El Café Don's - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Café Don's Reviews

January 29, 2016
Absolutely brilliant! Incredibly fresh, real, and tragic.
July 21, 2014
A phenomenal cast struggles to carry a realistically scripted but cliche script that Maguire and Dicaprio have sued Robb over.
January 27, 2014
I'd been trying to track this down for a long time, which was difficult because this film was never released in the US or Canada. It's all black and white and it's about a group of 20-somethings that spend an evening at a diner. That's really it. It gets a bit racy. But it's interesting to see some pretty big actors in such an indie flick.
½ May 31, 2013
A pretty ridiculous film about insecurities and social situations. No wonder Leonardo DiCaprio tried to keep this movie hidden.
½ October 9, 2012
awesome film, should be more well known
½ July 17, 2012
LOVED IT. FUCKING AMAZING. I have no idea why the fucj tobey/leo banned its distrubution, but this movie was splendid, and had such a great 90s artsy feel w/o being pretentious. Amber Benson was also beyond amazing.
May 8, 2012
i see why some people wouldn't like it, but i REALLY loved it. :)
its kinda like surrealism and super-realism mixed together, only for true artists ;)
just another day of friends hanging out , totally relatable....
kinda x)
April 22, 2012
This movie isn't the most incredible thing in the world, but it's really entertaining
½ February 13, 2012
A group meets at a local diner spot with half the people knowing each other, the others just meeting-- a perfect example of how a bond is really formed and whats always been a lie.
½ June 18, 2011
So I'm gonna be honest, the only real reason I watched this movie was because it stared Leonardo DiCaprio, who is my favorite actor. First of all I wasn't completely happy with the fact that the movie was in black and white because it was visually difficult to watch but I was really surprised to see how the movie actually digs into the lives of teens instead of the fake crap we see on t.v now a days. It was actually quite refreshing and it wasn't the best acting out there but for me personally it was more about the message, in the sense that it's about the struggle and just overall being of a teenager. This movie is just plain different in all aspects of it. It's strange and a little awkward also I felt that I was nervous when watching this movie because you'll realize that you have found yourself in situations similar to those in the movie and then you become nervous for yourself and the characters. It's always good when a movie gets you to feel something but I realize that this movie is not for the large majority.I have mixed feelings about this movie because it's different but there was room for improvement. I did like his movie but like I said before it was different
MANUGINO
June 18, 2011
A group of Los Angeles teenagers meet every day at their local diner hangout to discus their latest misadventures with their miserable lives.

Good movie. Been a Leonardo DiCaprio movie fan I had to see this and wasn't that bad. I understand why some actors didn't want for this film to be released but it sure was decent enough. It is true that impact is a little bit lost sometimes because it's hard to relate with the characters. It's hard to admit for anyone that they've asked out a 'friend' sometimes just for accompaniment and self-gratification like the characters seem to do in this film. But I'm a 100 % sure that everyone has done it at least once in their life. This film is hard to watch cause it takes this very aspect of relationships and puts in under a magnifying glass.I think the film is good in the way that it had it's desired effect. It's not your cup of tea if you want to watch something entertaining, something fun with your friends. Acting is very interesting, because it mainly plays in the same room and the film is in black and white attention is focused on the words, and even more on the gestures and facial expressions of the characters. Nice cast and it had some comedy and drama which was a nice treat overall.

Directed by R.D. Robb, the largely unreleased Don's Plum made headlines throughout the late '90s for featuring Leonardo DiCaprio, who, after scoring big with the success of Titanic, was enjoying the top spot on young Hollywood's A-list. The film stars DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire as two of several obnoxious rich kids whittling the night away at Don's Plum, a local diner. Shot in black-and-white and largely improvised, the kids speak candidly about women, sex, drugs, and the nuances of relationships -- if by "nuances" one means adultery, masturbation, bisexuality, and whatever shock-topics the moment may have called for. Maguire and DiCaprio claimed to have worked in Plum free of charge on the condition that it would not be made into a feature release, and promptly sued Robb for distribution rights after it was, indeed, stretched into a 90-minute film. Though the young actors successfully blocked Don's Plum from release among American and Canadian audiences, it was shown internationally, albeit without much success.
January 10, 2011
Leonardo dicaprio and Toby maguire star in this mess.
They had made this so-called movie for a friend which should have not got re-leased but did.
TM tried to stop it being released but didn't win.(only banned in North America).
This could have ruined there careers.(Spiderman being made at the time)
1 star for the movie but 5 stars for Tony Mcguire's acting skills which had me in fits.(Hence Spiderman 3,the dancing scene)
August 6, 2010
Its an interesting film. I like how I can relate alot of it since its pretty much the teen "life", so if you want to see actors at their youngest, you should go for it! Though there's alot of profanity, talks about sex, drugs the works and all that....but either wise if you can see it you can. But if you don't I understand that too, I'm with you all the way. I kind of liked to see how Leo and Tobey were like in this movie. Though, Leo's character Derek I despise and like at the same time :)
July 18, 2010
I watched this film totally unaware of the controversy surrounding it. It... sucked. A lot. It was terrible. What a mess. I can kind of see why DiCaprio and Maguire wouldn't've wanted it to see major release; it shows a side of both actors that must be embarrassing. They were working from character--it's not Leo and Tobey--but the improv got pretty genuinely tense a few times and they were blurting things that must make them cringe now. Also, again, the movie sucks. I can't rate it one star, because there's a lot of talent on display (get a load of Jenny fricking Lewis!), and because it reminds me of so many late nights at Village Inn when I was a brash ignorant teenager. But it's not "good."
December 28, 2009
Is it overrated ? Yes, it's.
Is it boring ? Yes, it's.
Is it kinda sick? Yes, it's.
Is Leo any good ? Yes , he is the only reason I kept watching this nonsense.
November 18, 2009
Recommended by Mike, he is trying to make me like Di Caprio, ill do my best.
August 13, 2009
Leo DiCaprio was 27 ??? 0_o playin in this movie ??? a teenager ???!!!
that's f*ckin awesome !!! =)) I'm a huge fan . . .

& Tobey Maguire was 26 . . . um, they REALLY look young ! ! !

but the film ain't good, ridiculous I'd say . . .
all the characters got drama in life, eww <_<
they fight & then they bff again, what was the point ???

hang out w/ friends ppl <_<
June 19, 2009
I found it quite interesting, not sure why. I suppose if you've ever found Big Brother interesting, then maybe you could watch this.