El Cid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Cid Reviews

May 14, 2008
Old School goodness, before extras were all cg
½ May 9, 2008
Back in the day, you couldn't define "manliness" better than with Charlton Heston, nor "hotness" than with Sophia Loren. Men and ladies alike, take notes from these two...

(oh yeah, "El Cid." Good, but not great; grandiose and ambitious, but not amazing. A good film, let's leave it at that)
April 21, 2008
the ended kind of compensated for the beginning.

I was kind of bored at first and really disappointed as I have heard great things about anthony mann, but the end saved the movie.
April 15, 2008
The cinematography is very good, as is the score. Anthony Mann handles the visual presentation of the film well, but falters when it comes to character and pacing.
April 15, 2008
HUGE scale, decent story.
April 13, 2008
Ah! those glorious days of the "roadshow", when you had to purchase advance tickets to reserve a seat in a BIG theatre with a BIG curved screen! I remember really anticipating EL CID: reading the epic poem, listening to the stirring Miklos Rozsa score endlessly - so that when I actually saw the film, well...
it was pretty boring.
If the second half could've lived up to the first half, there might have been something for the ages. As it is, Heston's a stalwart (if jaw-clenchingly stiff) hero; Sophia could do with more cleaveage visible (and definitely more facial EXPRESSION!) - and what's Herbert Lom doing in a Super Technirama 70 movie
like this? BUT - two key sequences redeem this picture: the Tournament for Calahorra
(best joust ever filmed!) and the duel between Diego and Sophia's dad, the King's Champion Count Gormaz (the actors look like they need cranes to lift those blades, which really go CLANGGGG!). Bottom line:
I'd sit thru EL CID again just for those two fights; they, alone, justify my overly-generous three-star rating.
½ April 7, 2008
Memorable film about a little known historical feature, excellent production values
½ March 29, 2008
A typical 60s Hollywood epic. It's probably one of my lesser-liked ones; Charleton Heston's acting seemed even more wooden than usual (Sophia Loren gave a much better performance) and the story has a considerable amount of holes. But what really disappointed me was the impossible ending of the dead Cid driving away the African army "riding" on his white horse. Granted, movies are not reality and must not be taken as such, but the end was really too unbelievable for me.

If you're in the mood for an epic and tired of watching "Spartucus" and "Cleopatra", I'd recommend "El Cid"
½ March 26, 2008
Really good classic knights tale.
½ March 26, 2008
old epic movies are cool. charlton heston puts his foot down and gives the boot to all the arabs. we watched this in my spanish class my freshman year of high school and the substitute teacher definitely had a hardon for sophia loren
March 16, 2008
A great old Hollywood epic, it shows what can be done without CGI.
½ March 16, 2008
Used to watch this over and over when I was little, not sure I understood all of it. It's a bit like Kingdom of Heaven but with more class and older. I think that in retrospect reflecting on this film the enjoyment extracted isn't overwhelming but it is well acted, impressively put together and it's a classic without a doubt. If a bit long.
March 9, 2008
A fantastic historical epic.
Though somewhat dated, and with its share of inaccuracies, it is stands the test of time and ranks as one of the best of its genera.
½ March 9, 2008
fantastic. nuff said
½ March 7, 2008
amazing epic, this movie rocks (especially the end)
February 28, 2008
a classic epic on a similar level to ben hur. the character of el cid is a little too perfect, particular the ending in which he glows white and single handedly routs the enemy. still heston is strong as the stiff but noble knight, and the scope of the film lends to el cid as a legend more than a historical figure
February 26, 2008
This is one of the greatest movies of all time. The music is great, the acting is great, the battles scenes are great, the story is great. This is one of my favorite movies. The ending scene is the best part of any movie ever made. I still get chills when Charlton Heston rides out of the gates at the end. If I could I would rate this movie ten out of five stars.
½ February 24, 2008
For someone whose idea of epic fare is things like "Gladiator" and "Lord of the Rings", I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one, despite the massive generation gap. This is what movies look like when there's no choice but to build the sets you need and hire as many extras as it takes.

Highlights include El Cid's forcing King Alfonso to swear he had no part in his brother's death, the sequence where Chimene declares her hatred for El Cid, the big death scene, and the still-chilling speech from the beginning where Ben Yusuf declares "The Prophet has called upon us to rule the world!" Herbert Lom still makes you feel how menacing he can be, even after all these years. Miklos Rozsa's score is particularly good, as well.

Early epic films can be an acquired taste, but if you can get to enjoy it, this is a good one.
February 24, 2008
A 60's look and feel (unfortunately) permeates this historical drama. But, c'mon - it's Charlton Heston in his earnest glory! Pretty impressive cinematography in regard to landscape shots. Amazing pre-CGI army shots... Worth a look for those who like a good period flic...
February 23, 2008
Superior epic, elevated, primarily, by the excellent direction of Anthony Mann. His masterful use of the widescreen frame should be studied by today's filmmakers.