Electric House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Electric House Reviews

½ April 2, 2017
The Electric House (1922) with Buster Keaton silent Film

I think that for the most part I enjoyed this film because most of the inventions installed in the house by modern standards are practical for most part, impressive considering the period this film was made even though today it is something that can exist or does exist regularly.

I think what I was most impressive with was the rail road toy that brought the food to diner table or cleaned the dishes.

I also enjoyed seeing the Pool game setting up the pool balls on the pool table.

I do like the beginning with the swapping of the diplomas.

I actually like the moral of the story of the film that it is possible to be successful if you put your mind and dedication to it.

I liked it when the real Electrician tried sabotaging Buster Keaton's character.

Buster Keaton was amazing in this film. This was not your traditional slap stick film in that you felt sympathetic towards Buster Keaton's character. I was impressed that they made Buster Keaton's character actually successful early on in the film rather than making mistakes like you would expect to see if Charlie Chaplin's character was in the film.

For a silent film I actually felt like it was a rather tolerable film. At no point did I feel like the film was going on too long. I actually was quiet amused by the film. The passe of the film was well done. I never felt as thought there were too many slow points to this film.

What got me was that the intent of this film was originally to be comical. However my today's standards I found very little comical due to must of the inventions presented in the film I could easily see installed into a house today.

#TheElectricHouse #The_Electric_House #Buster_Keaton #BusterKeaton #SilentFilm #Film_Review #FilmReview
½ July 9, 2016
"The Electric House" is one of the most inventive Buster Keaton shorts where he creates a load of peculiar mechanisms in his client's house. Susprisingly, everything works perfectly, until the original electrical engineer decides to avenge him by sabotaging the whole system... One of Keaton's most outrageous (or even unbelievable at points) experiments! A must-see for Keaton fans (and not only).
December 13, 2014
Buster Keaton being as entertaining as always :)
February 10, 2014
I wouldn't really want this house, but it would be fun to have an evening in the house for a dinner party. I especially like the idea of a train set on the table (and a table that big.
½ October 2, 2012
A curious little film. Not all the gags work, but there's just enough comedy to sustain the film's 20-minute run time.
March 7, 2012
Buster's character gets mistaken for an electrical engineer and thus gets hired to soup up a man's house with fancy electrical gadgets. And he outdoes himself. Literally.

The concept of the film is the perfect concept for Buster and his technical knowhow, his inventive sense of humor, and his athleticism. Buster himself builds every single insane electical mechanism and they're all hilariously brilliant. There's the automatic pool table, automatic dish washer, the little train used to serve food, and of course, the electric staircase.

Unfortunately, the staircase would actually cause Buster to break his leg. Buster was no stranger to getting busted up on set (duh, his name is Buster) but as a result, production on the film was halted, as Buster went on to make another film, The Playhouse, while his leg healed. When he continued production on The Electric House, he actually scrapped the whole project and started from scratch.

The Electric House is an uproarious good time. It may not be as funny as some of Buster's funniest, but it's a really great time, and it's worth watching to see all of the cool inventions, which are even pretty impressive by today's standards.
January 6, 2012
"The Electric House" is one of the masterpiece shorts that Buster Keaton Directed and stared in during his early career from 1920-1923. The short is 23 minutes long and crams all kinds of props into the house and a barrage of editing techniques are used in order to make the film and all it's gadgets work and look real. The project is quite an undertaking especially for a two-reel film and is a testament to the genius, and incredible engineering skills, of Buster Keaton! The basic plot is during graduation several of the graduates drop their diplomas and pick up the wrong ones during a crucial moment, a millionaire is employing someone with a degree in electrical engineering. The fellow who has the degree (or at least did until it was mixed up and ends up in the hands of Buster) is denied because he is unknowingly carrying a Beauty degree. Buster accidentally winds up next to the millionaire and he is chosen to create an electric house for the client. Shockingly he does an amazing job and the house is stunning and really proves Keaton's genius in real life but is eventually sabotaged by the other graduate seeking revenge when he finds out about the mix-up and Buster taking the job anyway. The variety of editing and reversing of the film coupled with close-ups and different angle shots makes the house come alive and all the gadgets all the more incredible. "The Electric House" truly shows off Keaton's genius both in front of the camera and behind it and is essential watching to any Keaton fans or comedy lovers!
½ October 6, 2011
It's a shame that this film has missing footage and is in such poor condition. The gags involving the automated house are a hoot. Particularly the moving stairway and the pool table.
October 24, 2010
course it's repetitive but quite clever
September 3, 2010
Technology gone awry, if you love that theme as much as I do you'll love this movie.
ElCochran90
September 17, 2009
Hlarious, inventive, unique and full-of-gags Buster Keaton short, definitely worth watching.

84/100
August 14, 2009
Gadgets gone haywire aplenty.
½ January 6, 2009
The best staircase prank ever.
August 13, 2008
A good Keaton short, but it's a little disappointing that the focus is not on his prowess for physical gags and instead on mechanical contraptions set around the house. It's fun, but it's not my favorite.

I really do need to see it again, though.
May 4, 2008
It's pretty funny, I love the railroad with the plates on it (which Chitty Chitty Bang Bang stole BTW). Very enjoyable.
½ April 22, 2008
Typical Buster Keatom slapstick gags - nothing really new or exciting, but pretty innovative for its age.
December 3, 2007
how did they do this? iwould like to live in a house where anything might happen.
November 27, 2007
Okänt mästerverk. Keaton ska installera framtidens teknik, elektricitet, i ett hus. Många intressanta paralleller till dagens diskussioner om Internet i hemmet.
½ September 7, 2007
Not as to-the-point as some of the other shorts, but the setups for all the gags are elaborate and full of pay-off. The electrical inventions he devises for the house are whimsically inventive, but the thing that really matter is that they all lead up to brilliant gag later on in the film. also effective, is the way certain gags are repeated, most notably everyone falling out the window and the pool draining. Wonderful stuff.
August 7, 2007
This thing is a hoot. 'Specially to us architecture students. It's really funny. I love it when the stairs threw the people into the pool. fantastic.