. No songs! Predictable in some places, but was surprised by the ending as I thought I had figured the plot out. Beautiful cinematography and good all round performances.
December 19, 2007
slick plot, different than american movies. dig it.
December 19, 2007
Fabulous! Full of suspense, action, family secrets, devotion & loyalty, with the bitter sweetness of love set in a historical setting. Depicting a Hindu religious epic.
November 14, 2007
epic. excellent story-telling, vibrant colors, and a haunting soundtrack. a definite departure from the american blockbuster. hindi with english subtitles.
November 11, 2007
perfect visuals.... too much cinematography..... excellent acting.... breathtaking action scene with 500 camels and a moving train.... an ok story..... a real must watch....