Elephant Walk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elephant Walk Reviews

August 4, 2012
I loved this film when I saw it years ago. The elephant stampede at the end stayed in my memory for years. I saw it again recently, and, yes, although I found it slightly dated, I was still thrilled by it. It's Hollywood slush - OK. But it's WONDERFUL Hollywood slush.
July 2, 2012
To quote Gnost, "Delirious mixture of romance and melodrama, with gorgeous location shooting."
July 2, 2012
liz is never more beautiful than in this technicolor adventure
May 1, 2012
One of the great classics of Liz Taylor
½ April 15, 2012
Me basta Elizabeth Taylor como motivacion para volver a verla ;-)
February 8, 2012
What can I say? Elizabeth Taylor, romance, and an exotic location. This movie gets five (5) stars from me!! A must see.
½ April 25, 2011
A boorish d-bag brings a wife back to his family plantation in India, and proceeds to mistreat her. But it's OK, because there's a handsome young man waiting in the wings to give her some loving. Or not. And all the while, the elephants just want to get a drink. And if they're denied too long, they'll wreck up the place but good. Similar stories have been done better elsewhere. And the frequent, clumsy use of blue-screen doesn't help.
½ January 27, 2010
It's like a weird mix of Hitchcock's Rebecca
September 22, 2009
LOVE William Dieterle. The was the American version of Black Narcissus, for me.
½ September 17, 2009
miss Taylor is such a beauty!!
½ July 2, 2009
It's bizarre, but the first 30-45 minutes employ many horror film techniques. But it's a Drama with Romance & Adventure mixed in -- not Horror.
It's always a treat to see Elizabeth Taylor. I kept trying to see if her eyes really are violet (they looked blue to me).
Saldy, Dana Andrews ate no prunes.
May 4, 2009
One of the great classics of Liz Taylor
March 21, 2009
Corny but fun film of the 50's. Except for her first scene in the bookstore, Eliabeth Taylor looks gorgeous, especially outfitted as she is. Every curve and then some shows. A bit talky at first, but gains momentum as picture goes on. Lush scenery, although some process shots look...well like process. Peter Finch is good as the head of the tea plantation and is a bit ruthless at times. Good guy Dana Andrews shows up as a good romantic interest when needed. The elephant stampede at the end is well worth the watch. An awesome movie to enjoy.
March 6, 2009
*I wanted to like this.

*I didn't.

*Yes, I am aware of film styles of the time. That's no excuse.

*I tried watching this *four* times until I finally made it all the way through. Glad I did- I was rooting for the elephants the whole time.
½ March 2, 2009
A wealthy tea tycoon sweeps small-town Elizabeth Taylor off her feet and carries her away to his remote jungle plantation in Ceylon. Once there, his young bride discovers that her husband's enormous mansion was built directly across an active elephant trail, bringing people and pachyderms into constant conflict.

Elephant Walk is a product of the 1950's and it's under-tone of post-war prosperity attests to that fact. Taylor is beautiful and principled and virtuous, the picture-perfect bride. Her husband, Edward Ashley, is struggling with the lingering specter of his over-bearing, recently deceased father and his own heart-felt compassion for his wife. Add to that a handsome plantation manager in the form of Dana Andrews and you've got the makings of a melodramatic love triangle.

The cinematography alone would make this film worth watching, but the sight of Elizabeth Taylor being pursued by a herd of rampaging elephants is the image that every classic movie fan will want to see. Elephant Walk isn't for everyone, but for those of you who can appreciate old-school Hollywood glamor and big budget studio productions it's highly recommended.
½ February 20, 2009
A drama in an exotic locale. It sucked me in.
February 9, 2009
Love Elizabeth Taylor in this!
April 25, 2008
mail order bride in the jungle.
January 21, 2008
Well, it was kind of the same story as Rebecca, except in Sri Lanka and a lot of mad elephants, and not as good. Yeah.
½ December 1, 2007
enjoyed it very very much!!!