El Bulli: Cooking In Progress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Bulli: Cooking In Progress Reviews

December 28, 2011
Like all geniuses Ferran Adria is a bit of a chaotic. Thus he's fun to watch (and to hear - his French is hilarious) but the patience of the audience can be strained if you shoot him testing his food for a 10-15 minute sequence - the only part of the film that was tedious though.

Thanks to school education I have some insights how restaurants and haute cuisine work but for people with lesser knowledge about the vast differences and funny similarities between the El Bulli and the real world I can only assume it's a boring and complex film. The lack of commentary and narration is also part of the problem - sometimes even I would have needed a little explanation what the product is they're cooking with.

It's impressive how different on so many levels Adria's team works and what he creates. Although I prefer a tender steak to his molecular creations it's like admiring spacecrafts and astronomists without ever want to go to space himself.

Also excellent editing work and a clear vision of the director what he wanted to do. I found it as pleasant as I expected and got some really neat insights in how the most radical cook of our time works.
November 12, 2011
For the hardcore foodies only. No explicit narrative but if you want to see the inner workings of Ferran's laboratory and the backstage of preparations at el Bulli, this delivers. Fascinating. If you've been to El Bulli add a star.
October 16, 2011
This chef is definitely one I am inspired by and respect greatly, and was thrilled about seeing this documentary. However, I felt that this documentary couldve been so much more. Towards the end of the movie, I was fighting to stay awake. It was very "fly on the wall" documentary and I enjoyed seeing the chefs doing what they do, although I wouldve loved more commentary from them and more insight into the food itself.
September 28, 2011
As a culinary student it was an eye-opener to one of the geniuses in the industry. As interesting as the food can be the producers of the documentary did not do a very good job. The slow and draggy month my month goes by with just watching the people at work. There should have been more interviews, food critics opinions and commentary.
September 4, 2011
Always interesting to follow a creative process, but the film lacks pace and narrative structure which makes it boring.
September 3, 2011
Molecular gastronomy isn't a way of cooking that interests me much, because the way I like to eat is to take the best ingredients and then do as little to them as possible. But this movie is a revalation of creativity at its highest. What you see here is all the experimentation, preparation and persperation that goes into preparing food of the highest quality and the dining experience that goes along with it. Well worth seeing for anyone who has ever cooked or ever eaten.
½ August 22, 2011
We are living in a rennaissance of documentary filmamking but this one harks back to a time to when documentaries were boring and had nothing to say.

No narration, no interviews and nothing happening throughout the film. It's a worst-case-scenario execution of a good premise.
½ August 16, 2011
Fun documentary for me, though I suspect it is strictly for foodies. The camera follows the chef at an avant-garde Spanish restaurant El Bulli (The Bull) through his "off-season" when he and his creative team experiment wildly with new tastes, textures and presentations, culminating in opening night of the new dining season.
August 8, 2011
Shows how hard work is important in the creative process. Not sure I enjoyed in the cinematographic sense, but is definitely interesting food-wise!
½ August 4, 2011
Taking the word "documentary" incredibly literally, EL BULLI: COOKING IN PROGRESS is a document of the food development process at a cutting edge Spanish restaurant. The chef closes the restaurant for six months so he and his team can create the molecular gastronomy wonders that makes his restaurant so strange and popular. But because the film is unfiltered by the filmmaker in any way, he just points the camera at them and watches, very little emerges, except for the fact that this food seems very strange, and as far as I can tell, kind of off-putting. There's time spent in the lab, then time spent at the restaurant premiering the dishes, but all I learned is that weird food can be served in tiny little bites and still look beautiful but sort of inedible. In the end it left me wanting to cook some Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and watch CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS - food and a documentary, American style.
July 24, 2011
An interesting look at a bizarre life - the lab and kitchen of El Bulli, and it's unique, ever-changing menu. All 4 of us seemed to enjoy it, but we all felt that a little was missing...perhaps a glimpse into the restaurant itself when it was full of customers? perhaps more of a sense as to how everything actually tasted? Didn't make us all desperately want to visit, but certainly had us intrigued.
June 25, 2011
Such an interesting movie about creating new food that has never been made before. It's too bad the restaurant in Spain is closing.