Elina - Som Om Jag Inte Fanns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elina - Som Om Jag Inte Fanns Reviews

½ March 8, 2010
Klaus Haro taitaa koskettavien kohtausten jalon taidon
½ February 17, 2010
It's a cute little story. Elina is a rebellious 10-year-old who defends her Finnish speaking friend. Of course the teacher doesn't like this. The story has its sentimental moments but all in all it doesn't really convince me.
½ April 18, 2009
Partly a children's movie, but enjoyable to adults too. Probably partially due to the time setting, which I found cutely nostalgic (the children's clothes for example! I feel an urge to start knitting grey sweaters and sewing skirts and scarves for my niece). Hmm... nothing irritated me too much about this film, and it avoids the stereotypic flaws of most Finnish films. Simple, but nice. Bleak but beautiful sceneries.
April 18, 2009
A film I wish had been around when I was a child. Containing both historical and political intrique "Elina - Som om jag inte fanns" is a smart drama about a child belonging to a minority facing the adult world. It turns out that this world has nothing to do with equality and with what's fair. It also depicts a childs struggle to let go of a dead parent in an honest, unsentimental but touching way.
½ April 17, 2009
Beautiful story and very skillfull acting in breathtaking sceneries.
April 8, 2009
I haven't seen a bad Klaus Haro movie yet and this one dosen't dissapoint eather.
April 1, 2009
Berörande, förfärlig och vacker
March 25, 2009
Elina - Som om jag inte fanns is a Sweden- Finnish film. The story of the film is universal, although it sets in the area on the Swedish side of border between Finland and Sweden. Except for the lack of ornamentation, it is a sweet story focusing on dimensions of people. This film treats children's world of mind in a much careful and understanding way. Elina is a gentle, innocent character who is a isolated from others and the society. The acting is quite convincing and the story thought provoking. Overall, I highly recommend this film to people who care about childrent's worlds.
February 18, 2009
kind of boring, but interesting. maybe not really my type of movie.
February 11, 2009
Berlin Film Festival 03' Crystal Bear (Children)
February 8, 2009
SWEDISH!!!
Love it, missunderstod and poor, can't go wrong with that...
Also read the book, amazing!!
½ February 7, 2009
Wonderfully acted and extremely touching, one of my favourites!
November 30, 2008
Great example what the Finnish cinema can offer: a subtle story of a rural town in Sweden where small girl (Elina) tries lead a life that just doesn't fit into the foreign environment. Also story contains element of the yearning of the dead father and how to survive the poverty.
July 16, 2008
What it takes to make a teacher say she is sorry and has behaved stupidly herself? A miracle seldom seen live. Real-feeling story of how a difference of opinion cumulates into a nasty, personal level authority/autonomy fight. Also important issues on ethnic minority and forced assimilation.
June 27, 2008
Beautiful story of growing.. Sometimes children are the ones teaching the elder.. I can't help but love the sceneries.. And wonderful acting from a yourg girl!
May 1, 2008
Having spent the weekend watching Finnish films, this was probably the best and a good introduction to the world of films ala Scandinavia. Like most Finnish films it's a dense yet gentle character study with some surprisingly good acting by the children and a simple plot. A worthy watch before Hollywood get hold of it and remake it in Alcatraz during a nuclear war with terminators or heroin addicts or something.
½ March 28, 2008
Powerful family film which is shot in beautiful location. False lip-sync in the Finnish speaking parts disturb a bit.
January 6, 2008
Excellent children's movie for adults.
January 1, 2008
Uendelig vakker film om modige, sta Elina. Anbefales varmt!