Electricity Reviews

• Dec 26, 2016

Uma mulher com epilepsia tem que ir encontrar seu irmão desaparecido para lhe entregar parte da herança e durante o enredo ela mostra os problemas de sua doença, e que a cada troca de remédio, por melhor que seja para doença muda seu comportamento e a faz esquecer quem ela realmente é... filme muito bom!

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Jul 22, 2016

The fact that I forgot that I even saw this movie and I also forgot to review it shouldn't dissuade you from giving this a shot. Overall, I would say that this is a pretty good movie, but it's one of those that deludes itself into thinking that it is a great movie and it never quite reached that level. And, if I'm being completely honest, it's a movie that barely reaches the good level as it is. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh to the film, but I just didn't find the story that intriguing. This woman with epilepsy, who also has these hallucinations when she blacks out, tries to find her long lost brother, who got taken away from her home as a teen after an incident, in order to give him his share of the money for his mother's house. The film sees Lily heading to London in order to follow her brother's traces, see if she can finally find the one person that really ever cared for her in her life, even though it's been over a decade since she last saw Mikey, her brother. The fact of the matter is that, in spite of everything, I just don't think that anything really happens in this movie. Lily goes on this search, she meets some people, has epileptic attacks, rinse repeat. There's some character development and Agyness Deyn, who plays Lily, is really good in her role, but there's just something about the movie that leaves a lot to be desired and I can't really put my finger on it if I'm being perfectly honest. This film is based on a book and, dare I say, it doesn't make the transition as smoothly as it probably should. I'm honestly really surprised that they managed to get 90 minute of material out of this story. Because, again, it's just not that interesting of a story that you'd want to see over an hour of it. Maybe the hallucinations were a bigger part of the book and they just wanted to focus more on the characters, Lily's relationship with her brother and her obsession to find him. And that's fine, but I just found that the script to be really lacking. If you had an uninteresting script, then maybe they should've focused more on the hallucinations to disguise from the fact that the story just isn't that good or that intriguing to follow. Now that I think about it, perhaps saying that this film was good is a bit of an exaggeration. A really good central performance isn't enough to make a movie good, you need a strong narrative to go along with that. And not only does this movie not have a good narrative, it's got one that goes way longer than it should've gone. The hallucinations that are there are good and the film does have some interesting ideas that it touches on, like Lily and her refusal to take new medication for her epilepsy, but those ideas are drowned out by the sheer nothingness of everything else that's happening around here. This should've been a better movie, it really should've been. I can't really recommend it because of all the flaws I mentioned. Acting is strong, narrative is super weak, so I can't really recommend it.

• Jun 28, 2016

"First the breath, then the breeze, then the shimmer, then I'm Alice down the rabbit hole." Electricity is the first feature film I've seen with an epileptic protagonist, so I have no body of epileptic cinema compare it to. But, knowing much more about the subject than I wish anyone did, the first thing that I have to salute this movie for is the filmmakers' detailed, sensitive knowledge of what seizures, living with seizures does to you. I recognize the onset symptoms of shortness of breath and repetitive thoughts, the acute pain of the shocks, the lost time and memory gaps, the attempts to plan your life around symptoms and hazards. Thankfully, though, Electricity offers much more than just a portrayal of the struggle with illness. The story revolves a young British woman's attempt to reconnect with her lost siblings after their mother dies. Stricken with the unique humiliations of temporal lobe epilepsy since childhood, Lilly has grown up institutionalized, only recently having emerged into the working world. Her callous oldest brother Barry has grown up to be a thoroughly untrustworthy professional gambler. Her favorite, her brother Mikey, who saved her life when they were children, disappeared into the juvenile justice system, never to be heard from again. Lily journeys into London to find what happened to Mikey. The early signs don't look good. All the while, Lilly is dogged by her seemingly inescapable grand mals, repeatedly battering her into bloody, helpless confusion in public--often under the indifferent gaze of strangers. The film's imagery ranges from meticulously realistic to the grotesque hallucinations. I wish I knew Lilly: I don't meet many other people in this plight, but no one else understands like someone who's been down the rabbit hole. This film can give the rest of you a pretty good idea of what it's like, though.

• Jul 25, 2015

Typical low budget British film with epilepsy providing the electricity of the title. Model Agyness Dean makes her acting debut in the lead role as a northern lass called Lily searching for her long lost brother. The purpose being as well as the emotional delight of being reunited with him, to share the probate from the death of their 'interesting' mother. Lily suffers from debilitating epilepsy. Her frequent seizures causing painful physical injuries. The search for her brother leads from Cleveland to the smoke of London complete with its mad mainline railway stations and claustrophobic underground system. Hardly environments to help her condition? The actual seizures are presented realistically and for that the film makers must be congratulated. The acting is a little woeful at times but the gritty Brit thriller does provide entertainment that would fill a Channel 4 schedule some day I suppose.

• Jan 31, 2015

Saltburn, Redcar Blast Furnace, Newcastle, and a fine sound track .

Saltburn, Redcar Blast Furnace, Newcastle, and a fine sound track .

• Dec 13, 2014

Challenging insight in to the big heart and determination of someone not prepared to give up on herself or those she loves.

• Dec 12, 2014

This is generally very good. I had issues with it: there's too many good looking characters 'Chaved up', which makes it feel phony. Some of the characters just don't get enough screen time, particularly Mikey and the main characters boss. This just leaves you confused/not caring who they are and what they are doing. The 'best friend' character didn't work at all. In general there were too many characters for such a short film. But I think Lily was good, likable and made you care. It was well shot and well put together.

• Dec 10, 2014

Not always an easy subject to talk about, Bryn Higgins in Electricity has brought it home to us all that this is a problem to discuss. Well filmed and with an interesting story.Aesthetically challenged and solely driven by Deyn's performance, Electricity is an eye-opener to say the least.

• Nov 01, 2014

Brilliant British film, outstanding performance by Agyness Deyn, must see!

Brilliant British film, outstanding performance by Agyness Deyn, must see!