Elephants Reviews

• Jul 08, 2019

Lovely complex work by Alex Hanno. The characters are multi-layered, lived in and real. Also felt that the romantic scenes rang true. Well done.

• Jan 10, 2019

What a thoughtful, nuanced, film about relationships. The cinematography and the performances stood out to me the most. Loved the way that relationships unfolded in this gem.

• Jan 04, 2019

So much talent evident here from the writing to the editing and everything in between.

• Dec 31, 2018

Good romantic comedy in the theme of of silver Lining Playbook and Smashed. The realities of relationships enveloped in addictions and further complicated by this being a second try at the relationship. Good acting and writing make this indie film a worthy relatable film watch.

• Dec 31, 2018

Elephants is exactly the kind of film that I love to discover. First, it was clearly created by filmmakers who had a vision and something to say and weren't just following a Hollywood formula. I love that. The relationship portrayed is realistic and the actors pulled it off wonderfully. I also really appreciated the cinematography. Every scene was lit with care to enhance the story. Highly recommend.

• Dec 23, 2018

Who hasn't been there - wanting to re-activate an old love story and then considering all the ups and downs. Elephants gives the main characters a good reason to start their journey just there. Lee, just out of prison, needs a place to stay and his old girlfriend, even though she moved on, allows him to crash at hers for a while. What follows is an intense and rich dramedy exploring all aspects of relationship. it's complex, it's adorable and the actors draw you right into it with their stunning performance. Great cinematography and score make this indie gem complete. I highly recommend watching it.

• Dec 22, 2018

I loved this very realistic, touching portrayal of a complex relationship. It's hard to find movies that explore all aspects, the good, the bad, so I give it a hearty recommendation for single people, couples, old married folks, everyone!

• Dec 21, 2018

Okay, this film really makes me think about how I've felt about past films because the bar has been set so much higher with ELEPHANTS. I hope this gem of a film gets the attention it deserves because this is truly wonderful romantic dramedy. It's not just about two real life characters finding each other, or reconnecting, it's that it delves deeper into the complexities of relationships than one normally sees in studio or other indie films. The cinematography is excellent, the score is spot-on and I felt the performances to be absolutely captivating. I really can't say enough good things about this film, other than it's so worthy of your time. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend. Congrats to the team behind it!!

• Dec 21, 2018

When you think of romance or relationships depicted in film, invariably cliches pop to mind. Boy meets girl, Jennifer Aniston-cuteness, inevitable bliss. To quote the film Annie Hall, "If only life were like this." Elephants is about love, but it eschews such simplistic cliches and instead gives us a look at a relationship that feels authentic and lived in. There's such a wonderfully complicated mix of emotions between the characters in this film. That's the norm in life, but not in the movies... where we often go to avoid life's pain rather than confront it. But Elephants doesn't shirk from that complex reality but embraces it. Which makes not just for good entertainment, but makes this film art. Something one rarely finds in film. There's joy here, laughter. But also genuine sadness. And there's real craftsmanship to the filmmaking. Beautifully shot, well acted, with great music. Writer-Director Alex Hanno is a sure hand behind the camera. With work like Elephants, we have a real artist to watch in the years ahead. Bravo to Elephants!

• Dec 19, 2018

With the indie gem Elephants, Alex Hanno deftly delivers the kind of tonally-changing relationship interplay we pine for - and unfortunately don't often get - in a big studio romantic dramedy. To draw us in, Hanno presents us with once-separated characters now reunited and seemingly back on track: They joyously resume reminiscing, then flirting, then sexing, then arguing in a world that's immediately relatable in its simple complexity. The flirtatious, banter-driven dialogue is tack-sharp, and the chemistry between the lead male and female roles sells the film's core relationship. Spot-on cinematography and well-chosen support music (which veers toward upbeat jazz) drive scenes in which two people that busted up long ago remain irrevocably drawn to each other. Yet Elephants ultimately thrives because it ends where it does for most of us: in that blindly hopeful space between longing for a reanimated relationship to succeed, and that crushing moment in which we're again reminded that previously incurred damage to the dynamic just can't be cleaned up, and will indeed lead to yet another implosion. Kudos to Hanno for crafting an ending which avoids the tired platitudes mainstream cinema too often builds into its offerings in their attempts to create constant sunshine.