Elephant Boy Reviews

• Oct 22, 2014

A highly entertaining if somewhat dated film from the late 30's, it marks the film debut of Sabu who would later go on to play in some fantastic films like The Thief of Bagdad. The film is pretty straight forward, but it's a heartwarming story with solid acting and beautiful cinematography.

• Sep 02, 2013

PG film which teaches lesson of humility.

PG film which teaches lesson of humility.

• Aug 04, 2012

I think this is Sabu's first movie. A pretty good tale about a boy and his elephant. The wildlife footage is amazing and the inserted storyline isn't terribly hokey. Based on a Kipling story unread by me.

• Jan 14, 2012

Korda production with Zoltan handling the studio/location work with jungle imagery by Robert Flaherty interspersed. It's an interesting mix, especially the hordes of elephants Flaherty photographs, and 11-year-old Sabu, in his first movie, is charming and effective as the mascot of the colonialist hunting story.

• Nov 18, 2011

sabu shines in this adaption of kipling's tale.

sabu shines in this adaption of kipling's tale.

• Nov 04, 2011

Very dated, but kind of charming in its own way.

Very dated, but kind of charming in its own way.

• Dec 23, 2010

Unbelievable Beautiful Film about the Elephant Hunt India with beautiful Pictures of the Indian Nature and of Hunreds of Elephants, Indian Culture, Tragic & Humour and a Bombastic Soundtrack

• Feb 26, 2009

[center][font=Times New Roman][size=4][img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3mCOm4wxK3M/SaRFEUZSj6I/AAAAAAAAB2Q/nkF5VN_iSWc/s400/elephant.jpg[/img][/size][/font][/center] [font=Times New Roman][size=4]Summary (from IMDB): This black and white movie is based on Rudyard Kipling's "Toomai, of the Elephants", in which a small native lad claims he knows the congregating place of the elephant hordes.[/size][/font] [center][img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3mCOm4wxK3M/SaRE3rU8IyI/AAAAAAAAB2A/h_1RbH-KUug/s400/elephant2.jpg[/img][/center] [font=Times New Roman][size=4]Really, the only thing this movie has going for it is that it's set in the jungle, which is something I enjoy. The story is pretty simple, and passes the time fine, so overall it's not a bad watch. But the acting, characters, technical features, etc. are all mediocre to bad. This feels like it's just a sloppy family movie, which is not what I expected from Robert Flaherty. I'll continue to see his stuff, and hopefully this is his worst.[/size][/font]

• Feb 11, 2009

It's great to see some old-fashioned jungle adventure especially when Flaherty's wildlife photography and Sabu's charismatic performance hold it together nicely.

• Oct 02, 2008

Surprisingly entertaining, oddly constructed (Flaherty's b-roll steals the show), slightly less condescending and troubling, old fashioned adventure story.