El Mar Reviews

• Jan 23, 2016

A little too deppressing, but also very engaging, it really is a study of how the trauma of the civil war in Majorca, where neighbours in opposing sides killed each other, fatally traumatizes a group of children, so that years later, and despite varios effort to esacape - via religion, criminality and sex - they end up re-enacting the violence. It captures the oppressive conditions in post-war Francoist society, with a very good sense of the local atmosphere when Majorca was still very rural and isolated (unfortunately I only saw the dubbed version in Spanish, rather than the original Catalan, and this took away much of the film's authenticity). It is good to shake some tabus (the way the war divided people, reppressed homosexuality...) but, in my view, it need not have ended up with so much blood.

• Oct 06, 2012

A violent & disturbing love story to say the least.

A violent & disturbing love story to say the least.

• Jan 04, 2012

Apparently this film caused quite a stir. Can't imagine why.

Apparently this film caused quite a stir. Can't imagine why.

• Jul 07, 2011

• Jul 07, 2011

Sans doute un des films les plus sombres et désespérés que j'ai vu. Je ne le conseille à personne même si le tout est très bien écrit et que les personnages sont intéressants.

• Jul 17, 2010

Twisted tale of religion and sex mixed together. Dont wait for a happy Hollywood end in this one...

• Nov 01, 2009

LETTERBOX. Impactante y bien armada, en general fiel a sus propósitos, aunque no exenta de sus convencionalismos y sensacionalismos. / Striking and well put together, generally loyal to its aims, though not exempt from conventionalism and sensationalism.

• Oct 11, 2009

• Jun 25, 2009

Well, I thought the film was in Spanish at first, and I kept on thinking I was going crazy until I realized the Catalonians were doing their thing again and tricking me (Joder!). I finally input subtitles, and I didn't want to go back since I was lazy, so this reviewer has the beginning of this movie understood sort of blurry... Agusti Villaronga's other film Tras el Cristal was highly controversial, dark, harrowing - basically my taste - so I thought I'd give this a go, and who wouldn't given the awesome cover? However, I was treated yet again to another war-tied story, and those sort of films usually bore me, reminding me of school. Nevertheless, it was quite a treat: constant deaths, forbidden love, sexual desire, religious mania, hetero- and homoflexibility!! Yeah - you can say that the story's an excuse for presenting violence while developing characters just to prepare that one scene where a guy is about to semi-rape another guy demanding, "I'm not going to leave until I've cum all over your face." Overall, a decent stab at presenting everything; an above average gay-themed film. The metaphors were uninteresting though, the story a bit in need of condensing, and the majority of the people will hate how it ends.

• May 13, 2009

One of the best gay-themed movies I've seen (which is a lot).

One of the best gay-themed movies I've seen (which is a lot).