El Alamein (The Line of Fire) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Alamein (The Line of Fire) Reviews

February 23, 2015
This is the first World War II film I have seen from the Italian point of view. It is a slow movie, a little weird, but mostly a straight forward tale of gradual military defeat. I loved the atmosphere.
October 9, 2012
It's nice to see the other side of the story. Perhaps the Italians are less equipped for the war, unlike their comrades the Japs and the Nazis. This film showcases that in tragedy. Though the movie was good, the battle scenes didn't do well. I don't know if it is a production constraint or a visual handicap for the director. Anyhow this should be part of any war film junkies' collection.
August 10, 2010
As a fan of war movies of all sorts I was overwelmingly imprest by this film. The acting was amazing and all the leading rols were preformed exalently. The thing about this movie that I enjoyed the most was how this film broke the steryotype of the Italian soldiers of world war two. Rather than being potrade as comical and cowardice people that were only good at surendering and runing from battel, they were shown as brave and honerable men caught up in a tragic war that consumed the world. Low on ammunition, food and water the war was no longer about fighting for their country but for the man next to them. The battle sequence in this movei was so emotional and so realistic it sent chills down my spine. It felt as if I was actualy in the fox holes with them staring almost certain death in the face. The overwelming reality and emotion of this film was incredible. This film realy drove home the point that the experiences that all soldiers face in war regaurdless of who they are or where they come from is nouthing short of savage. I give this movie 5/5. I would highly recomend this film. however if you do not like violence you may not like this film. It is an Italian fimle so it is entirely in Italian so subtitles will be necessary if you don't speek the language.
March 5, 2010
One of the best war movies I've ever seen. It sets an atmosphere of war few others have.
July 24, 2009
one of the few war movies about the desert war, el alamein depicts the hopelessness and suffering of that campaign quite well. surprisingly, not all good war movies have to come out of hollywood.
April 15, 2009
I really liked it. A lot. It shows how a romantic view of war changes into a deep understanding of what the war horrors are. A very poetic script, very metaphisical too.
½ March 22, 2009
Istruttivo e fatto bene, un po' troppa retorica ma va bene così
½ February 16, 2009
thought provoking, well presented, identified with the characters.. hot italians!
½ October 18, 2008
Il cinema italiano prova a ributtarsi sul tema della guerra cercando di rinnovarsi da quello che si era visto fin'ora. Il problema più grosso di questa pellicola sono i limiti di budget che si notano soprattutto nelle scene di battaglia. Le ambientazioni sono ben ricostruite e sono uno dei principali protagonisti del film. Ottima la scelta del cast, apprezzabile l'idea di non avere attori particolarmente famosi che ben si accostà con la volontà di non raccontare la storia di un eroe, ma la vita di soldati comuni. La regia è un pò frammentata ed episodica ma nel complesso fa un buon lavoro. Un film interessante che ritengo meriti di essere visto.
½ June 11, 2008
Fantastic film. Good balance of the horrors of war and what goes on in the mind of a soldier. I also enjoyed seeing war from the Italian perspective, which we don't often get.
May 3, 2008
History has not been kind to the Italian army for it's efforts in WWII, garnering a rather depressing image. Ill-equipped, ill-trained and ill-led, they were trounced by the British in North Africa prior to Rommel and the Afrika Korp's arrival, and later gave up the ghost in their own country with little resistance. So it is interesting to get the viewpoint of that nation on the subject of their part in the war. This film portrays the trials of a division on the front. It dispenses with the traditional war movie cliches, guns blazing, American heroics, you're more than familiar with it... choosing instead to focus more on the lives of the soldiers who have tired of a conflict that is heading nowhere bar the inevitable defeat whilst the British horde their forces. The initial hour covers small tales and little moments that break the boredom of life on the immobile front. An artillery attack here, a swim in the ocean there, a bullet dodged, a mortar shell detonating just far enough away to allow the soldiers to see another day. I enjoy this style of movie, where it does not attempt to tell a grand story, rather give us an insight into how people cope with being alive in such a morbid situation.

The second half of the film sees the British finally assault the Italian lines, which are overwhelmed by the sheer weight of numbers that are brought to bear. The division is over-run and forced to retreat, and no longer is anything relevant to these men but the slim hope of survival, pushing on, hoping to make it home. Ridiculous orders to stand fast come down from Il Duce, far removed from the ravages of desert war. The film becomes a detached, dreamlike affair as the dwindling force stumbles through the dry desert, pushed westward, severely lacking food and water.

This film may also hold the distinction of being the only WWII movie to feature full frontal male nudity, but I can't qualify that comment. Beyond that, this is an excellent movie - devoid of the trappings of Hollywood and presenting the conflict from the viewpoint of a bitter, soul-crushing defeat for the Italians. They may have been over-matched, but they were no different to any other soldier who just wanted to make it to the end of the war.

Top notch.
January 24, 2008
A good film- not top quality but good quality. Very valuable as it looks on the war from the never seen Italian perspective which most english speaking historians are astonishingly ignorant about.
Definately not a boys own film- more an represenation of how truly crap war is. (Still has some good action bits though)
January 8, 2008
north african campaign from an italian viewpoint,song at the end caps off a very good film
January 7, 2008
deep reflection of war, and mainly the monotony of trenchlife for Italian soldiers. very touching.
December 30, 2007
A war movie from the perspective of Italians fighting in Egypt during World War II. Very poignant and tragic.
November 9, 2007
Class,a view on the North African campaigh of WW2 from an Italian perspective,the music as the film ends caps off a great film.
September 23, 2007
if you search for some action-packed movie, this one is not for you. If you are searching a deep and touching reflection of the nonsense in war, thist movie will let you absolutely astonished.
My best war movie.
June 3, 2007
Kinda cheesy sound effects I thought. Modern vehicles used as tanks (with headlights?) Not a ton of action, but mainly an interesting representation of trench life for Italian soldiers.
½ January 9, 2007