Elektra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elektra Reviews

December 2, 2015
Very boring and slow paced with some poor casting. But decent effects and cinematography.
½ November 16, 2015
this film makes daredevil look like iron man...nuff said
½ October 27, 2015
You thought Daredevil was bad? You ain't seen nothing yet.
½ October 16, 2015
Even as someone who enjoyed "Daredevil", it came as a surprise that the film was followed up with the spin-off/sequel "Elektra". But despite its apparent continuity with "Daredevil", "Elektra" is a completely different film, both in terms of tone and entertainment. While "Daredevil" was fairly grounded and enjoyable, "Elektra" is dull and supernatural to a fault. This is largely due to the fact that it draws from every clichÚ in the (comic) book. The action is just a bunch of kung fu, and it gets boring real quick. There is a rushed, forced romance. And the bad guys are a band of misfit, wannabe villains that turn into green farts when they die.

From its generic origin story to its unsatisfying ending, "Elektra" fails to distinguish itself from its far superior cousins, like "Spider-Man" and "X-Men". Jennifer Garner may be a good lead actress in other films, but she doesn't have what it takes to be a lead in an action flick. I'll give "Elektra" credit for being a female-led superhero film, but it is unfortunate that one of the first female-led superhero films made is so unenjoyable and a poor adaption of the character.
½ October 7, 2015
Another Marvel comics character that they made into a movie. I'm not as familiar with this character because she came out long after I stopped following comic books. Jennifer Garner is very good in the title role of an assassin and martial arts master but the movie was a bit slow in some parts.
September 6, 2015
It's got Jennifer Garner in it, the duck face woman of Hollywood! Of course this turned out to be a piece of crap! Why do movies like this exist!? It was hard enough watching Batman and Robin last time!
½ August 28, 2015
Devastatingly bland and uninspired, Elektra, remaining the sole Marvel-comics adaptation I've seen once with no chances of ever revisiting it, is hands down the worst Marvel-based movie ever (yes, and I've seen Howard the Duck, both Ghost Rider films and all four incarnations of Fantastic Four).
August 10, 2015
A boring action soaked attempt but one of the worst super hero movies in years.
August 9, 2015
This is one of the best Marvel Comic Book Adaptation movies, I've ever seen!! The story was awesome!! The action was awesome!! Its an amazing movie, and I don't understand how it's rated so low! Forget the rating, just watch it! The special effects were so cool!! This is one of the best movies in general I've ever seen!!! Wow!! It was just incredible and so ├┬░ and amazing!!! Also she's so hot!!
August 7, 2015
the directors edition was better than the theatre version
August 6, 2015
I honestly think this is one of the better Marvel movies, mostly because it does not focus on "BEING" a superhero/heroine. It takes a Marvel character, diverts from the comics a bit and ventures into the realm of magic/mysticism/philosophy, which is refreshing and original . The music was great, the acting was great, the story was great - I think this movie is severally underrated.
August 3, 2015
[Director's Cut] You get more hero thrills and action, though by the final fight it feels like you've seen it all before. The characters are hollow, and the story is not as deep as it tries to be. There are a lot of open holes and subplots that aren't touched on enough.
½ July 17, 2015
Even by pre-MCU standards, ELEKTRA is pretty bad. You have a nonsensical script, flat characters, uninspired dialogue, and equally bad delivery. DAREDEVIL was no prize, but this spin off failed in a large part to even be entertainingly bad. I can't really claim to know much about Elektra since I've never read any of the comics, but I have a hard time believing that the interpretation here was in any way faithful, except maybe cosmetically. If there's one thing the film has going for it, Jennifer Garner looks stunningly attractive in the character's trademark red costume. Even the filmmakers seem to be aware of this fact, as they spend an inordinate amount of screen time devoted to her movement in slow motion just looking sexy. Aside from some hackneyed backstory, though, Elektra is barely as fleshed out as the supporting cast around her. Even more to its detriment, no attempt is made whatsoever to explain anything whatsoever. The only thing that is clear is that The Hand is after some teenage girl who is "The Treasure," and Elektra somehow gets caught in the middle of it. Other than that, it's the same old "antihero who finds the good within themselves" hokum that we've seen dozens of times already. But, one must give credit where credit is due. The production design and art direction on this film is pretty darn good. Costumes, sets, and effects were all done quite well. Even the action, though edited in a slightly irritating way, was effective enough. Too bad there wasn't more of it, though. The best scene is arguably Elektra's (re)introduction, but after that the pacing takes a nosedive and doesn't really recover until the last 30 minutes, and by then it's too late. Plenty of time is spent with Elektra and the two people she's originally tasked with killing, but the villains are left out in the cold as far as development is concerned. They all look cool and have some cool abilities, but their goal is ill-defined (as is the human MacGuffin they're after) and the actors playing them were risibly bad when they decided to open their mouths. If there's anything else to say to the film's detriment, it's that the pacing is so lethargic in the middle portion it becomes boring. When it comes down to it, I feel like only the Marvel completist would enjoy this in the slightest. Even as a DAREDEVIL apologist, I must say that ELEKTRA is non-essential when it comes to the Marvel canon. There is visual appeal to be had, but that's about it. Thank goodness the rights reverted back from Fox to Marvel Studios, because I feel like the Netflix DAREDEVIL show will finally get her right.
July 10, 2015
Elektra is Marvel's worst! I'm not sure if it's even a comic book, What i heard is it is only a movie and not a book. Jennifer Garner's dress in the body of Elektra is ugly to even look at, the Acting was Awful and this just makes Ghost Rider look good. 1% Rotten.
½ July 7, 2015
Cheese is good often times.A good melted cheese sandwich is melty goodness. Here however...cheesiness is supreme.
Possibly because I did not know what to expect. They have pretty good actors here, so it can't be that bad.
I have no words, but....cheesy.
(Solid star for cool fights and Garner, and half a star for scenery) Otherwise just... don't choose something else to watch
July 7, 2015
She looked hot. That's it. This is like a pg version of kill bill
June 13, 2015
awesome movie to watch
June 13, 2015
Horrible movie. Almost unwatchable.
½ June 7, 2015
This was a mess! From acting to direction to story!
May 30, 2015
A standalone Marvel flick that was typically-stylized like the others that were released around its time, but this particular shot tried to maintain the entertainment value when it wasn't packed enough to that value due to some poor execution of the story. Garner did a better maintaining job of reprising her character when given a spotlight exploring her story as she's reflecting herself while bringing in at least good action pieces that this film has benefited from, even though there were flaws given/developed. Overall, the film sometimes has its moments from Garner and the action pieces she brought, but the film's level is between the lowest and the below average Marvel film. (B-)

(Full review coming soon)