Elf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elf Reviews

December 24, 2016
Cementing itself as a (relatively) modern Christmas standard, Elf features a memorable and always endearing performance from Will Ferrell as well as plenty of charm and humor to earn viewings from any season of the year.
December 24, 2016
this was a very immature movie. This was by far Will Ferrel's worst movie Alex Dreger should have played Micheal. It seemed good but it was not, you know zoned it was a very weird movie ecspaccily the scene snowball fight and the story plot is just impossible would go on but I can't cause I do not want to waste my team review this stupid movie. This movie everyone thinks is good but it not that is why i give it 1 1/2 stars. That is 97 minutes I am never going to get back
December 24, 2016
There's something missing if Will Ferrell doesn't make you laugh in this. The last third is all a bit shoehorned but I can forgive this in a nice feel good family Xmas flick with laughs aplenty.
½ December 23, 2016
Finally watched this classic holiday comedy.
December 23, 2016
This is one of those movies that I love for so many reasons. Giving it a perfect score might seem foolish to some people, but I have to watch this every year. Some movies you can skip for a year or two at a time, but for me, this one is a MUST for every Christmas. It is a bit on the silly side, but it does it in a way that I think is wonderful.
½ December 22, 2016
Elf is Will Ferrell near his best. The movie is incredibly funny and has a lot of heart.
December 21, 2016
The last great Christmas film with Will Ferrell giving a hilarious performance.
December 21, 2016
Elf is a delicately bombastic, nonsensical comedy that is absolutely hilarious as well as endearing.
½ December 19, 2016
'Elf' either gets you in the Christmas spirit or you're a cotton-headed ninny-muggins.
½ December 19, 2016
Elf is fun family Christmas film that is rewatchable because it is, and always will be funny. The concept of someone not knowing the general way to act is hilarious and Will Ferrell really does shine in this movie. He was born to play Buddy the Elf. It's the kind of film that puts you in a Christmassy mood even when you weren't before because of the romanticised merriment and festive soundtrack. There aren't many Christmas films better than this one. Maybe Die Hard.
½ December 16, 2016
This has to be one of the most charming Christmas movies ever. It's not really a great movie per se, it's got a lot of family movie clichés and the plot is really pretty basic, but that's kind of part of the charm. It's simple, but it's sweet. Also Will Ferrell absolutely brings it to this role. His character is sweet, charismatic, adorably naiive, and infectiously likable. Without Ferrell, I think the movie would have been fine, but with him it becomes a Christmas classic. I've watched this almost every Christmas since it came out, and while it doesn't make me laugh quite like it used to, I still get a lot of chuckles and the heart of the film makes it so I never get sick of it.
December 15, 2016
This was a hilarious movie for all ages!
December 15, 2016
Elf occasionally has some uneven moments but Will Ferrell's performance, plenty of laughs and even a little bit of charm to it make it a better-than-average Christmas movie in one of Ferrell's most unforgettable roles to date...and that unforgettable role is in one of his more family-friendly offerings.
December 14, 2016
Elf is my favorite holiday movie by far! It makes the whole family laugh. Recommend 10/10
½ December 11, 2016
Elf (2003) - is a Christmas classic enough said........Okay Okay there's more to it then that but regardless it's still an amazing Christmas movie that's filled with a lot of heart, a lot of laughs and most importantly a lot of Christmas spirit. The story is somewhat very insane but yet it's so clever and kinda thought provoking. Will Ferrel as Buddy the elf is hilarious, His childish nature and curiosity really make him stand out and I love how his Christmas spirit impacts the characters he comes across. The rest of the characters are mainly there just to work off of Buddy but that's not a bad thing because each side character can either be nice to Buddy or just plain mean to Buddy. It can often lead to many hilarious or sometimes heartfelt moments. The Cinematography can also be very impressive. I love the calm, magical and soft look of the North Pole and I was even impressed to see that their were some animated "Rakin Bass" Styled characters in some sequences. I also do love some of the shots of New York whether it be outside at the skating rink or inside the mall that buddy decorates overnight. Just those shots alone bring in the christmas feeling and they really do pop with their bright colors and charming set pieces. The music in this movie feels warm and fuzzy and some of the songs they chose to put in this movie really fit the style of the music score. Some of the songs aren't even christmas related but they still work since most of them are soft and relaxing. I have to admit that one thing was sort of distracting and that was some of the segway transitions it's almost like they used a windows movie maker like system and put random transitions into the movie to make it look cool. They don't ruin the movie in any shape or form but from time to time they can be a little distracting to me and I kinda wished they could have cut down on some of those effects. Elf is a great christmas movie, it definitely knows how to get you in the Christmas Spirit as well as burst out into insane hilarity. I loved watching this movie many times as a kid and chances are i'm still going to watch movie even when i'm older. (A)
December 11, 2016
Comedy at its best(for kids). Holiday cheer and lots of funny gags take the stage in elf! Will Farrell's wonderful charm and comedy make a big hit out of a dry story. The plot is simple enough and doesn't need to be. The message is delivered perfectly making us truly believe in Santa. One issue I have with the movie is some botched lines and one spectacular annoyance of when buddy and papa elf are in the shop with the sleigh. He talks in such a way about santa being real and how there is no way that parents could do the job that it is obvious the truth. I wouldn't want this ruining young kids childhood. Besides that scene it is pretty much spotless. I hope you can get just as much charm and cheer as I did out of this holiday flick.
½ December 10, 2016
One of my favorite Christmas movies thanks to Will Ferrell's great performance as "Buddy the Elf".
December 9, 2016
It's so dumb that it works, however I never realized how cheap some of the shots are in this film.
½ December 9, 2016
All of Buddy's childish acts of selflessness are simply the best: he takes a "world's best" public claim from an unknown coffee shop literally, he says hello to everyone even if they respond with a scowl, he decorates homes with paper snowflakes and streamers in minutes, he effortlessly creates a flawless Mona Lisa on an Etch-a-Sketch, and he lives off a strict diet of candy and syrup. You will die of laughter from his sunshiny optimism in a mean city, and his exposure to reality after thirty years gives a serious case of the giggles.

Pretty much everything is done right in this timeless depiction of the famous city. If I was like Buddy coming to civilization for the first time, I too would spin indefinitely through rotating doors, hop on the individual bars on crossing lanes, and maybe even pick gum off the street, basically anything an unsupervised child would do.
½ December 4, 2016
An uplifting Christmas movie with classic Will Farrell at his best. I watch it a few times yearly right around Christmas. One of my Favs.