El cuerpo (The Body) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El cuerpo (The Body) Reviews

May 5, 2017
A taut thriller with an impossible twist. Remake worthy !
January 23, 2017
Trust me!! Very Good!
December 2, 2016
Slick Spanish thriller that takes the Hitchcockian path of revealing who the killer is from the start and then creating suspense as the police close in on him. I can't remember Hitch using flashbacks however (except perhaps in Vertigo) but here they add to the tension because we can see moments when even the victim may have discovered the plot to kill her. This is a key part of the plot because, you see, the victim's body has gone missing and all signs point to the possibility that she is still alive and leading the police to clues that identify her "killer" (and, of course, tormenting him psychologically along the way). The whole film takes place in the morgue (more or less). Belen Rueda (from The Orphanage, 2007) plays the victim, a successful but emotionally cruel businesswoman, and Hugo Silva plays her younger husband with the incentive to kill his wife arising due to her large fortune and his much younger mistress (Aura Garrido) who wishes to have him all for herself. Jose Coronado plays the stereotypic seedy police detective with problems of his own. So, in many respects, El Cuerpo is straight genre film-making with no aim except to thrill and to entice viewers with a hard-to-anticipate twist ending. The cinematic style is noirish (rainy nights, dark medical rooms) but nothing special. Whether the ending is earned or not is up to viewers to judge - but, as with many pictures of this type, thinking back over the film after the ending is known does highlight its improbabilities. But don't let that spoil your fun.
½ October 9, 2016
I'm keen on spanish thrillers lately...
September 27, 2016
Hitchcock would have been proud of this one...
½ August 21, 2016
Slow but suspenseful Spanish thriller. Entertaining mystery with a good cast.
April 30, 2016
A pretentious bunch of clichés.
December 26, 2015
The premise is nothing new, but the execution is top notch.
December 12, 2015
en lo personal me encanto el desarrollo de la historia y uno de los mejores finales que he visto en un largo tiempo
September 24, 2015
What if your plan is a small part of someone's big.

I wanted this film since it was out, only now I managed to see it. I haven't seen so many Spanish films as I did for French and German. I don't want to get disappointed, so I'm choosy and that is how it got delayed. That is the another reason why you don't see my low rated ('bad' and 'ignore' in my verdict) movie reviews. I don't want to waste my time to review bad films. Better late than never, and now, I don't regret for the wait. Anyway, the film was good, I enjoyed it and I wanted it to be one of my favourite from the year it got released, but a few things stopped me to consider that.

Okay, first of all, it was a casual start like any thriller flick. Slowly letting us know what it's all about, introducing the characters in order in a simple manner and then intense suspense emerges. The pace picks up when more and more puzzle pieces dropped on-board. By then, as a viewer you would begin to figure it out, applying theories you got. But it's not that easy to crack, because the film is not that stupid to give away any hints. Nowadays a certain section audience is a little extra cautious, especially since 'The Sixth Sense' and 'The Shawshank Redemption'. So this narration carefully maintains the tense parts.

"I close my eyes and you're still with me."

Not until the film reaches the final act, where the twist happens and you will realise that you were nowhere near. Because the first two acts and the final were totally parted in narration except connected with the characters. The entire film revolves around a disappearance of a dead body from a morgue. The husband of the dead woman, a cop and others tries to solve the mystery in an overnight. And a few flashback pieces give us the necessity stories when the ongoing situation getting more tense.

I thought 'Gone Girl' was inspired by the first half of this film. After a little research I got to know that movie was based on the book of the same name that released around the same date when this film came out. But a very similar one, only the finale diverted to the other path and so the meaning of whole film changed. As a movie fanatic, I had collected some flaws for my review, but the movie took till the final dialogue to keep it that way and then solved it, leaving me empty handed.

So there are no second and third thoughts about the end, because that was separated from the rest of the movie and very clear to declare what has to be done. That means you don't have to go looking for defects, other than accepting as it is. The only choice you have to make is to express whether you liked the movie or not. And like I said in the first paragraph I enjoyed the film, but not the favourite one and I believe I explained the reason for that in other paragraphs. I absolutely recommend it for those who are looking for a suspense-thriller.

8/10
March 11, 2015
did not see that ending! great mystery!
½ October 26, 2014
Although a little slow at times, El Cuerpo gradually unfolds to reveal a dramatic plot, and culminates in a spellbinding climax. Definitely worth the watch.
½ October 7, 2014
Very ingenious with lots of twists and turns
½ October 4, 2014
taut, well executed Spanish thriller
October 2, 2014
Alright. It's weird and nothing new, but I still enjoyed it immensely. The lead is a bloody idiot and I loved watching his life turn more and more into a living hell.
October 2, 2014
Stylish and atmospheric, there's a fine mystery here that has you hooked from the first scene, and whilst the subsequent police investigation is very slow paced, the unravelling of what has gone on remains interesting through to the unpredictable ending.
½ September 26, 2014
the movie was quite intriguing till the end when it turned out to be just another revenge story! despite that enjoyed it very much
½ September 19, 2014
Not convincing enough, but just about okay if you've nothing better to do. Try it as a no-brainer and you might be better entertained than disappointed (in case you go expecting a taut mystery/thriller).
½ September 6, 2014
Oriol Paulo does give an engaging thriller but it loses pace to the end. It has that fine texture that you might expect from a Spanish film but turns out to be too predictable by the end.
August 31, 2014
El Cuerpo is a perfect example of the magnificent flexibility, which the Spanish film makers are presenting us with in the recent years. This thriller, or should I say black comedy, will keep you guessing right to the end, and when you think you've figured it out - well,guess again....
Belen Rueda is certainly on forme here, and I personally can never get bored with her excellent and far - reaching acting skills.
I highly recommend this atmospheric, suspenseful, bizarre tale to anyone, who is looking for a original yet Hitchcock-esque thriller.