El Mar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Mar Reviews

January 23, 2016
A little too deppressing, but also very engaging, it really is a study of how the trauma of the civil war in Majorca, where neighbours in opposing sides killed each other, fatally traumatizes a group of children, so that years later, and despite varios effort to esacape - via religion, criminality and sex - they end up re-enacting the violence. It captures the oppressive conditions in post-war Francoist society, with a very good sense of the local atmosphere when Majorca was still very rural and isolated (unfortunately I only saw the dubbed version in Spanish, rather than the original Catalan, and this took away much of the film's authenticity). It is good to shake some tabus (the way the war divided people, reppressed homosexuality...) but, in my view, it need not have ended up with so much blood.
October 6, 2012
A violent & disturbing love story to say the least.
January 4, 2012
Apparently this film caused quite a stir. Can't imagine why.
½ July 7, 2011
Well, I thought the film was in Spanish at first, and I kept on thinking I was going crazy until I realized the Catalonians were doing their thing again and tricking me (Joder!). I finally input subtitles, and I didn't want to go back since I was lazy, so this reviewer has the beginning of this movie understood sort of blurry...

Agusti Villaronga's other film Tras el Cristal was highly controversial, dark, harrowing - basically my taste - so I thought I'd give this a go, and who wouldn't given the awesome cover? However, I was treated yet again to another war-tied story, and those sort of films usually bore me, reminding me of school. Nevertheless, it was quite a treat: constant deaths, forbidden love, sexual desire, religious mania, hetero- and homoflexibility!! Yeah - you can say that the story's an excuse for presenting violence while developing characters just to prepare that one scene where a guy is about to semi-rape another guy demanding, "I'm not going to leave until
I've cum all over your face."

Overall, a decent stab at presenting everything; an above average gay-themed film. The metaphors were uninteresting though, the story a bit in need of condensing, and the majority of the people will hate how it ends.
½ July 7, 2011
Sans doute un des films les plus sombres et désespérés que j'ai vu. Je ne le conseille à personne même si le tout est très bien écrit et que les personnages sont intéressants.
½ July 7, 2011
Rather rough, average though.
July 17, 2010
Twisted tale of religion and sex mixed together. Dont wait for a happy Hollywood end in this one...
½ November 2, 2009
LETTERBOX. Impactante y bien armada, en general fiel a sus propósitos, aunque no exenta de sus convencionalismos y sensacionalismos. / Striking and well put together, generally loyal to its aims, though not exempt from conventionalism and sensationalism.
½ October 11, 2009
Rather rough, average though.
May 13, 2009
One of the best gay-themed movies I've seen (which is a lot).
April 8, 2009
Madre mia...guilty as a guilt thing...Only for the Catholics and def not for me - thank you very much
March 30, 2009
villaronga ist ein bedeutender regisseur, aber dies ist keiner seiner bedeutenden filme. stellenweise beeindruckend, aber alles in allem zäh und unbefriedigend.
March 26, 2009
a couple of well-constructed shots but all in all, depressing from the start, plus a few really brutal moments, joder

all the rating says is "not recommended for under 13s" - what an understatement!!
March 19, 2008
Hey revolutionary brother. How ya doin?

It was a beautiful and ugly movie. Lots of blood. And a gay rape scene!
November 18, 2007
if you are going to watch this, good luck. Its not bad, but just a little twisted. You see religion and desire play a huge roll in everything that goes on in the film. I saw the catalan version, its not extremely hard to understand, but you may need subtitles sometimes.
October 15, 2007
A very dark film. Definitely not uplifting but very well done.
October 6, 2007
It never holds back, but all the brilliance is in a disjointed plot.
September 28, 2007
I watched the catalan version, and didn't understand what was happening, but i really enjoyed the beautiful (balear?) accent
½ July 30, 2007
This was interesting, definetly a twisted gay horror flick that I enjoyed. Can't remember when the last time I saw a gay horror film so this was a first. Good casting even though I coudn't understand a word they said...the subtitles helped.
½ July 24, 2007
tragic! religion is constricting!!!